Package Manager - All Mod installs fail with - Modification parse error

Started by basys, February 26, 2006, 03:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basys

SMF Version: SMF 1.1 RC2
Package Manager - All Mod installs fail with - Modification parse error

Hi Folks

I've just upgraded to SMF 1.1 RC2
and have so far been unable to apply any of the various mods I wish to install.

Every install fails with - Modification parse error

All files and directories contain the correct versions as per the Detailed Version Check,
and they have the correct permissions & ownerships set,
(also fails with the forum and all sub-directories chmod'ed to 777).

I've also repeatedly added the temp directory manually as suggested in another thread.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Many thanks
ATB
Paul

kegobeer

Every install fails with - Modification parse error

Is that the exact error message?
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf
Posting and you (Click "WATCH THIS MOVIE")

basys

Hi Kegobeer.

Many thanks for your reply.

Yes,
when you click 'Apply Mod'
the Installations actions for PACKAGE NAME
the Type column contains 1. Execute Modification
the Description column contains Modification parse error as the exact message.

HTH
ATB
Paul

basys

Hi Folks

Anybody got any ideas what's causing these Package Manager failures please,
I need to get this running as prior to the upgrade.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks
ATB
Paul

basys

Hi Folks

Further info -

If I click [List Files] for any package, the list is created.
If I then click on any listed file, displays its content correctly.
So the server unzipping libraries are working correctly
as is the function ExamineFile().

I looked at the file forum\sources\Packages.php
and edited the temp folder deletion at the end of function PackageInstallTest()
commenting out the lines at rows 388,389

//   if (file_exists($boarddir . '/Packages/temp'))
//      deltree($boarddir . '/Packages/temp');

This allowed me to see the extracted content of the temp directory when [Apply Mod] was clicked.

I've repeated the following several times with different packages
deleting the temp directory & content each time.

Every time I clicked the [ApplyMod]
the temp directory was created
but contained files with zero content -

drwxrwxrwx   2 odg      (?)          4096 Mar  5 19:45 images/
-rw-r--r--   1 odg      (?)             0 Mar  5 19:45 modification.xml
-rw-r--r--   1 odg      (?)             0 Mar  5 19:45 package-info.xml

So something is not working correctly in function PackageInstallTest()
or something called from there.

Any ideas gratefully received.

HTH
ATB
Paul

nightware

I was having the same problems.

I was sure I was doing it all right. No mismatching versions ect.

I tried to create the test library by hand and .... woosh, I got past the screen with all the errors and got to enter the FTP information.

In my first try I forgot the leading slash in the path field, but once I gon the FTP info right it worked. Not only that one package, but several ones.

Good luck

/Nightware

theslam2006

basys, are you still having trouble? Were you able to figure it out? Because im having the SAME friggen problem, and its making me mad. It seems as though not many people know the solution to this problem...if any. Its like only a few people have this problem though....redone is checking it out for me, but im just wondering if you were able to figure it out.

What I find out, ill let ya know.

basys

Hi Folks

Nope,
I never managed to sort it out fully.

However
did learn how to install
through incorporating the changes by manually editing the files.

ATB
Paul

sbarnes

Not sure if this will help or just confuse issues.

I had the exact same problem before I changed hosts. My previous hosts were running in safe mode which prevented me doing various things. Since my change all is well.

redone

Several problems can cause these errors and please be aware that in several cases it can be a host issue. That being said I just fixed a forum with a clean install of SMF1.1rc and adding the latest updated source files.

Download a mod, give the correct permissions to the files it wishes to change and you should be all set. You have to go through the process slowly with one step at time. Start by installing a clean copy of SMF.

If you still cannot get it to work send me a pm. Obviously if it is a host issue I will not be able to fix that for you. ;)

basys

Just to clarify

My problem was only with zip/gzip.

All tars worked ok.

HTH
Paul

bork

I can't install the Karma Description Mod at all - I'm using 1.1 RC2 which the mod is supposed to be compatible with.

I've tried both the 1.9.7 (zip) and 1.9.6 (gz) versions and I always get "modification parse error".

I've made sure that file permissions are all correct, and have even tried manually chmodding all the files to be modified. Nothing makes any difference.

bork

In fact, I can't install any mods at all.

Some appear to install ok, that is, I get "test successful" messages, and then a screen to say the mod has been installed, but the new functionality is never added. When I try to uninstall mods, I also get "modification parse error".

Surely others may also be having problems along the same lines - any pointers as to what these problems are caused by would be a great help.

theslam2006

Thing I found...dont try to do the mods as soon as you installed. And dont do like 10 in a row. It seems to act up if you do many in a row. Wait a day or two, try again. It might say failed, but thats much better then parse error. If it just fails, you can edit the file it failed on manually. With the parse error, you need to do the whole thing manually.

So my tip? Do only a few at a time, and if you get the error, let the board continue on a few days with no other mods being installed, and it should install fine for you. If not, got me.

bork

I can't install *any* mods - the result is always "modification parse error" or they appear to install, but no functionality changes.

This also happens with the "SMF 1.0.7 / 1.1 RC2 Update 1.0" security patch, which means my installation is left vulnerable.

I hope this will be fixed in 1.1 final, because the package manager was one of the main reasons I migrated from phpBB to SMF.

theslam2006

Its fustrating, yes. But you didnt say if you waited...and from teh time I posted, you didnt wait long enough.

Ever since ive learned that installing 10 mods in a row, or doing them every couple of hours can have a bad side effect...ive never had a problem since. Now im not saying this is the only reason why this problem occurs, but its just what worked for me...others have said that its permission problems, or only TAR files worked for them. Make sure all places its trying to mod that the files are 777, and that you uploaded a tar file. and wait a few days now before trying again.

青山 素子

Some hosts have PHP without support for zip, gzip, bzip2, etc. This could be causing an issue. You can check for that support with a phpinfo script.

Package functionality is quite stable, usually the problem is PHP or permissions.

For the security update, check this thread:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=78841.0

The first post has both the package for the package manager, and also some archives of the updated files for upload via ftp.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

bork

Quote from: theslam2006 on July 09, 2006, 03:16:02 PM
Its fustrating, yes. But you didnt say if you waited...and from teh time I posted, you didnt wait long enough.

I just can't see how waiting would affect the installation of packages  :-\

bork

Quote from: Motoko-chan on July 09, 2006, 09:02:52 PM
Some hosts have PHP without support for zip, gzip, bzip2, etc. This could be causing an issue. You can check for that support with a phpinfo script.

Package functionality is quite stable, usually the problem is PHP or permissions.

For the security update, check this thread:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=78841.0

The first post has both the package for the package manager, and also some archives of the updated files for upload via ftp.

Thanks for the link - I've installed the RC update by FTPing the necessary files.

My host has bzip2 enabled.

One thing I've noticed is that PHP Safe Mode is enabled and I don't have a server.list file - any idea whether this would cause problems?

* Edit - php safe mode is actually off *

theslam2006

I never said that was the solution, I only said thats what I did and it worked....

Advertisement: