News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Spell Check [Merged]

Started by Senkusha, March 15, 2004, 11:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpectroPro

I asked my host to install it, and they agreed that they would do so at no charge.  Of course, they install it for everyone, not just you.  They did state they want to run a few tests before putting it on live which I can not argue with.   So I should have it up very soon.

If anyone here is interested, my host is Sitelutions.  I started using their free dns service as I ran all my own servers locally.  Then I found that they were so reasonable price wise that I had to start using them.  Speed and guaranteed up time for almost nothing.  I have screwed things up many times on my servers, or had problems where something didn't work.  Their tech support is 24/7 and they usually answer and fix a problem within 5 minutes of your sending in a request.  They will even call you to fix something.  Incredible people and incredible service/pricing.  I get nothing for saying all this, but seemed like the right place and time with this topic and last recent posts.  Check them out:  http://www.sitelutions.com   You probably won't find anything even close to their pricing or service. 

I have had close to 10 different hosts, and NONE come even close to these guys support wise.
Stats:  SMF v. 2b4  -  Mambo v4.65  -  Bridge v2.0b1

http://www.therealityrocks.com    http://forum.therealityrocks.com/trr
- Greg

bluevoodu

so do you have to have Aspell & Dictionary for Unix servers?

I have pspell installed but I am getting the same error:

2: PSPELL couldn't open the dictionary. reason: No word lists can be found for the language "en".
File: /home/www/mydomain/forums/Sources/Subs-Post.php
Line: 844

thanks,
†B†V†
We want you to join:
Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

[Unknown]

Yes you do.  As well, you have to have the dictionaries for your version of Aspell installed.

-[Unknown]

Random

I've still not got my spellcheck running again.  Has anyone else lost theirs recently?  It was functioning perfectly until a couple of weeks before the 1.01 upgrade, when it just stopped working overnight and now shows the cannot find dictionary error.  My host admitted they had done an upgrade to Redhat, but surely if this upgrade had affected the way the forum works, everyone would be complaining that their spellcheck had gone?  So far they have completed a maintenance cycle' to update the filesystem, or they said they did anyway, which made no difference.  Other than that, they just keep muttering about 'looking into it' in a non-specific fashion.  Would you say it is probably a host error, and I should nag them more?

Random

Anyone?  Maybe I'll just email them a few more times  ;D

[Unknown]

I would nag them some more... and try the test (spell_test.php) I attached... I think it was in this topic, maybe not...

-[Unknown]

Random

I've had a look through this topic, I can't see the attachment anywhere?? 

I emailed them again last night, they said they'd pass it on to the day staff, but: "This isn't actually a package that is provided as such with hosting accounts though and so they may not be able to rectify the matter for you if it has changed due to a server package update"

Very helpful of them, especially considering my hosting is up for renewal next month.  I may have to point this out when I email again ;D

Random

Ok, I found the test thing in another thread, I uploaded it and then went to the page, was that what I was meant to do? 

The page says: Warning: PSPELL couldn't open the dictionary. reason: I'm sorry I can't find any suitable word lists for the language-tag "en". in /var/www/html/forum/pspell_test.php on line 5

Warning: PSPELL couldn't open the dictionary. reason: I'm sorry I can't find any suitable word lists for the language-tag "en". in /var/www/html/forum/pspell_test.php on line 6

Warning: 0 is not a PSPELL result index in /var/www/html/forum/pspell_test.php on line 8
bool(false)

I assume this means my SMF is definitely fine?

[Unknown]

Quote from: Random on February 13, 2005, 12:53:02 PM
Ok, I found the test thing in another thread, I uploaded it and then went to the page, was that what I was meant to do? 

Yes.

The page says: Warning: PSPELL couldn't open the dictionary. reason: I'm sorry I can't find any suitable word lists for the language-tag "en". in /var/www/html/forum/pspell_test.php on line 5

Warning: PSPELL couldn't open the dictionary. reason: I'm sorry I can't find any suitable word lists for the language-tag "en". in /var/www/html/forum/pspell_test.php on line 6

Warning: 0 is not a PSPELL result index in /var/www/html/forum/pspell_test.php on line 8
bool(false)

I assume this means my SMF is definitely fine?

Yes.  This is a basic example that looks very much like similar examples in the PHP manual.  Give your host the script and tell them if it doesn't work pspell doesn't work :P.

-[Unknown]

Random

Thanks for that test thing, I think it finally convinced them they couldn't keep fobbing me off blaming the forum.  They just emailed me and said they'd done something, and now the spellcheck works.  I think they actually added the dictionary finally  ;D ;D

Chris Berry

Hello, I ran a phpinfo and pspell is installed and enabled, but I am getting this error.

2: PSPELL couldn't open the dictionary. reason: I'm sorry I can't find any suitable word lists for the language-tag "en".
File: /home/httpd/vhosts/jedidefender.com/httpdocs/yabbse/Sources/Subs-Post.php
Line: 838

I tried downloading some 'en' tar.bz2 for aspell, but when I tried to compile it, it errored out saying that the aspell command could not be found.

Thanks

[Unknown]

Are you entirely sure you installed Aspell .50 or higher and the corresponding version of the English dictionary?

-[Unknown]

d3v

My host only has ASPELL which is located in usr/bin/

SMF 1.0.4.

Spell Check enabled in Features and options:

Enable spell checking
(this does not work on all servers!) - X

Is it possible to make it work? I read through most pages here but they refer to PSPELL

[Unknown]

Does a phpinfo page show it as compiled into PHP as wellWhat is phpinfo.php?

-[Unknown]

Fizzy

My host has just installed Aspell .51 but i'm getting the following error message when using ?action=spellcheck

2: PSPELL couldn't open the dictionary. reason: The file "/usr/lib/aspell/en-only.rws" is not in the proper format.
File: /home/domain/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-Post.php
Line: 838

Do I need to add "en-only" in to Subs-Post.php ?
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

[Unknown]

This means that "en-only.rws" has \r's in it, probably... or was improperly uploaded.

-[Unknown]

Fizzy

Thanks [Unknown]

I'll bounce this back to the server host.

Fizzy

This seems to get more frustrating by the day :(

I haven't managed to make any progress with this problem.
I uploaded a copy of spellcheck.php and that works absolutely fine but none of my SMF installations will allow spell checks, I just keep getting the traditional blank pop-up window with nothing in.

Is it possible that the dev team may be able to consider writing in a version of spellcheck.php by Chris Snyder (or making an admin option to use similar code) as a fall back spell checker?

Jazhawk

I'm convinced of two things.  One, my host support sucks like a Hover and spell check support is like nailing Jello to a tree.  Maybe when I get off of Ipowerweb.com, I'll try again but for now, I'm through begging for help to get lipstick on this pig.

-Jazhawk

HEB XI 1

Quote from: Jazhawk on August 30, 2005, 11:41:26 PM
I'm convinced of two things.  One, my host support sucks like a Hover and spell check support is like nailing Jello to a tree.  Maybe when I get off of Ipowerweb.com, I'll try again but for now, I'm through begging for help to get lipstick on this pig.

-Jazhawk

LOL ... I love the analogies :D

Advertisement: