News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Suggestion for the convertors

Started by qureshi, April 22, 2006, 06:06:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qureshi

SMF Version: SMF 1.1 RC2
Hi there,

Currently, the phpbb converter restarts the ID.MSG value starting from 0. This can be a problem.

A friend of mine converted from a huge phpbb forum, and it went fine and everyone is pleased with the change. However, his forum contained a lot of links to other threads inside his forum. Since the links where posted in a phpbb forum and to a phpbb forum, they where linking to the phpbb file viewtopic.php. Which you should know doesn't exist in smf. However I got around that problem by creating the file and programming it. (you can have the code from me if you want)

But in phpbb links you have a p value in the url when linking to an exact post. When my script converts old phpbb links to smf links it take the p value, looks up the database table with that ID.MSG, and copies that tables ID.TOPIC to the url. However, since the smf-convertor resets the ID.MSG, there is a chance it won't work:

Explanation:
Let say you had 4 posts in your phpbbforum in 2 differents threads:
post id 1 = topic id 1
post id 2 = topic id 1
post id 3 = topic id 2
post id 4 = topic id 2

Now, let's say you deleted post 1 for some reason. Your phpbb-database would now look like this
post id 2 = topic id 1
post id 3 = topic id 2
post id 4 = topic id 2

Now, let's say you convert to smf, It will reset it to:
post id 1 = topic id 1
post id 2 = topic id 2
post id 3 = topic id 2

notice how post number 2 is now in thread id 2, instead of number 1.

I would request that the smf convertor does not reset these values, but keep the same ones.

Btw, Thanks for the convertor, it worked perfectly when I tried it. My suggestion is just a tweak, not a correction of some sort :-)

Nadeem.

Advertisement: