News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SQL search for and replace feature

Started by sunseeker, March 04, 2006, 02:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunseeker

im looking for a way in my smf db's to do a SQL search for and replace.

anbody know an easy way to do this?

either by using an sql query?

or even one at a time modifications using the cpanel MySQL Databases or phpMyAdmin directly on each reacord?

if you do have an exact SQL query to paste here that would be much appreacited!

thanks!

sm2k

Via phpMyAdmin you can run queries on your database pretty easily.  A query to replace all occurances of some string in a column with a new string would look like this:

UPDATE sometable SET somecolumn=REPLACE(somecolumn, 'oldstring', 'newstring')

You might make a new table to test your query in so that you don't hose anything important :)

sunseeker

thanks!

is that the exact syntax all the way around?

if not, then anybody that has that handy please post if you can. i can replace your db name with mine adn such so dont worry. id rather see the exact query.

i wish i could just edit the data in place.

much appreciated!

kegobeer

What table do you want this query for?  What do you want to replace?
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf
Posting and you (Click "WATCH THIS MOVIE")

sm2k

Quote from: sunseeker on March 04, 2006, 06:20:39 PM
thanks!

is that the exact syntax all the way around?

if not, then anybody that has that handy please post if you can. i can replace your db name with mine adn such so dont worry. id rather see the exact query.

i wish i could just edit the data in place.

much appreciated!

You'd use the query I specified to replace a string value in some table column with a new string value.  So if you wanted to replace all occurances of the word 'taco' with 'burrito' in any message on your forum, the query would be:

UPDATE SMF_messages SET body=REPLACE(body, 'taco', 'burrito')

If what you're trying to do is something simpler, like changing all occurances of poster name 'Bob' to 'Jimbo' in your SMF messages table, you'd just do something like:

UPDATE SMF_messages SET posterName='Jimbo' WHERE posterName='Bob'

You'll have to tell us exactly what you're trying to do.

luiscamino

hi, i have a similar problem of newbieness with sql queries.

i just need to search for some text in a post. i accidentally deleted the FAQ in my forum but should be in the backup tables, in which i would like to search for the word "FAQ" in order to find it.

thanks in advance,
luis gonzález-camino calleja
www.luiscamino.com
www.avantglance.com
www.clubsonyericsson.com

Advertisement: