News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMF launches a new Theme Site and a new Online Manual

Started by Compuart, March 29, 2006, 05:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Compuart

As you may have noticed, we've been very busy improving both the Simple Machines main website, and our SMF software. On December 31st, 2005 we released SMF 1.1 RC2. Almost a month later, our new website layout was made public with a surprise launch.  The Mod Site was also renovated around the same time.

Today Simple Machines is proud to announce even more achievements in our continuing development: a new release, 1.0.7, and a patch for 1.1 RC2, and the release of two new services; the SMF Online Manual and the long anticipated Theme Site.

SMF 1.0.7 and RC2
Simple Machines is pleased to release a security update for both our SMF 1.0.x and 1.1 RCx versions. These releases address an input validation vulnerability of the X-Forwarded-For header.  This update can easily be installed through the package manager in both versions.  More details are available in the Community Forum.

SMF Online Manual
The new SMF Online Manual located at http://docs.simplemachines.org documents the installation, use and administration of a Simple Machines Forum. There are also advanced sections detailing how to code new modifications and themes. Please comment and/or make suggestions about any of the articles. Unlike many other software documentation, the Online Manual uses our own software, SMF, with a wiki-like theme created by Bloc. Expect a release of this theme in the near future. It was made to mimick the functions of a wiki-site, and displays first post in a topic with a certain style - and any further posts with a simpler comment-like style. It also use a clever scheme of sorting topics alphabetically. More details on this when it will be released shortly.

SMF Theme Site
In the past, finding and installing themes in SMF has been a hassle, but we are pleased to simplify this for you. The new Theme Site (http://themes.simplemachines.org) gives a wide range of options to allow you to narrow down your search. For example, if you are looking for a 'dark' theme, or just want to see themes designed by your favorite author, you can now sort themes into categories that meet those requirements. Sometimes you may just want a popular theme, so we've added a Featured Themes section.

The Latest and Greatest Theme's section of your Theme Administration page has been left empty for far too long! With the launch of the Theme Site, this section will now know glory. Simply access the Theme Administration page (?action=theme;sa=admin) and the Latest and Greatest section will show you some of the latest themes added, one of our best featured themes, and a random theme for your enjoyment.
Hendrik Jan Visser
Former Lead Developer & Co-founder www.simplemachines.org
Personal Signature:
Realitynet.nl -> ExpeditieRobinson.net / PekingExpress.org / WieIsDeMol.Com

B Patterson

Wow!! Great job on the additions!! The Documentation looks like a really well laid out version of an SMF Wiki (perhaps another project not yet released to public ;) ).

Definately like the theme section.  I do wish you could have the option to "view all" themes available (even if it did paginate them) rather than going category by category.  But other than that small suggestion, really nice job!!

Found some missing info :(
Quote from: SMF 1.1 Online Manual  /  Advanced SMF Stuff  /  Creating Mods and Themes  /  Coding Guidelines  / Mod(ification) Writing Basics
4. Boardmod vs XML
Talk about benefits of both systems.

5. Naming conventions
Talk about naming conventions for variables (maybe)

Bigguy

Awesome work all around, everything looks great to me. :)

CountryLady

kai920

SMF Documentation looks great. Look forward to its general release!

Trekkie101

Quote from: bpat1434 on March 30, 2006, 01:21:12 AM
Found some missing info :(
Quote from: SMF 1.1 Online Manual  /  Advanced SMF Stuff  /  Creating Mods and Themes  /  Coding Guidelines  / Mod(ification) Writing Basics
4. Boardmod vs XML
Talk about benefits of both systems.

5. Naming conventions
Talk about naming conventions for variables (maybe)

That'll be fixed very soon. The Docs should be complete as 1.1 goes final. We're working out hardest :)

But keep reporting anything you see that's incorrect or un-normal and we'll look right into it. :)

klumy

Zenigata

Great! Do you release to public the SMF online script?

Thanks

Skipdawg

Skipdawg's Community