News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

AutoSig

Started by snork13, March 15, 2006, 08:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snork13

Link to Mod

Tired of typing your name/username after each post? This mod adds a autosig spot in your profile, so you don't have to sign each post! Tested on default 1.1RC2, 1.1RC3, and 1.1 Final.

**Updated 12/09/06

added:
Ability to turn On/Off via layout settings
Permissions to edit based on membergroup
Permissions to view based on membergroup
Mods
Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
I have been super busy as of late. Working on updates to all my modifications for 2.0.1

DemonicInfluence

Nice mod snork. I will use :D

DemonicInfluence

You should have it so it auto puts a space from the post to the sig..

snork13

Quote from: DemonicInfluence on March 16, 2006, 06:11:33 PM

i added one <br>, could add another ;)
Mods
Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
I have been super busy as of late. Working on updates to all my modifications for 2.0.1

Wolfenrook

I'm confused, SMF 1.1 RC2 already has a sig section in your profile that it adds to your posts.  So what is this for?

Wolfenrook.
Thoughts are free, it's their consequences that often have a cost.

snork13

Quote from: Wolfenrook on March 16, 2006, 06:23:05 PM
I'm confused, SMF 1.1 RC2 already has a sig section in your profile that it adds to your posts.  So what is this for?

Wolfenrook.

you see how you just sign your post  Wolfenrook. well in yor profile you can add that, and you would never have to do it again as you post, thus an auto signature.

like signing each post, some people don't sign posts, i do

-Snork13 <<<----my sig ;)
Mods

Deaks

but you could always do that in your signature itself
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

snork13

Quote from: sloopz on March 16, 2006, 06:31:41 PM
but you could always do that in your signature itself

i guess, but you get the <hr> ;) and it really isn't part of the <body> of the message :)
Mods

Deaks

so whats the difference between your mod and my sig?
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

snork13

Quote from: sloopz on March 16, 2006, 08:14:46 PM
so whats the difference between your mod and my sig?
i hope this example helps, and is what your asking!

-Snork13
Mods

Gary

The difference is like the way [Unknown] signed each post. This would make it much easier for you to do that.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

DemonicInfluence

Quote from: snork13 on March 16, 2006, 06:19:51 PM
Quote from: DemonicInfluence on March 16, 2006, 06:11:33 PM

i added one <br>, could add another ;)

YES. One more. It looks better that way, I tested it :D

Deaks

But the fact is still this mod is doing what your normal signature is there for.  Jusat people choose to add an image or advertise in them.

Yes i can see what you are saying however I personally see it as a waste.
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Wolfenrook

Exactly, as Sloopz says there is already a built in feature to add your signature to your posts, so basicly this is an add second sig to your posts mod.  Which is a little less than good use of time.  Would probably be more to the point to create a mod that removes the <hr> if you really don't like it there, then change your sig to be your sig, rather than and ad or pic.  Just my thoughts on this.

snork13

Quote from: Wolfenrook on March 18, 2006, 11:22:38 AM
Exactly, as Sloopz says there is already a built in feature to add your signature to your posts, so basicly this is an add second sig to your posts mod.  Which is a little less than good use of time.  Would probably be more to the point to create a mod that removes the <hr> if you really don't like it there, then change your sig to be your sig, rather than and ad or pic.  Just my thoughts on this.

both of you are missing the point...have a good day!
Mods

DemonicInfluence

Wolfenrook

I don't think that we are.  This mod adds a signature in the body of the post, which basicly means it adds a sig without using the hr.  Sigs are built into SMF, but with the hr.  Sensible approach to creating a mod to add a sig, remove the hr from the sig system built into SMF.  All that you have done is create a mod that doubles up the sigs, so you have the one built into SMF and a seperate one that adds it into the body of the post.  Personally I wouldn't want to waste the time adding yet another sig line to my forums when there is already one built in.  Odds are this one will end up been used the same as the one built in to SMF is anyway, with folks using it to put a quote etc in it, and then signing their posts manually again.

Quickest way to auto sign your posts, stop putting images, ads and quotes in the sig area and use it for your actual sig.

I'm sure that there are folks who will use the mod, and like it.  I'm just not one of them.

hel8itch

does this only work if you havent got a sig already in the standard sig box on smf?
cos i have one already that i use but the auto one doesnt show up?

DemonicInfluence

Are u using the default theme?

crazie

Just so the naysayers have a practical example of this mod in action:

I run an ATV forum.  Part of the reason I created this forum was to help people with problems that they may have with their ATV.  The absolute easiest way to help them, is to have them put all the modifications to their ATV in their regular forum signature - because it keeps them from having to post this info over and over every time they have a problem.  The <hr> separates this part of the sig from the rest of the body - thus keeping it from being jumbled together. 

Now, some people on my forum sign each post with their first name, or user name.  So, instead of them having to sign each post OR put their name in the regular signature, it allows them to do this automatically, and it separates this signature from the one with their modifications.

I imagine the same principle would apply to almost any technical related board (computers, cars, etc.)

Some message boards may not have a practical use for this, but I do....and a big THANKS to snork13 for this.

Advertisement: