News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Spell Check [Merged]

Started by Senkusha, March 15, 2004, 11:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Senkusha

I've installed a fresh copy of SMF.  I have enabled spell checking, yet when I post, the button for spell check is not present.  Did I miss something?
--Senkusha
The Anime Brigade
Anime-style Role Playing Games and Discussion.
(SMF v. 2.1.4, PHP v. 8.0)

Oldiesmann

I've got 2 copies of SMF set up with spell check enabled and am having the same problem, so I think it's a bug.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Daniel D.

It's not installed on the server ?

bostasp

PSpell needs to be installed on your server before you can use the Spellcheck.

You'll need root access to do this, if you haven't got it just pester your host!

pulpitfire

spell check works off a built-in php function, and not an SMF script.  so if your server doesn't have the spell check option enabled, it won't work in SMF. 

Oldiesmann

Someone please explain how this works. I have two versions of SMF installed with the spell check enabled, and don't see a spell-check button. Someone said I need a "pspell" library for php or it won't show the spell-check button. I see a spellcheck.js file in the Themes folders (default and classic). What's the point of having spellcheck if you need a special php addon before it will work?
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

pulpitfire

spell check is a mod.  if you don't click to enable it, it won't show up.  you can only use it if your server has the spell-check enabled for php.  the js script is just to enable it to utilize the built-in php spell check function, but doesn't actually contain the dictionary, etc. 

Jeff Lewis

Click the question mark in the admin center next to the spellcheck option. It will tell you if your host has it enabled.
Co-Founder of SMF

MrCue

I have it installed, both phpinfo & the admin center say that it should work, but it doesnt.
BTW, this is on windows. and i followed the info from php.net.
I am neither a Pessimist nor an Optimist, Just a Realist.

Eve-Online Forum | View Latest Eve-Online Kills | Site Map | SMF Installation

pulpitfire

Quote from: MrCue on March 15, 2004, 11:57:49 AM
I have it installed, both phpinfo & the admin center say that it should work, but it doesnt.
BTW, this is on windows. and i followed the info from php.net.

and you checked the enable spell check option in the admin features?

MrCue

yeh, when i do that, if you click on spell check you get a 500 error.
The error log contains this
[Mon Mar 15 17:01:36 2004] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Premature end of script headers: /apache/php/php.exe
[Mon Mar 15 17:01:36 2004] [error] [client 127.0.0.1]

[Mon Mar 15 17:01:36 2004] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

[Mon Mar 15 17:01:36 2004] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Please contact the application's support team for more information.

[Mon Mar 15 17:01:36 2004] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Unhandled Error: f:\Program Files\Aspell\dict/en-only.rws: The file "f:\Program Files\Aspell\data/iso8859-1.dat" is not in the proper format.

Thats on my testing server, my live server does pretty much the same thing.

pulpitfire

man, that sounds like a problem with the server.

MrCue

Yeh, but how do i fix it?
Pspell is installed and phpinfo reports its avalialble.

David

I think aspell also needs to be installed if it is not.
This space for rent.

MrCue

http://uk.php.net/manual/en/ref.pspell.php

I followed the instructions there, and after a little playing got apache to start and pspell installed

PHP info says.
pspell
PSpell Support    enabled

pulpitfire

MrCue

To get it to work with windows, you must change the line ending of the files that show in your error.log to be unix style instead of windows.

Senkusha

Okay, thanks for the information.  I still can't get the dictionaries to load.  Where do I need to put them?
--Senkusha
The Anime Brigade
Anime-style Role Playing Games and Discussion.
(SMF v. 2.1.4, PHP v. 8.0)

MrCue

1.) Follow instructions for installing the whole thing here http://uk.php.net/manual/en/ref.pspell.php
2.) Copy the aspell & pspell dll's to the php folder
3.) Locate and download "php_pspell.dll" for your version of PHP. Put it in your extensions dir
4.) Open php.ini and add this line "extension=php_pspell.dll" without the quotes.
5.) Restart your webserver. If it doesnt start you did something wrong.
6.) make or call a phpinfo file and check that pspell is installed.
7.) try using the spell check function in SMF. If you get a "500 internal server error" you need to change the line exdings of "iso8859-1.dat" & "standard.kbd". Try crismon editor to do this.

This is what i figured out over the last 2 days. I hope it helps others in future.

teeps

On clicking the Spell check button I get:
Quote2: PSPELL couldn't open the dictionary. reason: I'm sorry I can't find any suitable word lists for the language-tag "en".
File: /var/www/home/norwic/htdocs/YaBBSE/Sources/Subs-Post.php
Line: 703

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Teeps

Advertisement: