News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Ultimate Shoutbox

Started by Grudge, March 28, 2004, 09:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VanGogh

Quote from: weekend camper on July 17, 2005, 03:55:11 PM
ah, its doing the right actions shout and shout_archive but it is remaining on the "pure" /index.php page -- meaning I can't see the archives page.  Missing files or improper pacmanager? 

Super strange.  Will dig around the code/uploaded files later on.  Using Bloc's Helios 1.1multi and shoutbox(); as the calling line.  And like I said, a super fresh install (yesterday) of the Shoutbox.

I'm having the same problem under the same circumstances.  The only difference is that I'm using Bloc's Themis 1.1 . Has anyone solved this?

IamV

I'm sorry if this has been asked, I did several searchs & didn't find it in the 35 pages of this thread...

How would I add either the smiley previewer to the shoutbox, or preferably a link for the smiley pop up? 

weekend camper

As a follow up to my problems, Grudge actually narrowed it down to a messed up index.php install.

Do a manual install on the index.php and you may be OK!

:)

PS Thanks Grudge!

VanGogh

Right...  manual install...   :-\

Can anyone give me an idea of how I do that, or at least point me in the right direction of where I could find more information on it? (I've become sadly addicted to the package manager... lost all my l33t 'by-hand' skills apparently.  :P )

Thanks!

weekend camper

yeah, its not the easiest thing to find:

short answer:  looky in the .xml file that comes with (any?) mod.  What the pac man does automagically, is spelled out there.  In this case, look for Index.php and match your Index.php code to the mod's changes. hint:  find and replace works wonders.

longer answer:  dig through the package SDK http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=20319.0 and find the
Quote\package-sdk_0-5\modifications\readme file
That explains how to make a mod, so you may be able to piece together how to manually do what the pac man does for you.

sabastina

To do the manual install, you need to downloaded and unzipped the package.
Then look inside for a file with a mod in it (not sure how to refer to it properly) this file will give you the instructions for installing the mod manually.  If the package you want to install doesn't have a mod file, you'll need to open the xml file (I use notepad to do it) and find the instructions in there.

hope this helps some.

Sabastina

IamV

I found a great set of instructions for manually installing mods:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=34526.0

VanGogh

Got It!

Thanks to one and all for the help!  ;)

IamV

Quote from: IamV on July 23, 2005, 05:53:01 PM
I'm sorry if this has been asked, I did several searchs & didn't find it in the 35 pages of this thread...

How would I add either the smiley previewer to the shoutbox, or preferably a link for the smiley pop up? 

Does anyone have an idea?

weekend camper

Quote from: IamV on July 28, 2005, 04:28:55 PM
Quote from: IamV on July 23, 2005, 05:53:01 PM

Does anyone have an idea?

Look around (my version is line 900ish of 1.0.5) of Post.template.php.  That should get you started.

i was trying to edit the shout.template.php...
what i cant really understand is how "template_shout_form()" gets loaded into "template_shout_box()"

the archive template is okey since it loads  shout form template clearly by adding template_shout_form() into it...

how come i will change order of form and box in the template_shout_box()
i want to do this

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%">
  <tr>
    <td width="100%">shout form</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td width="100%">shout box</td>
  </tr>
</table>

IamV

I found the smiley code near where you said it is for you.  But just can't find the right spot to add it for it to show up in the shout box.

Either it doesn't show up at all - or I get massive errors

Quote from: 061 on July 29, 2005, 11:16:56 PM
i was trying to edit the shout.template.php...
what i cant really understand is how "template_shout_form()" gets loaded into "template_shout_box()"

the archive template is okey since it loads  shout form template clearly by adding template_shout_form() into it...

how come i will change order of form and box in the template_shout_box()
i want to do this

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%">
  <tr>
    <td width="100%">shout form</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td width="100%">shout box</td>
  </tr>
</table>

so  ???

hel8itch

can someone please tell me where i should put the code for the shoutbox to show up at the bottom of the forum?in the info centre?

hel8itch

ok forget that i managed to get it at bottom..but not sure if i like it lol.
how do you make it so its in a neat box?
at the moment its the width of the forum and looks mega ugly

Col

Hiya grudge,

With one thing and another, I am only now getting around to installing my forum proper. I asked a long time ago if it was possible for the script enquiry to check for new shouts to just the once, at the end of each cycle, so cutting server load. I don't think I saw a reply. Might this be possible somehow?

Thanks.

Grudge

hel8itch,

You need to put some html arround the call to the function. For example, if you surround the box with a div with a set width (<div width="50%">) then it will fill that width.

Col,

Sorry, that request must have got lost! Currently it checks for a shout every 5 seconds. I'm afraid I'm on holiday from Friday so ain't going to get to this before then. I don't think that would be too bad on the load (The new version of the shoutbox was lighter than the old one anyway), and you could change the reload time in shout.template.php (look for setTimeout) to something like every 20 seconds. Ideally for the xml reload I would have it pointing to a "lighter" script which only loaded the bare minimum from the database (settings) - but it would make it slightly more complicated to handle the can_delete permission. This is probably something I should look at I know - it's just time isn't on my side. With your "once every cycle" thing - if you just mean it should only refresh once, you could change the setTimeout function to 10000 (10 seconds) and remove the call in the function called "function doAutoReload()" - that would mean it would refresh once at 10 seconds but never again.
I'm only a half geek really...

Col

Hi Grudge,

Yeah, I meant once every time it comes around, ideally just before the last x number of shouts begin a new cycle.

I guess I'll turn the checking function off, to get a base line, and then turn it on on see if there are any server strains. I guess there won't be though, as my forum ain't that popular! :D

Thanks, and enjoy your holiday.

Col

I can't remember this being mentioned before, but why does the shoutbox jump at the end of the cycle in FF and NS. There is no gap like there is with IE and Opera. I have the shouts scrolling up, but when the cycle begins its repeat, instead of starting at the bottom of the box and scrolling up, they start at the top, and immediately scroll off the top. This is why there is an apparent jump. It's pretty ugly. :(

mennou

when i try to buy  i got this  error  how can i  fix it?
Table 'mixspot_smf3.smf_shop_inventory' doesn't exist
File: /usr/home/mixspot/public_html/forum2/Sources/shop/Shop.php
Line: 208

Advertisement: