Ultimate Shoutbox

Started by Grudge, March 28, 2004, 09:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grudge

There must be more than just that - there should be about 8-10 liesn returned - that's just the first 100 characters...
I'm only a half geek really...

nameless

I entered your information in that text box

this is what I have:

Skate, Snow, and Surf - SF Boarders - Bringing San Francisco Bay Area boarders together.

[Unknown]

I believe Grudge wants you to click the <- T -> button.

-[Unknown]

nameless

Quote from: [Unknown] on April 22, 2005, 06:08:15 PM
I believe Grudge wants you to click the <- T -> button.

-[Unknown]

You have to be kidding me that's a button? Here's the info you requested:

QuoteCREATE TABLE `yabbse_shoutbox` (
`ID_SHOUT` int(11) NOT NULL auto_increment,
`ID_MEMBER` tinytext NOT NULL,
`displayname` text,
`message` longtext NOT NULL,
`email` tinytext,
`time` text NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY  (`ID_SHOUT`)
) TYPE=MyISAM

Skate, Snow, and Surf - SF Boarders - Bringing San Francisco Bay Area boarders together.

Grudge

Well - there is nothing wrong with that table!! There's no way that install should fail now, basically, the script does this:

$request = db_query("
SHOW COLUMNS
FROM {$db_prefix}shoutbox
LIKE 'id'", __FILE__, __LINE__);
$need_upgrade = mysql_num_rows($request) > 0;

Which means "If the shoutbox table has a column called id, it needs to be upgraded".

As the table you have no longer has a column called id, then $need_upgrade will be 0, and line 66 will no longer be executed! Can you try the install again? I assume you definetly have changed the right shoutbox table - stupid question I know but personally I have so many databases sometimes I edit the wrong thing. Is it *still* the same error message? If so I guess I'll write you a custom package with a different install version in! Won't get time to do that till tomorrow though!

nameless

Grudge, it's the correct table. I triple checked it. I have a lot of db's on this server and another SMF/MKPortal site with a different db prefix though. Thanks for helping me out. :)

IamV

Quote from: Grudge on April 22, 2005, 11:22:21 AM

IamV, you want to do exactly this. Create a blank PHP page like:

<?php
require_once('smf/SSI.php');
ssi_shout();
?>

And set the source of the IFRAME to be this PHP page, easy as that :)

I did what you said & the iframe just loads as the full index page where the shout is located.

nameless

Just testing on my test server and I was able to get it to work but its a clean install of SMF while live server is the upgrade.

On the test server I was able to get the following code to work

<? include("http://domain.com/board/SSI.php?ssi_function=shout"); ?>

The only thing is that the "View All" and "Shout" button don't appear.

However, I got the IFRAME to show the buttons but the only drawback about the IFRAME well for one it's an IFRAME  :D and when you click on the "View All" button it shows the whole page in that small little IFRAME. Is there a way around that? Possibly making the link come up in another browser?

TIA. :)

biocipher

i've just tried to install this MOD via the admin panel and i have changed the settings in the right places but for some reason i can't get it to display on the index..any ideas?

nameless

Quote from: biocipher on April 23, 2005, 08:27:39 AM
i've just tried to install this MOD via the admin panel and i have changed the settings in the right places but for some reason i can't get it to display on the index..any ideas?

biocipher there's some info in the xml file

QuoteExample:
               If you want to add the shoutbox to the LEFT of your web page, you could make the following change in index.template.php.
               Find:

<table width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0"><tr>
<td id="bodyarea" style="padding: 1ex 20px 2ex 20px;">';

and replace with:

<table width="100%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0"><tr valign="top">
<td width="120">', smfshout(), '</td>
<td id="bodyarea" style="padding: 1ex 20px 2ex 20px;">';

This is just a basic example, but should be enough to get you started.

Grudge

nameless, I'm afraid I don't know enough about IFRAME's to say how you do that. I have made a start into having the next version of the shoutbox use javascript to auto refresh. The only problem with it is that it's a little intensive on the server. I guess at the very least I could make it so it used javascript to submit posts so the page doesn't refresh - that would remove the IFRAME requirement. Unfortunately the problem right now is that of time...

robone

I used the script that Col proposed on the 26 March @ 12h31 and its working great. Quite like it on the rights side.

Check it out www.imagin.za.net

Had a few border colour problems. Still need to get the spacing right on the sides, but its now working on 3 of my themes, Default, Classic and Oxygen.

Thanks

Col

Quote from: Grudge on April 26, 2005, 06:04:25 AM
nameless, I'm afraid I don't know enough about IFRAME's to say how you do that. I have made a start into having the next version of the shoutbox use javascript to auto refresh. The only problem with it is that it's a little intensive on the server. I guess at the very least I could make it so it used javascript to submit posts so the page doesn't refresh - that would remove the IFRAME requirement. Unfortunately the problem right now is that of time...

I've had some problems, and have still not quite made the switch over SMF. I'm glad that you mentioned load, as this too concerned me. With your refresh version, it did occur to me that everyone online to the forum having the shoutbox making queries as to new shouts every 5 seconds as potentially problematical. As I indicated before, cannot this just be done at the end of the cycle, or just before the end. Alternatively, changing the query to every 30 seconds would help a lot, but is not as elegant as once every cycle.

Col

Quote from: robone on April 26, 2005, 09:02:44 AM
I used the script that Col proposed on the 26 March @ 12h31 and its working great. Quite like it on the rights side.

Check it out www.imagin.za.net

Had a few border colour problems. Still need to get the spacing right on the sides, but its now working on 3 of my themes, Default, Classic and Oxygen.

Thanks

Let me know if I can help tweak it for you.

nameless

Quote from: Grudge on April 26, 2005, 06:04:25 AM

Grudge, it's all good. I figured that it was a permissions problems.

robone

Hey Col.....its fine for now. Am having fun anyway. Thanks

Jerry

Hey Grudge for 1.1:
Install / Uninstall
Quote1.    Execute Modification    index.php    Test successful
2.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Subs.php    Test successful
3.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/ModSettings.php    Test successful
4.    Execute Modification    ./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php    Test successful
5.    Execute Modification    SSI.php    Test successful
6.    Execute Modification    ssi_examples.php    Test failed
7.    Execute Modification    ssi_examples.shtml    Test successful
8.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/ManagePermissions.php    Test successful
ssi_examples.php never gets done.

- Jerry
Find me on:
Facebook
Twitter
PlanetSMF

"If all you look for is the negative in things, you will never see the positive."

sirknight

The instruction for installation is not good..Im stuck in number 2,4-6..Help please...
This thread is so long, i could not follow.

stargazer_1017

I tried using the shoutbox on my "Starry Night" theme, and for some reason I couldn't see the button. Is there a way I can modify the size of the button and even the input text area?

-Shayna

Col

There is a no shoutbox button, but you have to include the code somewhere in you template for the shoutbox to appear.

I posted a couple of ways of doing this on about page 21. There have been a number of others posted too.

Advertisement: