Help Us Out Please

Started by David, March 26, 2004, 01:38:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

[Unknown]

It makes it so that the data is not cached - which in turn makes it more secure. (not stored in some place on the computer - possibly a public computer.)

But, that text is not horribly descriptive... I agree.

-[Unknown]

mibcons

Hi,

First of all kudo's to all off you!

I found the the link View/Delete Members in the admin area does not intuitively brought to mind that I could Manage the members there as well. Hence I change the text to View/Manage Members.

Hope this helps

Michel

Tanks

The next to the XML / RSS admin section dont explain clear enough how to use this option i think.  ;D

[Unknown]

Quote from: Knat on February 28, 2005, 07:20:08 AM
The next to the XML / RSS admin section dont explain clear enough how to use this option i think.  ;D

Thanks, that's likely a good place to add information about it.

Quote from: mibcons on February 28, 2005, 04:31:05 AM
I found the the link View/Delete Members in the admin area does not intuitively brought to mind that I could Manage the members there as well. Hence I change the text to View/Manage Members.

We've hopefully done something to help this confusion in 1.1 - thanks.

-[Unknown]

TXSherry

In the SMF INSTALLER | Create Account page:

My SQL Database Password
"The Installer requires you supply the database password to create an administrator account, for security reasons."

Would be clearer, and more correct, to read (note the typo in the original of : My SQL):

MySQL Password
"The Installer requires you supply the database user password to create an administrator account, for security reasons."

The MySQL database password is (almost always) the ftp password.  The password required here is the one for the MySQL user with rights to the forum's MySQL database.

--Sherry

Louis (CSpotkill)

Re: Sherry's nitpick:
How about "... the database user's password ..." or "... the database account's password ..."

But it's probably better without the extra word (as using less words is always beneficial)
My SMF Mods:

nwowatcher

My 2 cents would be that all help files should be as detailed in as simple English as possible..There is many Newbies (me included) who find after reading some help notes in the question mark are not detailed enough, yes they explain well enough for people who already have a general basic grasp, but in all honesty many newbies do need a fuller explanation..I understand short is sweat but , the easier a function is explained in its simplest terms for all to understand then i would also imagine the less would be needed for many newbies to run to the forum posting for help when all they needed was a better easier help file..

One more thing i love the software it rocks no more to be said.. :)

MrFlicks

Quote from: <? Piranha($fx); ?> on March 26, 2004, 01:39:32 AM
Personally, I've always found all of them hard to understand.

To do these good, you need to . . . *gasp!* . . . THINK N00B!

Hey Im a real NOOB can I see these docs ?

MrFlicks
Double T Teds ®™ 6028 Cartoon Characters www.doubletteds.com

www.tvworlds.com/forum (My SMF Forum)

www.HostTed.net www.AffiliatTed.com www.TransactTed.com www.Tted.co.uk

^Raven^

When using SMF any area that has that question mark icon David showed you click on the icon.  Then you get the "doc" for that feature.  You read it and discern as to its effectiveness and ease of reading.  If you think it could improve you post here with the information so David and crew can make it better.
Jon Reinhart

Owner, CWF GameCast

Public Relations Coordinator, Battlestar Galactica Wiki

anunlike

In: Forum Maintenance > - Remove Old Posts

I was confused as to whether this removed posts automatically or not. I saw the "Remove all topics not posted in for  XX  days, besides stickies." and was really kind of troubled over whether it would do that automatically. I tried making the number of days longer, but there's no 'Save' button.

I know that it doesn't automatically do it, I had to come here to look that up. I think it would be good to say something in particular about this in the pop-up. I've seen other posts about that here as well.

In: Manage Boards > Modify Boards screen

I was also confused as to what 'access' meant when I first started to set these up. I didn't know if it meant that the checked group could read or write or both. I had to go and check to see what this meant, just to be sure.

I think it'd be good to have something about that in a pop-up, basically what this inital access allows. At the time, I was wanting to set it up so that Guests couldn't post, only (all) members. It took me a bit to figure this out.

^Raven^

On here in Profile > Personal Message Options > Buddy List

When I click the question mark icon the buddylist search feature opens.  I'm not certain if this is supposed to happen or if there is documentation we're supposed to see.  But, I wanted to report that here as it relates to documentation.
Jon Reinhart

Owner, CWF GameCast

Public Relations Coordinator, Battlestar Galactica Wiki

[Unknown]

These icons differ:

The first is an action of some sort, the second is help.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: