News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

WYSIWYG? (tinymce, fck, etc)

Started by Tachu, March 20, 2006, 02:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tachu

Is there any way I can integrate a WYSIWYG editor, like tinymce, fckeditor, etc. to my simple machines forum?

Thanks

Harzem

There are some reasons why you shouldn't integrate a WYSIWYG editor.

First, it eats up your bandwidth. It is hard to load because of its huge size. Each message posting page will load in more than a few seconds, filling your bandwidth quota.

Second, much of the kiddies will see how they can write beautiful things.

H

Quote from: Tachu on March 20, 2006, 02:33:49 PM
Is there any way I can integrate a WYSIWYG editor, like tinymce, fckeditor, etc. to my simple machines forum?

Thanks

There is this: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=22468.0 however the default SMF editor doesn't take long to get used to ;)
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

hovercrafter

Hey first post here. We just moved our forum over to SMF last night (from PHPBB). I been testing out RC2 for a few weeks now and felt we could safley make the move.

I am actually considering making a plugin for WYSIWYG. I have worked with both tinymce and fck in the past. Actually I use tinymce (advanced layout) on a wordpress installation. One work around I have figured for the bandwidth problem is using the gzip compression feature on it. I do that one my wordpress install and it loads rather quickly. FCK is generally a smaller package than tinymce (although I prefer tinymce over fck) so I might go with that. I know VBulletin has the feature in it and it isn't that bad on load times. I will let you know how I progress through this project.

geddeth

And? What did you end up with, hovercrafter?

H

You should probably send hovercrafter a PM as he may not have notification on for this topic. However as no WYSIWYG mod has been published here I guess the answer is probably no
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Advertisement: