News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Forum template

Started by I, Brian, March 04, 2006, 01:51:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Brian

Love the new forum template look with SMF 1.1 RC2 - much much nicer than before. :)

For usability, the one gripe is the order of links > Mark as Read | Notify | Start Topic | Start New Poll

The order does seem very user-unfriendly - would definitely be better not to simply have start new topic as first in the order, but also highlight that option and poll in a different colour. That way, members not yet used to the forums will be able to use it easier. At present, the link order makes it look almost as if you don't want any topics started. :)

bloc

Interesting. Basically kind of suggest what is the next logical step? or most probable?

I, Brian

Certainly would recommend:

NEW TOPIC | POST NEW POLL | MARK AS READ | NOTIFY

That way it places the emphasis on starting new topics, as I figure that would be the most used links.

Simply feedback for you anyway. :)

rosey

wilcox

That feature is very simple to change.

Just edit the Messageindex.template.php file.  @ line 111 there is an array called " $normal_buttons " Just rearrange the links in that to whatever you want.

bloc

True, its easy to change..question is more: should it be default?

anunlike

Quote from: Bloc on March 16, 2006, 04:00:11 AMTrue, its easy to change..question is more: should it be default?

IMO, it should be.

I'd be interested in hearing if there's a specific reason why it is the way it is now and if anyone has any objections with changing it around so that the ones that are used more are moved to the left.

bloc

The exact wording i am not sure..but there were reasons. They came prior to the new default theme, which I have been more involved with.

Personally I always go into topics index, and read whats new there. I then mark read when I am done, and then maybe think new topic or new poll. Notify comes last for me.

But point is, its different for different people, so we need to at least get some stats on what people actually do.

wilcox

Yea, my vote goes toward having it "Start Topic | Start New Poll | Mark as Read | Notify".

Just an appinion though.

Harzem

I've already changed the order in my forums as:

Start Topic | Mark as Read | Notify | Start New Poll

I vote for the change. I don't need Polls much, so it is the last. But I prefer new topic as the first.

eriktm

I agree with HarzeM
Not using polls so much

anunlike

Quote from: Bloc on March 16, 2006, 06:45:12 AMBut point is, its different for different people, so we need to at least get some stats on what people actually do.

I agree. :)

winrules

Well you could just modify the order of this in MessageIndex.template.php:

// If they are logged in, and the mark read buttons are enabled..
if ($context['user']['is_logged'] && $settings['show_mark_read'])
$buttonArray[] = '<a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=markasread;sa=board;board=' . $context['current_board'] . '.0;sesc=' . $context['session_id'] . '">' . $txt['mark_read_short'] . '</a>';

// If the user has permission to show the notification button... ask them if they're sure, though.
if ($context['can_mark_notify'])
$buttonArray[] = '<a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=notifyboard;sa=' . ($context['is_marked_notify'] ? 'off' : 'on') . ';board=' . $context['current_board'] . '.' . $context['start'] . ';sesc=' . $context['session_id'] . '" onclick="return confirm(\'' . ($context['is_marked_notify'] ? $txt['notification_disable_board'] : $txt['notification_enable_board']) . '\');">' . $txt[125] . '</a>';

// Are they allowed to post new topics?
if ($context['can_post_new'])
$buttonArray[] = '<a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=post;board=' . $context['current_board'] . '.0">' . $txt['smf258'] . '</a>';

// How about new polls, can the user post those?
if ($context['can_post_poll'])
$buttonArray[] = '<a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=post;board=' . $context['current_board'] . '.0;poll">' . $txt['smf20'] . '</a>';

If you want it like this:
Quote from: I, Brian on March 04, 2006, 02:57:23 PM
NEW TOPIC | POST NEW POLL | MARK AS READ | NOTIFY
then you could replace the above with:

// Are they allowed to post new topics?
if ($context['can_post_new'])
$buttonArray[] = '<a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=post;board=' . $context['current_board'] . '.0">' . $txt['smf258'] . '</a>';

// How about new polls, can the user post those?
if ($context['can_post_poll'])
$buttonArray[] = '<a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=post;board=' . $context['current_board'] . '.0;poll">' . $txt['smf20'] . '</a>';

// If they are logged in, and the mark read buttons are enabled..
if ($context['user']['is_logged'] && $settings['show_mark_read'])
$buttonArray[] = '<a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=markasread;sa=board;board=' . $context['current_board'] . '.0;sesc=' . $context['session_id'] . '">' . $txt['mark_read_short'] . '</a>';

// If the user has permission to show the notification button... ask them if they're sure, though.
if ($context['can_mark_notify'])
$buttonArray[] = '<a href="' . $scripturl . '?action=notifyboard;sa=' . ($context['is_marked_notify'] ? 'off' : 'on') . ';board=' . $context['current_board'] . '.' . $context['start'] . ';sesc=' . $context['session_id'] . '" onclick="return confirm(\'' . ($context['is_marked_notify'] ? $txt['notification_disable_board'] : $txt['notification_enable_board']) . '\');">' . $txt[125] . '</a>';

winrules
SMF Developer

My Mods
Please do not PM me for support.

Advertisement: