News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SMF 1.0 Beta 4.1 Public Available

Started by [Unknown], March 27, 2004, 10:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bri

<*)))><

ECCShaman

Quote from: [Unknown] on April 01, 2004, 04:12:15 PM

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=2987.0

-[Unknown]

Thanks for the link Unknown - some great answers for chmod settings and why a good server host is critical for a good to great Board / Forum.

I just changed server host's to one of the SMF developers hosting sites because of some of the issues you pointed out in your post. I also figured that it's a great way to help re-pay the developers for doing what they are doing with developing the SMF board software

ECCShaman

Slack

Quote from: [Unknown] on March 28, 2004, 03:29:47 AM
Quote from: Peter Duggan on March 28, 2004, 03:14:36 AM
Just used this to upgrade a local Beta -3.1415 because I still have two similar live boards (not to mention a live YaBB SE) and it went straight through first time. But it's also wrecked my theme, which was based off a copy of the old YaBB SE style SMF default theme and is now appearing as a horrid mixture of my theme and the new default theme, so I'm afraid I won't be upgrading the live boards till I work out why...

Probably because they relied on the default theme's URLs.  Try going into their settings and using the "classic" theme instead as a base.

-[Unknown]

How do you change the theme's "base" setting..?  Are you saying to change "This Theme's Directory" to Classic?

Thanks.

[Unknown]

No, set "this theme's images url" or whatever it is titled to the Classic theme's.

-[Unknown]

Slack

HRM

Hello,

I did the upgrade and its great abd evreythings seems to work right.

I just discovered an error in the Personal Message section:

It's  says the following:

Date
Notice: Undefined index: sort_by in /home/sites/site92/web/forum/Themes/default/InstantMessage.template.php on line 26

And :

From
Notice: Undefined index: sort_by in /home/sites/site92/web/forum/Themes/default/InstantMessage.template.php on line 27

It shows at the top of all messages in the Private message area and further it shows all messages, also the new ones.

What shall I do?

Tnx in advance,
Ed
To install something for the cat's 'cut' is never nice..... (old dutch saying) :D

HRM

I found it yet.

My souce files where not updated..probably I forgot to upload them. Now I did and it seems fine.

ed
To install something for the cat's 'cut' is never nice..... (old dutch saying) :D

eFishie

If you're using SmartFTP, it probably wasn't you.
--Jon

Abstraction Point Electronic Music Community - We don't bite! Really! I promise!

Check out my newest song: Alive

DTG

I asked question about integration of chat in SMF.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=9214.msg85369#msg85369msg85369

That chat could be easily integrated in Yabbse.
And I'd like to integrate it in SMF.

For moderators: it regards to upgrading Yabbse to SMF. Please, don't delete   :D

Tom

I've finally installed SMF on my public forum. My users really love it, and it looks great! Thaks to everyone who helped make it.  :D  The new permissions system is exactly what we needed.

Once the upgrade was over, there were no problems. (But during the upgrade it said "hacking attempt.." whenever you tried to access the forum, heh  ;))

Edit: Oh, and not to mention going from 0.09 load times to 0.07 or less.  ;)

Kero

I have a few questions about SimpleMachines, that I discovered only a few days ago.

1) Is this beta stable enough to be used in a public board ? I mean... I know there's still a lot of bugs (otherwise it wouldn't be a beta), but is it really such a problem, or can I already install this one and have an up and running board ?

2) Do we have an idea of when the next beta will come ?

3) If this beta isn't stable enough, will the next one probably be ?

4) If not, when do you plan to have an "OK" version (I didn't stay "stable", I don't speak about a 1.0 but about a "useable" beta).

Thanks in advance,
Kero.

[Unknown]

1. Several people are, but I think you'd best answer your question by installing a test first.

2. Sorry, we don't give dates yet.

3. The next beta won't be an RC, if that's what you're asking.

4. I consider the current version usable - hey, it's used here, isn't it? - but, an RC will be coming later.

-[Unknown]

Kero

1) Well, I did, but I currently only can try on free hosts, so the problem I have may come from those sh*tty hosts which just can't manage a complex board succesfully, not to mention the ads which can sometimes create some weird stability issues.

2) not even an idea about if its at the end of the month or at the end of the year ? ;)

3) Well, without talking about a RC... but I see that the current version isn't all that bad, so I wondered if the next one would fix a lot of bugs, which would probably allow it to be really useable.

4) Well, yes you're right, and I must admit it seems to do a good job (though 18 queries to show a thread seems A LOT compared to some other BBs, but it seems quite fast and stable which is the most important).

[Unknown]

1. Well, what do you think of this forum?  Like I said, it's SMF...

2. Oh, I have a pretty concrete idea of about when the next release might happen, generally, but as I said, I'm not going to say.

3. Let's see, 135 143 changes (many bugs fixed...) since the 27th - that's 14 days.

4. Well, which is better - 18 queries for one topic, all simple and cachable, or 10, all slow?  Quality over quantity.

-[Unknown]

firewired

Quote from: Kero on April 11, 2004, 07:59:43 PM
1) Is this beta stable enough to be used in a public board ? I mean... I know there's still a lot of bugs (otherwise it wouldn't be a beta), but is it really such a problem, or can I already install this one and have an up and running board ?

Stable enough for me. Just installed the upgrade successfully on hxxp:www.pinoydvd.com [nonactive] which has nearly 300,000 posts from more than 6,000 members. I merged the best ideas from several themes and installed a Mambo front end to keep my advertisers happy. Took about 2 days because of look-and-feel tweaking but overall, it was a painless process.

Congratulations to the SMF team -- you guys are amazing!

Grudge

Quote from: firewired on April 12, 2004, 04:35:10 AM
Quote from: Kero on April 11, 2004, 07:59:43 PM

Stable enough for me. Just installed the upgrade successfully on PinoyDVD which has nearly 300,000 posts from more than 6,000 members. I merged the best ideas from several themes and installed a Mambo front end to keep my advertisers happy. Took about 2 days because of look-and-feel tweaking but overall, it was a painless process.

Congratulations to the SMF team -- you guys are amazing!
That's a very impressive board you have there - I like it!
I'm only a half geek really...

firewired

Hey thanks Grudge -- that made my day. Funny thing is, a rival site that uses YaBB SP already parodied it, colors and all. Amazing the lengths that some people will go to just to get a rise from you.

Acf

i am starting to like smf more and more :)
thanx team! i am loving it :)
Sigh...

tasohio

I just wanted to say so far all worked great. No upload issues or anything. Only had one glitch. Was probably my fault. Said index.php was missing after running for awhile. Looked was still there. Reupload it and everything was fine again no problems. Keep up the great work.

Oldiesmann

This is a question for the devs... I noticed that this site is now using Beta 5. Does this mean that Beta 5 will soon be available for download?
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: