Spell Check [Merged]

Started by Senkusha, March 15, 2004, 11:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fizzy

I couldn't get spell check to work so I had a chat with my server host, they advise that ASpell is installed but that PSpell isn't.
Is it possible to run Spell Check without PSpell ?
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

Random

My host does have Pspell, but I still get this error with the spellchecker:

Warning: PSPELL couldn't open the dictionary. reason: I'm sorry I can't find any suitable word lists for the language-tag "en". in /var/www/html/test/Sources/Subs-Post.php on line 778

When I asked the host, they said: PHP is compiled with PSpell on our US platform, however it would appear that the language you have specified is not entirely correct. We would suggest changing your script to set the language as en_us or en_gb for either american or british dictionaries

Where would I need to make this change?   ??? :)

[Unknown]

It's under the language files - except, they are totally wrong.  You should use en, actually, if it's installed properly :P.

Aspell is just the new version of Pspell.  You should probably use Aspell instead.

-[Unknown]

Fizzy

Quote from: [Unknown] on April 01, 2004, 12:03:57 AM
Aspell is just the new version of Pspell.  You should probably use Aspell instead.

-[Unknown]

Thanks Unknown, sorry to be dense but can you tell me which language file would contain the path for pointing to Aspell?

[Unknown]

For example, I have a file named "en.multi" in my dict directory:

# Generated with Aspell Dicts "proc" script version 0.50.1
strip-accents true
add en-only.rws
add en_US-only.rws
add en_GB-only.rws

It is so you can use en, not en_us, etc.

-[Unknown]

Fizzy

Sorry about this but I'm getting a bit confused here.

I have been given the path for Aspell from my server host (but I don't have access through FTP to it)
When I check to see if Spell Check will work from the admin panel in SMF it says
Enable spell checking. You MUST have the pspell library installed on your server and your PHP configuration set up to use the pspell library.
Your server DOES NOT appear to have this set up.

So, I'm guessing that I need to tell SMF that instead of looking for PSpell it needs to look for ASpell and to provide it with the path to find ASpell, but I don't know which file I would have to change to correct the path to Aspell.

[Unknown]

Not at all.  It has nothing to do with SMF, it has to do with PHP.

PHP has to be *compiled with support for Aspell/Pspell*.  It doesn't know the difference between the two, but it does need to be recompiled to make it work.

After it is recompiled, a new function - pspell_new - among others will exist.  SMF uses this function, provided by PHP.

-[Unknown]

Fizzy

I see, I don't need to define the path at all.

So when I run phpinfo I should see either PSpell or ASpell in the list .... but I don't. So presumably I need to go back to the server host and give them an "Oi ! turn it on please".

Thanks Unknown

Fizzy

Well I asked the question ...... but the answer was basically "No"  :'(

Apparently Aspell is available as a "standalone feature" what ever that means ??? , but they are not prepared to install PSpell and I can't get SMF spell check working without PSpell. So no spell checking for me i'm afraid.

It looks like my crappy typing will have to stay uncorrected, unless there are any geniuses out there that can offer any suggestions  :)

[Unknown]

Beg someone to write a mod that pipes aspell.  Here's some information on how:
http://www.php.net/pspell (see earliest comment... all the way at the bottom.)

Not promising it's totally doable, but it looks like it might be possible.  Regardless, I'm busy i18n'ing the installer and making it look purdier... or I'd offer to try my hand at it.

-[Unknown]

1948Pal

Heading to feature requests now.
"No matter how long the river, the river will reach the sea".
Eugene Fitch Ware

Armada

I've read through the posts and I'm still none the wiser on:

Warning: PSPELL couldn't open the dictionary. reason: I'm sorry I can't find any suitable word lists for the language-tag "en".

I'm running on a root server... which files do I modify?

Thanks!
Trystan

--- SMF Rocks even more than YabbSE---

[Unknown]

Have you tried upgrading to Beta 4.1?

If that doesn't solve the problem, does aspell work outside of SMF/PHP?

-[Unknown]

1948Pal

Hi y'all. Here I go again.
Well I am in the middle of moving my site to a new host, so I can get my spell checking on the way(among other things), pspell is installed, the admin center and phpinfo says so, I get a "spell check" button, but when I hit it, a clean white window opens up, and after about a minute or two, it comes back saying "page can not be displayed".
Is this mean I messed up something while transferring files, or the server is maybe needs more configuration?
Eugene Fitch Ware

[Unknown]

Aspell .50 should be installed, with the english dictionaries.

I have verified this by setting up a debian distribution and building everything there.  I only ran into problems following publicized information on the subject, and it finally worked when I used the latest Aspell and its dictionary, and recompiled PHP with those.

-[Unknown]

1948Pal

Hey what happened, spell check is gone on SMF.
FINALLY, spell checking is working(new host). But this shows in the error log every time a spell check is done:
2: PSPELL couldn't open the dictionary. reason: The encoding "iso-8859-1" is not known.
This could also mean that the file "/usr/share/pspell/iso-8859-1.map" could not be opened for reading or does not exist.
File: /home/landless/public_html/yabbse/Sources/Subs-Post.php
Line: 771

What need I, or my host do to correct this?
Eugene Fitch Ware

Ben_S

Ignore the message, it doesnt mean much and wont be showin in the next release.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

1948Pal

This is just unbelievable, I am just not having a good luck with this spell check no matter
what. First my host tells me it risky and poses a security issue if they install pspell. So I moved to a new host, who installed pspell and got my spell checking going well on they
most part. Now, this host moves my site to a new server with pspell installed, but now I get this error
Warning: PSPELL couldn't open the dictionary. reason: I'm sorry I can't find any suitable word lists for the language-tag "en". in /home/landless/public_html/yabbse/Sources/Subs-Post.php on line 776
So I get back here and I see no real answer to this error, and I even tried changing the 'en' to 'en_US' in the "index.language.php" file. So I ask the host and I get this reply
Well, I tried a lot but none came up with a solution as it seems as a cPanel bug. Lots of cPanel gurus around the world are also having the same problem under the upgraded verion of cPanel + pspell and it is recommended to update the server without the pspell as this a compatibility issue. So, I'm extremely sorry untill the cPanel release the bug fix we can't do anything in it.
Does this make any sense?
What is the solution? Is there one besides disabling spell checking all together?
Eugene Fitch Ware

[Unknown]

Ah, that lovely issue.  Make sure you/they've installed the LATEST Aspell, with the english dictionary.

-[Unknown]

1948Pal

So I take it it's really no issue if you have the latest Aspell with the english dictionary. OK, I will ask them if they can install Aspell.
Thank you.
Eugene Fitch Ware

Advertisement: