News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Spell Check [Merged]

Started by Senkusha, March 15, 2004, 11:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrCue

how do i find it? I dont know how to use this toy.
I am neither a Pessimist nor an Optimist, Just a Realist.

Eve-Online Forum | View Latest Eve-Online Kills | Site Map | SMF Installation

[Unknown]

Open a command prompt, and type "set HOME" or just type "echo %HOME%" - either should display the value.

Or do you have none?  I have to have one for ssh to work properly.

-[Unknown]

MrCue

HOMEDRIVE=G:
HOMEPATH=\Documents and Settings\Cueball

[Unknown]

So no HOME.  Interesting.... where is your en.pws and en.prepl?

-[Unknown]

MrCue

did a search, couldnt find either file.

Senkusha

When I tested aspell by itself, it created en.pws and en.prepl in the c:\aspell directory (where I installed aspell).
--Senkusha
The Anime Brigade
Anime-style Role Playing Games and Discussion.
(SMF v. 2.1.4, PHP v. 8.0)

1948Pal

Well, so far I still have YSE 155 with some mods installed including a good working SPELL CHECKER, which I really like having and use alot. I like my host (Linux based), and i like YSE, but I am loving SMF and want to upgrade desperately, but I have a problem :(  My host says they had to remove aspell due to "heavy load on the server", so apparently I can't have all the new features SMF has to offer.
What does this mean? The only way for me to get spell check working is to move to a different host? Are there any alternatives other than moving or changing the BBS softwae completely?
"No matter how long the river, the river will reach the sea".
Eugene Fitch Ware

Ben_S

Sounds like your host is talking bs to me, cant see why aspell would put any load on the server.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

1948Pal

I don't really know much about what takes how much processing power, but that was their answer.
IF you know of a good technical note or question that I can suggest to them, would be great.
Eugene Fitch Ware

Winters

Hi newbieyabbie, my host refuses to install anything new, so I am curious what your mod is using instead of aspell?

Oldiesmann

Maybe you two should move to a different host... All I had to do was ask and my host installed it. I don't think that aspell would create that much load on the server - sounds more like "we don't want to install it but can't give you a good reason as to why we shouldn't install it". Most hosts are interested in keeping their customers happy, so maybe you should threaten to move to a different host who actually cares about their customers.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Winters

Quote from: Oldiesmann on March 23, 2004, 01:49:19 PM
Maybe you two should move to a different host... All I had to do was ask and my host installed it. I don't think that aspell would create that much load on the server - sounds more like "we don't want to install it but can't give you a good reason as to why we shouldn't install it".

Well, my host was upfront and said they install additional stuff only as exceptions. (So I need to make one, maybe.) Guess that is the downside of only 5 Euros a month (good speed and reasonable support included).

What's worse than aspell is they don't have zlib (package manager!)

QuoteMost hosts are interested in keeping their customers happy, so maybe you should threaten to move to a different host who actually cares about their customers.

This is a mass hoster (5 Euro), although rated quite well at what could be called the German equivalent of webhostingtalk.

Anyway, apart from the money I sort of dread moving servers again. Instead of threatening them, I think it might be a more promising approach to convince them that their customers will profit from these modules PLUS I am a member of webhost forums where I could post favorable reviews, if I feel they deserve it.

Anyway, newbieyabbe's mod might be a solution for those who can't use pspell, is what I thought.

[Unknown]

That's rediculous.  The bandwidth savings of having zlib installed make it more than worth it.

-[Unknown]

[Unknown]

Good news.

* Added a "Spell Check" button to the signature in the Profile template.
! Aspell now works on windows platforms. (using a workaround, though!)
! Re-enabled language-specific spell checking.  Should work out, needs more testing.

-[Unknown]

Senkusha

Could you let me know what the work around is, please.  Thank you greatly! :)
--Senkusha
The Anime Brigade
Anime-style Role Playing Games and Discussion.
(SMF v. 2.1.4, PHP v. 8.0)

Winters

OK, I must have written a very convincing second note to them because they installed pspell (not without mentioning the huge amount of time and effort it took) -- so if anybody wants to know my the argument I used feel free to pm me! No guarantees though...

Btw., I was misinformed, zlib is installed.

1948Pal

Quote from: Winters on March 23, 2004, 01:00:24 PM
Hi newbieyabbie, my host refuses to install anything new, so I am curious what your mod is using instead of aspell?
Hi Winters. Sorry for the late response. I guess by now you have your spell check going. since your host installes Aspell for you. But to answer your question about my spell checker, it was a concoction from an older idea went back by a couple of madders from Yabbse, it uses a compination of php, and cgi scripts to call an external URL, I think its spellcheck.com, which in turn opens up your form, checks the spelling and corrects the mistakes, much like this checker, but much simpler. It did the job for me tho. It is working with YabbSE 1.5.5, I can't recall the exact steps that made it work.
Anyways, my host still insist that people take advantage of Aspell/Pspell and cause heavy load on server, their exact words were"This is not offered due to misuse and abuse by clients, if we reinstall it it will simply overload the server
23-Mar-2004  19:00:27". It is not easy for me to find another host that will be willing to host my site, due to the contraversal political nature of it, so It is probably better for me not to threaten to move, for now, and since I just renewed with them for one more year, in January, it'll be that much more loss for me.
Is it possible for a host to install Aspell and activate it per wevsite/client, rather than server wide? I'll try with them one more time for the third time, but not sure what argument I should take on. Ant tips? Thanks
Eugene Fitch Ware

Oldiesmann

How do you mis-use/abuse something like that???

As for your question about enabling it on a user-by-user basis, I'm pretty sure that's not possible because it's an add-on for PHP, and unless each user is on their own server, there's no way you could do this.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

1948Pal

Quote from: Oldiesmann on March 28, 2004, 09:43:00 PM
How do you mis-use/abuse something like that???
I am not sure, but I have no argument to bring for them.

QuoteAs for your question about enabling it on a user-by-user basis, I'm pretty sure that's not possible because it's an add-on for PHP, and unless each user is on their own server, there's no way you could do this.
Thanks, that means I am out of luck for now.
Eugene Fitch Ware

Oldiesmann

Yeah... I guess you are, unless you can convince your host that it will be beneficial to them to install it...
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: