News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Spell Check [Merged]

Started by Senkusha, March 15, 2004, 11:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1948Pal

I contacted my host, I think they need help installing/configuring Aspell. This is what they asked me to do
QuoteAlso, the aspell is installed and working. I also contacted the webmaster of pspell/aspell but no replies from their too. Well, I suggest you to ask your forum members again and ask them if anyone tells you that what procedure they abopt to make it working perfectly alright as their is no such helpful documentation available for it.

Don't worry our whole team is with you and I'm still ready to try it again for you if you can fetch some helpful notes for pspell in your forum. Why I'm asking this because through cPanel it is not possible to install it, I have to go through the manual route(which I also tried once)
Unknown, can you or anyone here suggest a link or some kind of dicumentation on the matter? Or can you offer them your help through my account?
"No matter how long the river, the river will reach the sea".
Eugene Fitch Ware

[Unknown]

Actually, it is possible to install it through Cpanel... or rather, WHM.

The mistake everyone makes is trying to install *pspell*.  Do not install pspell.  That is bad - it will not work, it will give the EXACT ERROR you are getting.  Instead, Aspell .50 is the one you want... the latest release of *Aspell*.  The RPM is available with WHM.

-[Unknown]

1948Pal

I'm beginning to suspect the capabilities of my host, cause I know this thing works almost everyewhere else, and it did work woth Pspell before they moved to new server. But for $4/month... This is what they say
QuoteThis is not fully true as on our previous server pspell was installed via cPanel/WHM and you know that it was working fine. I also gave a try to Aspell .50 but still it not working.

Also, can the langauge tag 'en' be changed to something else recognizable? Cause Pspell is installed but gets this 'en' error like this
QuoteWarning: PSPELL couldn't open the dictionary. reason: I'm sorry I can't find any suitable word lists for the language-tag "en". in /home/landless/public_html/yabbse/Sources/Subs-Post.php on line 776
. I read earlier it can be changed to 'en_us', where should that be.
"No matter how long the river, the river will reach the sea".
Eugene Fitch Ware

[Unknown]

No, changing it shouldn't be necessary.  If they are getting this error, it is likely they don't have the english dictionaries installed.....

I have gotten it working on both Windows and Linux. (Debian)  Don't follow a single thing any online tutorial says, you will get that exact error - which is the "you are using pspell not aspell" error.  Even if they have installed Aspell, they need Aspell-devel, and they need to recompile PHP.

-[Unknown]

djopie

What was the method you had to get Aspell working properly with PHP on IIS, Unknown?
I have Aspell .50 and the english dictionary installed, but just don't know what to do from here to get it to work with PHP

[Unknown]

Well, have you edited php.ini to make it use php_pspell.dll?  You'll need to fix the extensions_dir too....

What version of PHP?

-[Unknown]

LeeH

Hi,

I've been pulling out my hair trying to get the Spell Check feature to work for the board.

Spell check is activated in the admin section.

The question mark icon next to the activation says:
Enable spell checking. You MUST have the pspell library installed on your server and your PHP configuration set up to use the pspell library. Your server DOES appear to have this set up.

My PHPinfo reveals this:
'./configure' '--with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs' '--with-xmlrpc' '--with-ldap' '--with-iconv' '--with-kerberos' --with-pspell' '--with-imap' '--with-imap-ssl' '--with-gettext' '--with-xml' '--with-dom' '--with-dom-xslt' '--with-dom-exslt=/usr/lib/exslt' '--with-fdftk' '--enable-bcmath' '--enable-calendar' '--with-curl' '--with-swf=/usr/local/flash' '--enable-ftp' '--with-jpeg-dir=/usr/local' '--with-png-dir=/usr' '--with-xpm-dir=/usr/X11R6' '--with-ttf' '--with-freetype-dir' '--with-gd' '--enable-gd-native-ttf' '--enable-mbstring' '--enable-mbstr-enc-trans' '--enable-mbregex' '--with-mcrypt' '--with-ming=../ming-0.2a' '--enable-magic-quotes' '--with-mysql=/usr' '--with-pear' '--enable-xslt' '--with-xslt-sablot=/usr' '--enable-sockets' '--enable-track-vars' '--enable-versioning' '--with-zlib' '--with-openssl' '--with-bz2' '--enable-dba' '--with-flatfile' '--with-db4' '--enable-dbase' '--enable-exif' '--enable-wddx' '--enable-trans-sid' '--enable-dio' '--enable-sysvsem' '--with-zip' '--with-mhash'

PHPinfo also reveals:
PSpell Support : Enabled

PHP Version is: 4.38

My SMF board version: SMF 1.0 RC1. Using a untouched Default Theme

No root access for me.

What happen's when I attempt to use

Nothing.  When I do a test post and attempt to use spell check, a smaller pop-up appears that is completely blank.  I receive no error messages of any kind, and no error messages are logged in the admin section.  I don't have access to the phperror log on the server to see if anything has happened.

I thought maybe I should view source on the pop-up window just in case the text is there, but written in the same color as background color.  All I see is a few html tags with nothing in the "body" tags.

I used a "PSP Shell" to do a whereis on both aspell and pspell:

aspell: /usr/bin/aspell /usr/lib/aspell /usr/share/aspell
pspell: /usr/include/pspell /usr/share/pspell

I've read all the posts I can find pertaining to spell check.  So far I can't anything that pertains to me.  I hope I am not asking about a problem that has been solved on this board before.

Thank you in advance for your help!!!

Lee

Edited to add:  Tests were done in Firefox and Konqueror browsers.  IE's pop-up just showed a "unable to find" page.

[Unknown]

You do not need pspell, you need Aspell .50.  It is possible to install older versions, but they will not work.

What version of Aspell are you using?

-[Unknown]

LeeH

Quote from: [Unknown] on August 12, 2004, 01:49:18 PM
You do not need pspell, you need Aspell .50.  It is possible to install older versions, but they will not work.

What version of Aspell are you using?

-[Unknown]

I just found out that they have Aspell .33.7.1 alpha installed.

Looks like I'm screwed unless they update?

Lee

P.S.  Thanks for the response

[Unknown]

Quote from: LeeH on August 12, 2004, 05:33:57 PM
I just found out that they have Aspell .33.7.1 alpha installed.

Looks like I'm screwed unless they update?

Lee

P.S.  Thanks for the response

If you ask them, and they are a decent host, they should be willing to upgrade it for you.  Aspell is actually seldom used, and if it isn't even working I can't imagine why they'd keep it at an older version - although they would have to recompile PHP to upgrade it.

However, I have tested Aspell .50 on Debian and Windows - it has worked in both places.

Good luck.

-[Unknown]

LeeH

Once again Thanks for the response, and of course following up.

I'm in the process of writing a diplomatic email to the hosting outfit now in hopes they will upgrade.

Hopefully since they are using Red Hat, it will be a simple matter of updating a RPM or two.  If they have to do any compiling....  I would be amazed if they helped little ol me on their shared server.

At any rate....  spell checking or not.  This BBS is incredible!

LeeH

After emailing my host and spending the day exchanging emails, my aspell problem is still a problem.

Here's what was talked about, maybe someone has some input?  Some infor I'd rather keep off of the WWW has X's.

Me:
Hi there!

Would it be possible to upgrade Aspell on my server?

Currently my server is using Aspell .33.7.1 alpha. It is very outdated. I
need at least. Aspell 0.50 for the spell checking on my message board to run.

You can find it at http://aspell.sourceforge.net/ [nofollow]

Or hopefully a later RPM to save ya from compiling.

I'm not clear exactly what server I am on. According to PHP info I am on:

xxxx.xxxxx.net??

This confuses me since there is a xxxx and a xxxxxx server.

Thank you very much in advance,

Lee

Them:Hello,

We have upgraded the Pspell version on the server. Please check this from your end.

Me: Thank you for attempting to help.... But I needed Aspell updated.

Type: aspell --help (command line), and you will see that Aspell is:

Aspell .33.7.1 alpha.

My spellchecker on my message board requires Aspell .50.

Aspell .50 is the current version. Aspell .33.7.1 is rarely used and is no
longer supported.

Thank you,

Lee

Them: Hello,

As we mentioned earlier the aspell version on the server is the latest version. The details are as follows
==========
root@jose [~]# aspell -v
@(#) International Ispell Version 3.1.20 (but really Aspell 0.50)
========

Me: Hi Ranish,

We must not be working on the same server!

When I type: aspell -v I get:
===============================================

International Ispell Version 3.1.20 (but really Aspell .33.7.1 alpha)
===============================================
As mentioned in my first post that phpinfo() tells me that I am on xxxx.xxxxxxx.net [nofollow], the IP address is xx.xxx.xx.189 if that is helpful.

I see by your pasted info that you were logged in as root@jose so I'm assuming since we used the same commands and got different outputs that I must be on xxxxxx. I wish I knew how to verify that. I'm sure it would of eliminated the confusion.

Lee

We are working on the same server. The details are as follows
--------
root@jose [~]# ifconfig | grep xx.xxx.xx.189
inet addr:xx.xxx.xx.189 Bcast:xx.xxx.xx.255 Mask:255.255.254.0
root@jose [~]# aspell -v
@(#) International Ispell Version 3.1.20 (but really Aspell 0.50)
root@jose [~]# hostname
xxxx.xxxxxxxt.net
-----------

Please try from your end.

He was posting info proving we were working on the correct server.

Me: I sure feel like a pain in the butt!

I really appreciate you including the details. But I really am puzzled how we see different versions of aspell when we use the same commands.

What I see:
================================================

$ ifconfig | grep xx.xxx.xx.189
inet addr:xx.xxx.xx.189 Bcast:xx.xxx.xx.255 Mask:255.255.254.0
Warning: cannot open /proc/net/dev (Permission denied). Limited output.

$ aspell -v

@(#) International Ispell Version 3.1.20 (but really Aspell .33.7.1 alpha)

$ hostname
xxxx.xxxxxxx.net
=====================================================

I just don't get it. At anyrate, it is not working for me.

Thanks,
Lee

Please provide us with your domain name and tell us how you are getting the details ( is it from the shell and using scripts ).

Me: Ranish,

No problem, but if the public can access this help ticket PLEASE edit the information I am about to give you!

My domain: www.xxxxxxxx.com [nofollow]

I do not have SSH access but am using a php script that let's me do some very basic shell commands. Of course I can't do much because of permissions. I have no intentions of using it for anything other than finding out version information.

The script is called phpshell 2.0.

you can access it by: http://www.xxxxxxxx.com/SHELL/phpshell.php [nofollow]
user: xxxxxxxx
pass: xxxxxxxx

IF this script is something you would rather me not use... I will happily remove.

Just so you know.... I am very grateful for the time you are spending on helping me resolve this. I'm sure it's not easy being on your side of the help desk.

Thank,
Lee

Of course I know he will have me delete the script...  but I had to prove my case of why I'm not convinced the aspell isn't a current version

You are getting the old version because you are using phpshell script. As we mentioned earlier the aspell has already updated.

Also please remove the phpshell script from the domain.

Me: No problem removing the script, was used to untar a file rather than ftp'ing up hundreds of the teeny files it contained.

As far as the current version of aspell is concerned... I guess you've done all you can for me. At any rate... the spell check does not work and it requires that version.

Only thing I can think of that could be causing this problem is that. PHP was not recompiled at the time of Aspell being updated so PHP picks up the older version info that was available when compiled.

That could be why the phpshell picks up the older version rather then the newer updated version?

You are correct, you being logged in as root is much more better than me using a php script to do commands. There is no way I could argue with someone with root access. That's why it was helpful to me when you showed me what you saw at the shell.

Once again..... I am grateful for your attention to my little crises!

LOL

Take Care,
Lee

Them: Lee ,

Php was already recompiled after the aspell update .

====================
root@jose [~]# php -v
PHP 4.3.8 (cli) (built: Aug 13 2004 12:09:44)
Copyright (c) 1997-2004 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v1.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2004 Zend Technologies
with Zend Extension Manager v1.0.0, Copyright (c) 2003, by Zend Technologies
with Zend Optimizer v2.1.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2003, by Zend Technologies
=============================

End of thier help, I think they've had enough of me.

So I don't know, they claim to have aspell updated and PHP recompiled after update, but my spellchecking on SMF board won't work. 
And it really bothers me that the PHP script I used to "telnet" gave me a older version of aspell.  Why would it lie to me???
Is there some other way that "I" can check the version?  And if they are correct that it is updated, and for some crazy reason the servers PHP is "bunged up" and doesn't know what the heck version it is looking at.  Is there a work-around?

I'm just dying to get this cool feature working!!!

Thanks in advance,
Lee

Random

My spell check which had been working with no problems just suddenly didn't any more, with this error again

Quote2: PSPELL couldn't open the dictionary. reason: I'm sorry I can't find any suitable word lists for the language-tag "en".
File: /var/www/html/forum/Sources/Subs-Post.php
Line: 838

Any ideas as to why it just stopped working?  Could it be some change my host made?

_complex

Quote from: Random on January 16, 2005, 03:39:52 PM
My spell check which had been working with no problems just suddenly didn't any more, with this error again

Quote2: PSPELL couldn't open the dictionary. reason: I'm sorry I can't find any suitable word lists for the language-tag "en".
File: /var/www/html/forum/Sources/Subs-Post.php
Line: 838

Any ideas as to why it just stopped working? Could it be some change my host made?

Looks like your dictionarys missing, Your host may have to reset it up. For it to work again.

Random

I asked my host if they had made any changes and got this reply:

QuoteThere was a Redhat (operating system) up2date within the last 2 weeks for
aspell - this may have affected your forum if Redhat have made any changes
to the application or the way it is packaged.

Could this be the problem? 

[Unknown]

Could be.  Tell them to look at http://aspell.sf.net/.

-[Unknown]

Senkusha

Does spell check not work properly in Personal Messages?  I have tried a few times to spell check things, and the only thing that loads is a blank javascript window.  Spell check loads just fine when posting a message, however.
--Senkusha
The Anime Brigade
Anime-style Role Playing Games and Discussion.
(SMF v. 2.1.4, PHP v. 8.0)

c4duser

I tried to get spell check to work but found that my server did not have pspell installed. They offered, however, to install it, for a reasonable fee.  To make sure this was worthwhile, I tried to test the spell check feature of SMF on the test section of the forum and found out that it didn't work at all.  Is this just temporary, or is spell check buggy?

Thanks.

Ben_S

What didn't it work on, and most decent hosts will install it for free.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

danolie

OK... so I need to get my host to install pspell?? Or is it aspell? Sorry, I'm new to all of this. I have the "spell check" buttons, but they end up with a file not found error.

SO... I just need a) clarification on what to tell my host, or b) how to take off that function.

NEvermind... I figured out how to disable spell check. It's not really worthwhile for me to spend time trying to get my host to install a program for me (Hostrocket)

Thanks,

Dan
My first SMF site: http://www.campusadv.com/team [nofollow] (it's a company site, so registration requires admin approval. i you want to check it out, just PM me and I'll send you a temp un/pw).

Advertisement: