XdN Forum Template Download

Started by Xenomorph, March 15, 2004, 12:35:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xenomorph

Here's some junk to play with. :)

Every time a new version of YaBB came out, from the early perl betas, to the YaBB 1 Gold release, to the YaBB SE transition, and now to the Simple Machines transition, I've always tried to keep the same look and feel to my forum. Now that SMF has what seems to be a phpBB forum style theme manager, I've made my look into a theme for others to use. :)

If I did this all wrong, "oh well." This is more of a test than anything.

Theme is here:
(link removed)

Extract the Zip into a sub folder of your ./Themes directory.

I used "./Themes/xdn_test1"

Install the Theme in the admin/theme section like you'd install any other theme (I honestly haven't found any themes for SMF yet, but then again the beta *just* went public).

I know it looks a lot like the old default (its what its copied from), but I usually just tried to match colors up with my site. It's a darker theme.

HEB XI 1

I get an "image leech" picture when I click your link :)  I typed in all but the actual filename, found the directory listing, and clicked the zip file there.

Xenomorph

Quote from: hebxi1 on March 15, 2004, 01:11:38 AM
I get an "image leech" picture when I click your link :)  I typed in all but the actual filename, found the directory listing, and clicked the zip file there.

whoops!  :P

(fixed now)

Oldiesmann

Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Oldiesmann

Nice! One small problem though:

Your "Theme info.xml" file doesn't reflect your theme. It just reflects the classic theme info. You should fix this.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Xenomorph

You mean the "theme_info.xml" file? I thought I made changes to it to make it not say the Classic theme anymore.

I'll work on it more later. I just wanted to get a quick color change from the default/classic look to how I usually had my forum. i decided to share it because i've never seen a theme for SMF available for download yet.

i'll probably do a color change on the new SMF Default template, do some fun CSS stuff with that, and upload a new template/theme.

Where can I find more SMF themes?

Dustin

Xenomorph

i played around with the new SMF default template to give it my colors too. you can get it here:
(link removed)

screen shot of my first theme:

and screen shot of the new theme (based on new SMF default):

its just pretty basic changes. some CSS changes, some index.php changes, and minor changes to the buttons (mostly made negative)

Xenomorph

i know its all probably silly, but i keep working more on changing little things with the theme.

i'm making more things transparent here (notice the background shows through):

David

Technically, the buttons and theme are distributed as part of the SMF package and as such, it is not permissible to redistribute them at the present time.  We will be working on a system so that you can share themes and button sets, however, none of the package contents may be redistributed.  We are very thankful that Babylonking has allowed us to distribute his paid button set to all of you as part of the default theme, thus it's not fair to him to redistribute his buttons in other colors.  Please remove the links of the redistribution from your posts.  Thanks. :)
This space for rent.

bostasp

David

This space for rent.

Xenomorph

Quote from: David on March 17, 2004, 09:38:21 PM
Technically, the buttons and theme are distributed as part of the SMF package and as such, it is not permissible to redistribute them at the present time.  We will be working on a system so that you can share themes and button sets, however, none of the package contents may be redistributed.  We are very thankful that Babylonking has allowed us to distribute his paid button set to all of you as part of the default theme, thus it's not fair to him to redistribute his buttons in other colors.  Please remove the links of the redistribution from your posts.  Thanks. :)

which buttons/graphics am i not allowed to distrobute? all of them??

bostasp

Any image that was included in the SMF package you downloaded. You aren't allowed to distribute them, or anything from that package infact.

David

This space for rent.

Xenomorph

ok, i can spend the time to replace each and every one of the graphics.

but what about the template/layout source? i have to come up with a layout from scratch? i have to create things like a new calender layout from scratch?  there are things i liked about the default template - am i not allowed to make screens/layout that look similar to the default look because it could be considered that i'm just copying code/redistrobuting modified code?

here is the current look:

its kinda chaotic, but im slowly trying replace all the old stuff with new/from scratch stuff.

David

We understand that it is an issue and are working on solutions.
This space for rent.

[Unknown]

Xenomorph,

Don't worry - we're going to get on this.  We're not trying to stop people from making mods, themes, and such.... but this is beta software, and we're trying to protect SMF from things that happened to YaBB SE in the past that drained development time and generally made for a worse product.

Please, for now, just stop distributing it - soon we will have a new license you can agree to, which will hopefully fix things.  (well, something will fix it; that's still being decided.)

But hey, that's beta software for you, huh?

-[Unknown]

Xenomorph

what happened to YaBBSE in the past that you speak of?

the only thing i noticed was that a lot of people went in all kinds of directions (someone made a perl based forum, and then a lot of people joined in, and then it because a php forum, and then changed to SMF).

[Unknown]

There are a lot of things people did, some of which actually made team members physically sick. (I'm not kidding.)

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: