News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Improper group member

Started by Beaman, March 26, 2004, 01:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaman

I just fired up a test board of SMF. While I was learning my way around, I was editing the member groups and somehow... I can't remember exactly as I've spent six hours trying to fix it.. anyways, I ended up with an account that doesn't funtion on post counts in the 'Post count based groups'. I  obviously cannot delete this group and I don't recall how it ended up in the wrong category. I'm wondering if there is a way to reset this mess I've made? Perhaps, by uploading and overwriting 'ManageMembers.php or the like?  No rush is necessary as I'm learning the ropes before I launch it anyways. However, I hope to be guided as what to do to learn from my mistake.   Much thanks in advance, I am very pleased with the features and of course, the look.

Now Remedied. Thank you all, for the great support!!   Beaman.
When the day comes that my internet connection fails, is the day I return back to reality. *Ewww*

David

You should be able to click on the modify link for this group and uncheck the box which makes it based off of posts.
This space for rent.

Beaman

That's the bizarre part. It's in the category for post based member groups, but that option is not available. This is all I have to work with for this specific member group:

Group name:
Color in online list: 
Number of star images: 
Star image filename:
(starting off theme URL/images, you can use $language for the language of the user.)   
Max personal messages:
(0 = unlimited) 

I wish I wouldn't start getting too deep into things before I am comfortable to do so. lol
When the day comes that my internet connection fails, is the day I return back to reality. *Ewww*

[Unknown]

What is the URL to edit this group?  Does it have the number 4 in it?

-[Unknown]

Beaman

Yes, sir. In fact it does:  action=membergroups;sa=edit;id=4

[Unknown]

You cannot delete that post group, it is the only one you cannot delete OR change to not being a post group.

-[Unknown]

Beaman

I take it, it's okay there then?  Should I just leave everything blank? I had some moderator issues where I assigned an account to manage a board as Moderator and I had no mod controls over that said board, I went through the permissions and everything checked out. I forget what I screwed up in the first place and all of this had me worried. Prior, all the groups were set up and operational.. until I started changing things and had that non-post group frozen into the post based group. I would love to start from scratch and have it back to it's original state. I suppose I can overwrite M.M.php with the original, would that get me back to normal?    Thanks.

[Unknown]

Have you set any permissions to the "Deny" state?  Your moderator could be "denied" from doing things...

To get your membergroups back to their original, delete the table and replace it with a backup from YaBB SE - then run upgrade.php again.

-[Unknown]

Beaman

The Mod group is good to go at 0 denies at present. The status shows, pertaining to the starmod.gifs and such, but their function is contained to regular member status.  Maybe that's the best route to go, is to do the overwrite. The last question I bestow upon you is that SMF was a full install versus upgrading YaBBSE, but of course I have all the back-up files needed to do some ftp patching. Which php files would need to be overwritten?      Thanks a million, for your great service.

Tyris

you need to make sure there are no denies in any other member groups this person is in... I think this also includes "un-grouped" members... (a DENY is the most powerful setting because it denies the option regardless of any other settings a user has),

[Unknown]

Just to clarify, a moderator with 10 posts will be in the following groups by default:
- Newbie.
- Ungrouped Members.
- Moderator.

Thus, if there is a DENY on *ANY* of those three groups, they will not be allowed to do it...

Another example, Global Moderators with 10 posts would be:
- Newbie.
- Global Moderator.

And so, if either of these has a DENY, they will NOT be able to do it.

-[Unknown]

Beaman

I went through all the groups and just guests are basically quaranteed. All regulars, 'Ungrouped' are set on either allow or ~black~, the inbetween. I just think I screwed up badly somewhere and this is just one of those time where I wish I could turn back time. lol

Tyris

providing only "Guests" have DENY's, and no-one else there should be no problem what-so-ever...
Hope you figure outs whats wrong anyhow ...

Beaman

I don't understand it either. lol  I wish I did so I could warn others not to do whatever I did. I'm going to do some ftp patches and get everything back to normal.  Thanks a lot, guys.. I really appreciate the help when I don't know what I did wrong in the first place and then asking for advice for a mystery. I just hope I don't do the same thing twice. lol

souleman

membergroup id 4 is the "newbie" group, but you can change the name.  When an account is created, they are automatically put into the "newbie" group (id 4) and into the "Ungrouped members" which means that they are not a part of a group that is not affect by post count.

You were asking which php files need to be overwritten.  Well, I believe (not 100% sure because I haven't gotten that in depth with it yet) that the permissions are all stored in your database.  So to get back to the original permissions, you don't do anything with the php files.  You have to access the database directly.  If you don't care about any of the content and just want to start over, I believe (someone may correct me), that you can just upload the install.php file and smf_1-0.sql file to your server, and run install.php again.

Beaman

I overlooked that one. lol   The newbie group indeed is not post based, I don't know what I was thinking at the time and with my error*, where ever it was, only added to my confusion. This morning, I re-installed SMF today and everything is top notch!!
*I may have to lay blame on my friend that was working on the site as well. lol

Thanks again, I really appreciate all the help.    Beaman

orange

This hardcoding of membergroup 4 seems a little messy - would it be possible to have a setting in Settings.php (or better, in the Admin centre) to choose which the default membergroup is?

souleman

Quote from: Beaman on March 26, 2004, 10:39:48 PM
I overlooked that one. lol   The newbie group indeed is not post based, I don't know what I was thinking at the time and with my error*,

Actually, it is post bassed.  It is between 0 posts and however many posts you set for the next post bassed group. 

Beaman

I understand now; The newbie group is the only 'static' group in the post-based member groups. Hopefully if others are confused, this thread will help them to know that id-4 is the primary starting group.

Quote from: orange on March 27, 2004, 11:40:09 AM
This hardcoding of membergroup 4 seems a little messy - would it be possible to have a setting in Settings.php (or better, in the Admin centre) to choose which the default membergroup is?

These indepth settings just had me confused during the time someone else was working in the Admin center and caused some errors while I was adding extra post-based groups. Everything is figured out and running smoothly.

[Unknown]

Why is it messy?  Just understand that "Newbie" is going to be the first post group they go into.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: