News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Ultimate Shoutbox

Started by Grudge, March 28, 2004, 09:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

!Hachi!

can i lauch shoutbox in new window.?
                need help..
Happy Ramadan

Grudge

Yes, you want to use SSI to create an empty page with just a shoutbox in it. I've commented on this before, but best check out ssi_examples.php. If you made a page like:

<?php

require_once('SSI.php');
ssi_shout();

?>

Then have a link to that page that would just display the shoutbox - to give you a start at least
I'm only a half geek really...

!Hachi!

Quote from: Grudge on June 10, 2005, 06:13:56 AM
Yes, you want to use SSI to create an empty page with just a shoutbox in it. I've commented on this before, but best check out ssi_examples.php. If you made a page like:

<?php

require_once('SSI.php');
ssi_shout();

?>

Then have a link to that page that would just display the shoutbox - to give you a start at least

Thanks  for your reply i got it and it works..
Happy Ramadan

!Hachi!

one more question can we increase scrolling speed?
Happy Ramadan

Grudge

hassan,

The scroll speed can be adjusted from the shoutbox options that are placed on the "Feature Settings and Options" page.

!Hachi!

Grudge         Thanks for your reply.actually i set it at fastest but problem is that members are using madly :D  in few minutes it reaches to pages  so it take time to see latest reply better to have more speed...i want to modify fastest to super fast ;)  hope to see your reply soon
                            bye take care
Happy Ramadan

Grudge

You do realise that it requires a page refresh to get the latest posts? If you just sit there with the page open you'll only get posts up to the time you loaded the page. If you want the page to "auto refresh" you could put in some javascript to auto refresh the page every 10 seconds - but it would be annoying for people writing a shout in that time.

If you look back about 10 pages I posted an update to the shoutbox which will dynamically update as new shouts are made - maybe worth checking that out? Bear in mind that's relatively untested - and it WILL increase your server load :)

!Hachi!

well i got i just want to increase scrolling speed i edit littel .mod file

Before
'5' => &$txt['shoutbox_35'],

After
'9' => &$txt['shoutbox_35'],

well this works on local server i didn't upload it to my web server i just check it and it works just increase speed.its quite simple though.just want to confirm is it ok or not?
Happy Ramadan

Grudge

That would probably do something, yes.

mager

Does this work for SMF 1.0.4?
http://www.dnlforum.com  Dark and Light Unofficial Forum

Grudge

!Hachi!

Grudge Thanks again
    yes it works perfectly
Happy Ramadan

StormLrd

I've really enjoyed the shoutbox on my forum what i'd like to know is there away i can insert it into the coppermine gallery ive bridged to my forum, I think it would be really cool to be able to shout at either location using the same shoutbox

What would you need to address this possible integration into the already bridged db.

Also for some reason ie, and aol the shoutbox comes out great but firefox it doesnt table out right.

Thanks in advance for your input

Grudge

stormLyd - you can use SSI to include it ANYWHERE on your website. Simply search for SSI here. I've mentioned a lot in this topic to check out ssi_examples.php which is in your forums directory - that shows how to use the shoutbox in SSI mode.

mjg

I feel silly asking this, but where do I set permissions to enable posting by guests?

There's nothing for this under Shoutbox in the "Features and Options" admin area. I'm using the shoutbox with Simple Portal.

SMAguy

OK, this is your basic shoutbox, that's nice, now, will somebody please tell me what a "shoutbox" is? 
Google wouldn't.
I guess what I'm wondering specifically is whether it would be a redundant mod since I already have the chat mod installed.  Sounds like it might be a similar thing (for forum users that is--I know that chat is something completely different under the hood).

Can somebody please enlighten me?

Thank you.

stargazer_1017

I guess if you don't use the chat mod, like me, then you would use the shoutbox. I don't know if I can explain it correctly. . .but it's mostly just to give a shoutout to other members without entering a chat room or posting it in a post on the forum. It also keeps the messages viewable for everyone to see. I don't think the chat mod does that.

Mine is up and running at my forum.

-Shayna

webfly

Well i got it up and running on cerberus theme, SMF 1.0.4 that just gives cell spacing, and so far works perfectly.  Awesome job on it.  btw, i installed it from package manager, then edited index.template.php file

Grudge

Quote from: mjg on June 18, 2005, 12:21:22 AM
I feel silly asking this, but where do I set permissions to enable posting by guests?

There's nothing for this under Shoutbox in the "Features and Options" admin area. I'm using the shoutbox with Simple Portal.

It's a permission - look in the membergroup permissions area.

Glad you got it working webfly :)

webfly

awesome job, sorry for the double post, the only thing i may have to fix is the way when you are viewing picture posts it messes tables up (such as you have to scroll the avatar in the post, and the picture in the post). I allow really large picture sizes (large hosting space that i get basically free, why waste it :P). but i don't think  i will go and screw and awesome mod or theme at this moment in time yet.

Advertisement: