Actually getting help with Invision...

Started by marcamillion, May 31, 2004, 08:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcamillion

There was one post about invision but no one spoke about the process.

I am a total n00b so please bear with me. I have downloaded the converter, but don't know what to do. I don't know where to put the file on my webserver etc. I have two different dbs, where in this converter should I edit to put the respective information ? Can someone pretty much just S-P-E-L-L out the entire conversion process for us non-php ppl. I have reached as far as downloading the converter, but I don't know where on my webserver to put it, etc.

Thanx for your time and patience.

Oldiesmann

Ok. Here's what you do.

First, if you haven't already done so, download and install SMF on your server. If you want to use two different databases, just make sure that the same user has access to both databases.

After you have successfully installed SMF, put the convertor in your SMF directory and run it. This will convert all of the data over to the newly installed SMF board.

After that, you will have to set up permissions and moderators from the admin center in SMF. If you need any more help, let me know.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

marcamillion

Thanks very much. It worked for the most part. But little things in SMF don't function right, for example, the last message posted and the last member joined, etc. Also, avatars and other pictures never converted properly.  Actually, what happened is that people never had avatars before, and now there is a red "X" below their name in the posts.

But how do I solve the other little problems ?

Oldiesmann

Admin -> Forum Maintenance -> Recount all board totals and statistics.

As far as the avatar is concerned, make sure that blank.gif is in the avatars folder. If it is and you still have the problem with the red x's, go into phpMyAdmin and do this:

UPDATE prefix_members SET avatar='blank.gif' WHERE avatar==NULL || avatar == '';
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

marcamillion

Sorry for being a complete dunce....but where in phpMyAdmin do I put the code :

UPDATE prefix_members SET avatar='blank.gif' WHERE avatar==NULL || avatar == '';

Go to my smf board database and what am I looking for ?

Oldiesmann

Once you're in phpMyAdmin, select the database that SMF is using, then click on the "SQL" tab and paste that in the box, replacing prefix_ with your database prefix.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

marcamillion

I tried that and this is the error that I get

ERROR: Unknown Punctuation String @ 55
STR: ==
SQL: UPDATE smf_members SET avatar='blank.gif' WHERE avatar==NULL || avatar == ''
SQL-query : 

UPDATE smf_members SET avatar='blank.gif' WHERE avatar==NULL || avatar == ''

MySQL said:

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax.  Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '==NULL || avatar == ''' at line 1

what should I do ??  :(

[Unknown]

Actually, that's wrong.  Try this:

UPDATE smf_members SET avatar='' WHERE avatar = NULL

Can you give a link?

-[Unknown]

marcamillion

[Unknown]

Try...

UPDATE smf_members SET avatar='' WHERE avatar = 'noavatar'

-[Unknown]

marcamillion