News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

GMAIL and the SMTP feature

Started by Dave91, March 03, 2006, 06:30:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

unrelenting

Quote from: Motoko-chan on November 03, 2006, 01:43:35 AM
If you don't need the storage of sent messages, just use your gmail address, but send through your web server's mail setup.

Do you know how to set up the built in mail server in windows server 2003 or maybe have a link to a simple tutorial and turning it on? I haven't a clue but would like to use it.

青山 素子

The simplest solution is installing the SMTP server that comes with Windows in IIS (if you are using IIS for your web server this is the easiest way). You could also look into using Mercury Mail also.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

xtremecruiser

Quote from: Goosemoose on November 03, 2006, 01:23:16 AM
Ok, there is a huge problem here that I realized. There is a 500 email a day limit on all gmail accounts. This means that my messages were not getting sent out after about 6pm each day as I had reached my limit. Short of a mod to rotate through several email addresses, this will be a problem for most decent sized forums. Check your error logs in the admin panel to see if this is affecting you.

That email limit is a issue.
Any other emails allow this or have a higher outbound limit ?

青山 素子

That is because you are sending through Google's server. Send through your own server, it should be capable of sending mail.
Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

rabidjade

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but this had the information I needed. I have the same problem where I have no SMTP mail servers to use and already primarily use gmail for my website host on my home server. I installed Mercury mail server but it looks like it's a dedicated server to the Pegasus mail client and has no mention that I could find of being used elsewhere. If anyone knows anything about Mercury, PM me, thanks!

Dozzer

Quote from: Motoko-chan on September 11, 2006, 11:07:18 PM
If you don't mind me asking, why are you trying to use the gmail servers as the outgoing mail server for your forum?

well..  my host does not have SMTP access...
so my new users never get a registration e-mail.
Be a Sorted Student...
www.sortedstudents.co.uk

青山 素子

What about using the PHP default?

Odd that a host wouldn't have any SMTP access on their network.
Motoko-chan

unrelenting

Quote from: Motoko-chan on November 21, 2006, 11:33:21 AM
What about using the PHP default?

Odd that a host wouldn't have any SMTP access on their network.

What has to be set to use the php default without a mail server set up on the server that you use? Is there a setting in php I should look for or elsewhere?

Elmacik

Admin -> Server Settings -> Feature Configuration -> Mail Type
Select "PHP Standard" from the drop down list and save.
Home of Elmacik

unrelenting

Quote from: Elmacik on November 24, 2006, 08:12:31 PM
Admin -> Server Settings -> Feature Configuration -> Mail Type
Select "PHP Standard" from the drop down list and save.

I've tried that. It never connects to send emails that way. I thought maybe there was a setting in the php software that I needed to set to get the PHP email to work.

Elmacik

It should be configured to show the sendmail path in php.ini like this:
sendmail_path = /usr/lib/sendmail
The path differs on servers.
Home of Elmacik

unrelenting

Quote from: Elmacik on November 24, 2006, 08:25:49 PM
It should be configured to show the sendmail path in php.ini like this:
sendmail_path = /usr/lib/sendmail
The path differs on servers.

Where would I look to find the correct sendmail path on a Windows 2003 Server?

Elmacik

There is no sendmail in Windows. There are of course clones of sendmail for windows, but you still need an SMTP server to configure it to work properly.

http://www.google.com/search?rls=en&q=sendmail+windows
Home of Elmacik

unrelenting

Quote from: Elmacik on November 24, 2006, 08:33:50 PM
There is no sendmail in Windows. There are of course clones of sendmail for windows, but you still need an SMTP server to configure it to work properly.

http://www.google.com/search?rls=en&q=sendmail+windows

I was afraid of that. I guess I'll just continue using gmails server.

青山 素子

PHP default uses the standard PHP mail functions. For Windows this uses the SMTP server settings in php.ini. For *NIX platforms, the sendmail path is used.
Motoko-chan

patoforos

dios sera que agluien me explica paso a paso como configuro smtp para mi foro... con gmail o con lo que sea... que no entiendo.. .. graxias :-\

青山 素子

pataforos, please use English or ask on the support board for your language.
Motoko-chan

webtech

I went to simple machines because of the features and themes.  It looks great and will work well for newbies.  BUT I cannot get the smf to send emails. 
When I use the default PHP, I get nothing,, no error,, nada

I then tried every possible SMTP configuration; no email, just error 500

Then I tried the gmail route and had new errors.
fsockopen()[<a href='funtion.fsockopen'>function.fsockopen</a>: unable to connect to hxxp:smtp.gmail.com [nonactive]:465

Quote from: Lazybones on September 11, 2006, 10:01:21 PM
To use the GMAIL SMTP feature just do the following:

Found a way to fix this without altering SMF, it is rather simple.

1. Enable the SSL extension in PHP.ini
extension=php_openssl.dll

2. Use the following mail server settings in server setup
Mail Type: SMTP
SMTP server: ssl://smtp.gmail.com <-- ssl:// is case sensitive
SMTP port: 465
SMTP username: [email protected] <-- replace stars with account and domain name.

In this recomendation, step 1, where do I go to insert this code?

If there is any other help you can give me, I would really appreciate it.  If I can't get this working I am going to have to abandon ship...

I am surprised that since this is obviously a problem for several users that more detailed help is not available.

Goosemoose

webtech, If you can't get the normal php mail to work, I'd email your host and ask them what's up. That is a problem with the php installation or a restriction the host has placed on you.

dewasalju

Quote from: Lazybones on September 11, 2006, 10:01:21 PM
To use the GMAIL SMTP feature just do the following:

Found a way to fix this without altering SMF, it is rather simple.

1. Enable the SSL extension in PHP.ini
extension=php_openssl.dll

2. Use the following mail server settings in server setup
Mail Type: SMTP
SMTP server: ssl://smtp.gmail.com <-- ssl:// is case sensitive
SMTP port: 465
SMTP username: [email protected] <-- replace stars with account and domain name.

where can i find the php.ini? Thank you

Advertisement: