News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

[Accepted] Borrow a feature from VB

Started by Joseph, July 31, 2003, 10:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joseph

When on the message index, if a topic has many pages, the pages are listed 1, 2 ... 5, 6

I'd really like to see a (all) link after the page listing to load ALL the posts - not limit it to 15....

It's frustrating having to click "next" "next" etc...
Joseph Fung
Co-Founder & CEO, Kiite
Co-Founder TribeHR, Lewis Media, SMF

Meriadoc

on super large threads like 100s of pages long that would take massive load time. but I agree it's a good idea. the hard part about 100+ page threads is that when you're looking for somewhere around page 50. it's kinda hard to get to as you have to jump pages by 2s or 3s many many times. can we also do an 'all' to override the 1,2...5,6 into 1,2,3,4,5,6 ?
If I know the way home and am walking along it drunkenly, is it any less the right way because I am staggering from side to side? : Leo Tolstoy
Everything I know I learned from Calvin and Hobbes.
And patience is about the most useful thing you could ever have.  That and backups. : [Unknown]
If I choose to send thee, Tuor son of Huor, then believe not that thy one sword is not worth the sending. : Ulmo, Lord of the Waters - Unfinished Tales, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Joseph

The compressed pagination is already an option in the mod settings area.

Yes- for a 100 page topic it would be long - but most people don't have 100 pages.

I'm thinking about 3 page topics I want to read - it's frustrating having to click through them.
Joseph Fung
Co-Founder & CEO, Kiite

Douglas

QuoteYes- for a 100 page topic it would be long - but most people don't have 100 pages.

Speak for yourself, boss!  :P

Word Association Redo  « 1 2 ... 101 102 »

I have a few others, I just don't feel like digging through 16000+ threads to find them, LOL!
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

Joseph

LOL

Ket me rephrase that - "People don't have many" such topics ;)
Joseph Fung
Co-Founder & CEO, Kiite

Meriadoc

Quote from: Joseph Fung on August 01, 2003, 02:04:19 AM
LOL

Ket me rephrase that - "People don't have many" such topics ;)
you may want to rephrase it again - I checked my top ten threads, all of them are 3500+ posts at 30 posts a page (not the default 15), that's over 100 pages. And I didn't check the next 10 hottest topics.

Yes, the 'pagination' is a mod setting, which is very nice to have turned on, but sometimes you just need to quickly move around, what do you do? (if you aren't the admin and able to change the setting ;))

[edit - on a side note my top thread is just over 900 pages. this takes a long time to flip through, and I'm guessing I don't even have close to the biggest YSE out there]
If I know the way home and am walking along it drunkenly, is it any less the right way because I am staggering from side to side? : Leo Tolstoy
Everything I know I learned from Calvin and Hobbes.
And patience is about the most useful thing you could ever have.  That and backups. : [Unknown]
If I choose to send thee, Tuor son of Huor, then believe not that thy one sword is not worth the sending. : Ulmo, Lord of the Waters - Unfinished Tales, by J.R.R. Tolkien

Spaceman-Spiff

what about a drop down box for the page numbers?

A.M.A

or some JS input box for the page number!
Really sorry .. real life is demanding my full attention .. will be back soon hopefully :)

Skoen

Or maybe both, with a possibility to add/remove/modify in the admin area.
Alf Otto 'Skoen' Fagermo
Retired Norwegian translator

Aoshi

How about giving each user a preference setting that they can set for how many posts per page?

charlottezweb

Quote from: Aoshi on August 02, 2003, 10:53:31 PM
How about giving each user a preference setting that they can set for how many posts per page?

Beautiful suggestion.  I love it.

Jason

Advertisement: