I have a serious problem [38 days unresolved ]

Started by HarryWx, April 20, 2006, 06:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leipe Po

hmmzzz thought that was a charter privlage?...
There is only one thing more importend to me then coding:
My Girlfriend

Microsoft - "You've got questions.  We've got dancing paperclips."

H

Quote from: Leipe Po on May 17, 2006, 09:02:44 AM
hmmzzz thought that was a charter privlage?...

It depends what sort of mood we're in :P
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Leipe Po

well i'm in a ranting mood...  :o ,
no just kidding, working on a bookmark mod, problem with xml format  :-[
My Girlfriend

HarryWx

Quote from: kegobeer on May 16, 2006, 10:57:11 PM
If you give me FTP and MySQL access, I will install another copy of SMF RC2 on your site.  That's the only thing we can do to help at this point.

PM on the way.

Thanks

Kindred

no... your issue has nothing to do with what Harry reported.

either he or someone else removed the post that I repsonded to...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Leipe Po

My Girlfriend

kegobeer

The default RC2 theme doesn't work, but Bloc's Enterprise RC2 theme works.  I'll compare the two themes and see if I can isolate the problem.
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf
Posting and you (Click "WATCH THIS MOVIE")

kegobeer

Regarding your FTP problems: you didn't enter the correct FTP information.  If you tried with /smf (or /bb in your case) it won't work because of your server setup.  If you add the root name before /smf (or /bb) it works.  I'll send you a PM with the correct information to use when SMF asks for FTP credentials.

I'm currently trying out 1.0.7 on your site to compare some things.

[edit]
1.0.7 installed and works as advertised.  FTP works and the login on index.php works.  Without indepth troubleshooting, the sha1 javascript file seems to be the issue on the RC2 install.  I'm wondering if it works on the login page because the script is loaded twice.  Bloc's Enterprise theme doesn't call the sha1 javascript file at all on the index page.  Hmmm.  If I get some time tonight I'll do some testing.

I also wonder if the long delay before actually connecting to the site has something to do with it.  Perhaps an odd server configuration that hasn't come up until this one particular site.  Again: hmmm.
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf
Posting and you (Click "WATCH THIS MOVIE")

whouse

I was just curious to know if there has been any progress on this issue.  I am not experiencing this myself.  I have just been following it for some days and am rather interested in the outcome.  What the cause and corrective action, if any, was.

Thanks!

Apea

I'm getting the login problem as well :(

Have to login twice (first time get the error), the second time you can log in.

For the admin account, it will not accept the password to get to the admin panel if I'm already logged in.  I have to log out, and then log in to get to the admin panel.

wrongworld

Well, here's an hint that could help who maintains the SMF code. I have the exact same problem others have described here, however I've noticed it occurs in a certain condition.

Like many other SMF users, I have the forum hosted on a remote provider. Most providers offer the possibility to define fake subdomains within you domain, which are in reality Apache redirects of some sort. So, for example, my SMF 1.1 RC2 installation is located at the URL hxxp:myowndomain.com/forum [nonactive], but using cPanel I've also defined a fake subdomain, hxxp:forum.myowndomain.com [nonactive], which points to the normal forum URL.

Now, whenever I go to the forum via the fake subdomain, using IE 6.x, I face the problem described here: first login attempt fails, second login attempt works. On the first login attempt, the browser was pointing to hxxp:forum.myowndomain.com/ [nonactive], on the second login attempt the browser was pointing to hxxp:myowndomain.com/forum/index.php?action=login2 [nonactive], which is normal as the forum has been setup to use hxxp:myowndomain.com/forum/ [nonactive] as its base URL. On some very strange cases, it happened that instead of visualizing the second attempt login page, I was redirected to our home page (hxxp:myowndomain.com/ [nonactive]), but clicking on the browser's back button I found myself inside the forum, logged in!

None of the above occurs if I try to login to the forum using its real URL: from hxxp:myowndomain.com/forum/ [nonactive] I can login immediately without a failure. Everybody else that has SMF installed in an environment similar to mine, and that is experiencing the double login problem, can verify my theory.

To me, it smells like a check on the current URL that fails due to the redirection used by the false subdomain. Hope it helps.

Andrea

Kindred

wrongworld...   

Your error is different form the original report.
turn on subdomain independent cookies in your SMF admin.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

macuser9214

I don't have any info for Harry, but I have to say that he is being very rude, and I know I wouldn't help him. You people are TRYING to help him, which is nice. If he's unsatisified with your service, let him ask for a refund. JMHO.

You people are nice for TRYING to help, even if somtimes, you cant.

Kindred

ok...   that's enough of that.  We have resolved the issues with Harry, there are no need for unhelpful comments at this point.
Слaва
Украинi

whouse

Quote from: Kindred on June 19, 2006, 12:12:06 PM
ok...   that's enough of that.  We have resolved the issues with Harry, there are no need for unhelpful comments at this point.
Kindred,
I agree but I am curious as to the solution.  Was it something that anyone here might benefit from in the future?  If so and if possible, could you please give a short synopsis of the solution?

wrongworld

Quote from: Kindred on June 19, 2006, 10:56:36 AM
turn on subdomain independent cookies in your SMF admin.

Thanks, I would do it, but how? Since I am quite surely offtopic, a pointer to the proper doc or forum topic would be good as well.

Nevermind...

I found it myself, I didn't look properly at all the admin panels. Sorry for the noise generated.

Apea

Quote from: whouse on June 19, 2006, 02:50:15 PM
Quote from: Kindred on June 19, 2006, 12:12:06 PM
Kindred,
I agree but I am curious as to the solution.  Was it something that anyone here might benefit from in the future?  If so and if possible, could you please give a short synopsis of the solution?

Yea, please do post the resolution so I can try it :)

User

I also have/had this problem. But it seems wierd on the temporary solution that I have to use with altering my browser settings.

When I block scripts, and first go to my test board (1.0. 7+ and up to now 1.1RC3) and first login on the  initial sites login page I get on fine - with or without clearing any cache.

If I do not  use a script blocker (cache cleared or not)  I get the error first time and then the secondary error page I can login. If anything this should be the opposite.

This is on Mozilla Firefox 1.5.0.6 and previous. And on IE6 (all patches, etc.) seems to be worse.

Also tried this through DNS and straight IP, does it both ways.

On Firefox, I use NoScript. And IE6 just specific settings to block some scripts in it's settings (options) and all the default settings.

But on this site it works fine if the scripts are blocked/not blocked - my normal browsing. So either a file got corrupted somewhere or perhaps the specific setup of WebServer, php, etc. may have some sort of bug (or SMF does with certain setups).

So is there a solution that worked above from the DEVS that can be shared here? If so, please post it.

And due to the "test" board is strictly private, I will if asked (PM'd - e-mail preferred - DEV only) by Dev only, give them access to try/test.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement: