News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Ultimate Shoutbox

Started by Grudge, March 28, 2004, 09:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pastortravis

I have been trying to addthe Shoutbox to my main page, but I either get nothing or a Hacking Attempt notice.

Is there a way or a code need to make this happen?

My site, www.2911youth.com [nofollow], is a basic HTML formated site...  I have been reading the SSI information that was with ShoutBox, but it stops short of telling you what to do.

Thanks for any help!

r0khan

hey im trying to make it smaller since its so big, is there a way to resize it? not width wise, but hight wise?

weekend camper

Quote from: pastortravis on November 09, 2005, 10:24:00 AM
I have been trying to addthe Shoutbox to my main page, but I either get nothing or a Hacking Attempt notice.

Is there a way or a code need to make this happen?

My site, www.2911youth.com, is a basic HTML formated site...  I have been reading the SSI information that was with ShoutBox, but it stops short of telling you what to do.

Thanks for any help!

My best advice is to get some other SSI function working on your main page first ... maybe the welcome or the top posters bit.  My best guess is that 1)your host has some apache/php setting "wrong" or 2) you're almost, but not quite getting the script right -- meaning its likely not the shoutbox SSI that is the stumbling block here.

Did you read the main SSI examples? in the root SMF directory?   Did you read the excellent SSI FAQs written by Tomer?

I see that you have the SMF shoutbox working on your forums, so we can discount that as a problem area.

Col

Quote from: Foreverpurple on November 08, 2005, 09:12:09 PM
I was finally able to get a good download of this.

Can't quite get it to display the way I want but I'm working on it.  It seems to stutter and skip in Firefox also.

Yep, skipping happens in NS too. It appears like this because the gap that should appear at the end of the scroll is missing. I posted about this more than three months ago, but it seems that Grudge is busy with other things, and can no longer support this mod. Shame, I like it a lot, as there are few things that need to be looked at.

Foreverpurple

Same here as do my members.  Turning off the scrolling is a temporary fix at least.

Col

Quote from: Foreverpurple on November 10, 2005, 05:20:17 PM
Same here as do my members.  Turning off the scrolling is a temporary fix at least.

I've just done that. I had inteneded to before, but just forgot about it (I usually use IE to browse). The problem is that it makes the box very long, so I've reduced the number of shouts displayed to six. Not ideal, and is still a bit too long.

Has Grudge said anything about others being free to work on his mod? It would be nice to get this bug ironed out.

weekend camper

Quote from: Col on November 10, 2005, 06:15:04 PM

Has Grudge said anything about others being free to work on his mod? It would be nice to get this bug ironed out.

I've asked (almost) the same Q on the Charter Members section, but no response yet.

ToyDozer

Quote from: ToyDozer on November 08, 2005, 09:55:27 PM
Quote from: Jerry on November 07, 2005, 01:35:36 AM
Quote from: ToyDozer on November 07, 2005, 01:10:51 AM
Can anyone help me out getting the shouts to align left rather then center? I think it would clean things up on my layout a bit. Make it visually easier to scroll down the list of whos posting...

Find it here running on 1.0.5 running helios_multi theme..
http://www.wheelingadventures.com [nofollow]

Thanks in advance
Jon
edit shout.template.php
find:
echo '
<center>';

change <center> to <left>.
find:
</form>
</center>';

change </center> to </left>

Well I got the left alignment thing taken care of though the suggested method didn't work but it did get me in the right area. Now I would like to be able to re-orient the "View All" "Input box" and the "Shout" button into a table 3 columns wide to make it a little shorter overall. Any help with that?

Well I finally got it! Though I do have to re-figure out the layout on the archive view all page cause it kind of got fouled up in the fixing of the main shoutbox to make it more vertically compact. Figuring it out as I go...  Keeping my fingers crossed and my files backed up!!!

Jon Stensaa
www.wheelingadventures.com [nofollow]
[email protected]
Accelerator : The stomped out hole in the floarboard!!!!

ToyDozer

Ok now i've really done it and i'm hoping someone can help me out here..

With the changes that I did to get the "View all" "Message" and "Shout" fields to display in a table 3 wide somehow it seems that now when I type in my shout and hit the "Shout" button I get forwarded to the Shout Archive page, when on the shout archive page if I type in a message there and hit the shout button it posts my message just fine but only if I use the message window which is on the archive page and not the one in the shout box itself.. Make sense? Anybody have any ideas??

Heres the link to my page http://www.wheelingadventures.com [nofollow]

As always thanks in advance!!
Jon Stensaa
www.wheelingadventures.com [nofollow]
[email protected]
Accelerator : The stomped out hole in the floarboard!!!!

.Chief

I am trying to get the code in my index.template.php and I have no idea where to put that code. I would love to have it at the top below header. Here is my hxxp:www.socom3.org/pk [nonactive]....and I would love to have it in the area were I talk about what server we are on ect. I am using the helios_multi board as my theme. Any would be great!

RoarinRow

Quote from: .Chief on November 13, 2005, 03:26:41 PM
I am trying to get the code in my index.template.php and I have no idea where to put that code. I would love to have it at the top below header. Here is my board....and I would love to have it in the area were I talk about what server we are on ect. I am using the helios_multi board as my theme. Any would be great!

I'm using Helios too.  I like exactly where you put yours.  Would you please please tell me what you did to get it there.

Thanks!

SMF 2.0
TP 1.0 RC1.1
Wordpress 3.1.3

Pratt

Hi! I have a question.. is there a way to restrict the time between the shouts?

I mean, i have had a lot of "shout-spammers" lately and i would like to give an amount of time between each shout... In other words, if someone posts a shout, is there a way to make him wait about 5 minutes untill he can shout agian?

Thanks

Col

Quote from: Pratt on November 15, 2005, 08:06:19 PM
Hi! I have a question.. is there a way to restrict the time between the shouts?

I mean, i have had a lot of "shout-spammers" lately and i would like to give an amount of time between each shout... In other words, if someone posts a shout, is there a way to make him wait about 5 minutes untill he can shout agian?

Thanks

If you don't allow guests to shout, then create a basic members group, and check 'deny' to shouts, and add problem members to this as 'no primary membergroup'. I don't think that is what you are really looking for, but hope it will be help.

RoarinRow

When I delete an entry in the shout box I get thrown back to the index page.  What do I need to do to stay on the same page/theme that the shout box is in?

Thanks.

SMF 2.0
TP 1.0 RC1.1
Wordpress 3.1.3

Col

It could do with a series of check boxes, and check all, that's for sure.

Does anyone know if Grudge is developing this at all now, or if he's allowing others to develope this?

tX

weekend camper

Jako

'Ello all,

Just a question from a n00b and a completely PHP-illiterate moron. I'm using Helios, and I was wondering if it's possible to have the Shoutbox appear inbetween the Info Center and that credits bar [the one where it describes how fast the page loaded and how it's created by Bloc) and have it scroll horizontally. If so, could someone be so kind as to detail the PHP I would need to alter and edit?

~Jako
Maximus: Brothers, what we do in life... echoes in eternity.

RoarinRow

Quote from: Jako on November 24, 2005, 03:35:43 PM
'Ello all,

Just a question from a n00b and a completely PHP-illiterate moron. I'm using Helios, and I was wondering if it's possible to have the Shoutbox appear inbetween the Info Center and that credits bar [the one where it describes how fast the page loaded and how it's created by Bloc) and have it scroll horizontally. If so, could someone be so kind as to detail the PHP I would need to alter and edit?

~Jako

In one section of my forum I use Helios Multi.  I put my shoutbox where you describe.

Open up index.template.php

After this section:

// Show the menu here, according to the menu sub template.

And before this section:

// The main content should go here.  A table is used because IE 6 just can't handle a div.

Add this:

// Shoutbox

if ($context['user']['is_logged'])
{
          echo '<div style="padding-left: 0px; align: left;">'.$topbox.'<div style="padding: 6px; text-align: left;"><table width="99%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0"><tr><td width="15%" bordercolor="black">Shoutbox <BR><font size="1">Newest posts at top</font></td><td width="79%" class="smalltext" bordercolor="gray" align="left" style="font-family: verdana, arial, sans-serif;">', smfshout(), '
          </td><td width="5%"> </td></tr></table>'.$botbox.'</div>';
}
else
{
          echo '<div style="padding-left: 0px; align: left;">'.$topbox.'<div style="padding: 6px; text-align: left;"><table width="99%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0"><tr><td width="15%" bordercolor="black">Shoutbox <BR><font size="1">Newest posts at top</font></td><td width="79%" class="smalltext" bordercolor="gray" align="left" style="font-family: verdana, arial, sans-serif;">
          </td><td width="5%"> </td></tr></table>'.$botbox.'</div>';

}

All this assuming you installed the Shoutbox mod and enabled it in the 'Edit Features and Options' section.

SMF 2.0
TP 1.0 RC1.1
Wordpress 3.1.3

Jako

Thanks for all your help man, but it definitely did not do what you said it would. o_o Haha.

It went inbetween the Stats bar and the news fader box, completely covering up the panel with "Home, Search, Admin, etc." and the messages didn't even go horizontally, they showed up vertically.

Thanks for you help, though. :) Anyone got any ideas?
Maximus: Brothers, what we do in life... echoes in eternity.

Advertisement: