Ultimate Shoutbox

Started by Grudge, March 28, 2004, 09:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fcnet

Can someone explain it from the beginning please.There are 45 pages and everything is complicated:(

1.Is it compatible with 1.1 RC1?
2.After installation where should we put the codes in index.template.php,please give an example for the beginners.There are 500 lines in this php file,where should we put that ******?
3.Does it work with Turkish language?

I have many questions in my mind,please someone help?

weekend camper

Quote from: fcnet on November 25, 2005, 04:36:35 PM
Can someone explain it from the beginning please.There are 45 pages and everything is complicated:(

1.Is it compatible with 1.1 RC1?
2.After installation where should we put the codes in index.template.php,please give an example for the beginners.There are 500 lines in this php file,where should we put that ******?
3.Does it work with Turkish language?

I have many questions in my mind,please someone help?

1. look at reply #658 in this thread
2. it really depends on where you want it placed... either be specific about where you want it, or just place the code in 'somewhere' and see where it works ... and swearing isn't really appropriate on these boards (little kids and all that).
3. no idea but probably.

45 pages is a lot yes, but i strongly urge you to read most of it anyways ... almost any Q you would have is likely already answered ... and the forum search feature is working great again with the new server here.

greyknight17

I need urgent help on this one.  I installed the ShoutBox manually on one of my themes.  Everything worked fine yesterday, but it totally bombed out on the server (probably for most of the day and night).  It's been verified by my webhost that the forum was opening a lot of connections to MySQL and not closing it.  Is this because I enabled the live update for the shouts in ShoutBox or something I did wrong on my end?

If I wanted to uninstall this mod, how can I change/remove those database changes?  I know how to edit the PHP files, but don't know about the SQL part.

Earlier I got a SMF database error...saying it might be my server.  Now I get this error only:

Can't open file: 'yabbse_sessions.MYI'. (errno: 145)

EDIT: For some reason, I have a whole bunch of backup_yabbse_.... tables listed in phpMyAdmin also.  Can I use the backup copy of yabbse_sessions for this?  Not sure about the .MYI part.  Not very savvy in database...

Forum is down  :'(

Thanks.

greyknight17

Got it up and running again...I don't know why this worked, but it did.  What I did was I made a backup of my current database.  Then I just re-uploaded it to my webhost and that seems to have fixed the problem.  Any explanation on this?

Does anyone know what caused this problem in the first place?  Web host said it was opening a lot of connections to MySQL but not closing it.

Do I need to worry about it again?  Correction to my post above.  What I meant to say was that I checked that box in the ShoutBox settings (it says that it may cause the server to overload or something to that extent).  Did that cause the problem?  I unchecked it hoping that fixes everything...hopefully it won't go crashing tomorrow...again.

One last question.  Can someone mention where each file in this mod package goes?  I know where most of them go since the .mod file (and even the .xml file) mentioned them.  But I remember seeing like one or two more where I didn't know where to put exactly.  Did a search here and saw a path mentioned and just moved one of those files I found to that directory instead (forgot name of file now).

Col

You mean the 'Refresh' function. In an earlier version, Grudge made it query the database every 0.5 seconds, if I remember correctly, and would refresh if there were fresh shouts,but he changed it to evert 5 seconds because of load issues. Did you download this recently, or some months ago? - If some months ago, it would be worth you checking that you have the last version.

I too have the query option unchecked. The shoutbox refreshes with each page reload. It's not  ideal either if members start using it as some kind of chat (it can eat bandwidth like that, and cause extra load too). This probably isn't a problem in reality; it's just the way an old shoutbox I had with a YaBB forum ended up being used, but that functioned in a way that made it more 'chat friendly'.

greyknight17

Sorry about that...yeah the Refresh option  :D

I unchecked it once I got my forum back up and running again.  It should be the most recent version.  I got it through package manager just the other day.

Yeah, I was actually thinking of the ShoutBox as more of a chat room.  Still wondering if I should get back the chatroom.  I never used it much and from time to time had problems with the Java loading.

Col

Grudges shutbox will not work well as pseudo-chat, as you need the refreshes. Also, you need to increase the length of messages allowed, but I'm sure that is easy enough. Members will have to refresh the whole page, which can't be good in you have 10 doing it the same time, and it's will definitely eat bandwidth. - I'm sure you could put it in an iframe, and just refresh that though.

However, these would be far better:

Integrated Chat Mod.

Also, there are instructions somewhere for integrating FlashChat into your SMF forum. I think it costs just £5, or $5 for FlashChat, so is well worth considering too. - Can't find it at the moment, search is down again. - I thought that was fixed! ::)

Edit: Here it is!

Madley

I ask you a little help.
I installed shoutbox correctly and It works. Now I've seen that in Internet Explorer there are some empty lines before the first one....but in firefox no... Is possible to modify the shout in this way eve for firefox...   ???

Thanks..

Col

Hi Madley,

It's a bug. It's been mentioned before by myself, and others. It also occurs in Netscape. The solution is turn off scrolling in the Shoutbox options. Yes, it would be nice if someone could sort this out. Grudge seems to stopped giving support for this and most of his mods as he is too busy with other SMF developments. I'm sure that it will get sorted out eventually.

Madley

Quote from: Col on December 01, 2005, 10:12:36 AM
Hi Madley,

It's a bug. It's been mentioned before by myself, and others. It also occurs in Netscape. The solution is turn off scrolling in the Shoutbox options. Yes, it would be nice if someone could sort this out. Grudge seems to stopped giving support for this and most of his mods as he is too busy with other SMF developments. I'm sure that it will get sorted out eventually.

Thaks for your answer Col.
I think the solution is quite simple but i don't know php otherwise i'll do it myself....  ::)

Col

I think it's a Java Script problem, but ain't sure about that. No, it's nothing I can fix either. Turning off scrolling is the best option for now.

alianos

5.     Execute Code     shoutPdb.php     
6.    Execute Modification    index.php    Failure
7.    Execute Modification    ./Sources/Subs.php    Success

when installing.

any ideas? forum just has Joomla bridge and PHP 4 compatibility upgrade!

Sven0

Quote from: ToyDozer on November 11, 2005, 03:00:53 AM
Quote from: ToyDozer on November 08, 2005, 09:55:27 PM
Quote from: Jerry on November 07, 2005, 01:35:36 AM
Quote from: ToyDozer on November 07, 2005, 01:10:51 AM
Can anyone help me out getting the shouts to align left rather then center? I think it would clean things up on my layout a bit. Make it visually easier to scroll down the list of whos posting...

Find it here running on 1.0.5 running helios_multi theme..
http://www.wheelingadventures.com

Thanks in advance
Jon
edit shout.template.php
find:
echo '
<center>';

change <center> to <left>.
find:
</form>
</center>';

change </center> to </left>

Well I got the left alignment thing taken care of though the suggested method didn't work but it did get me in the right area. Now I would like to be able to re-orient the "View All" "Input box" and the "Shout" button into a table 3 columns wide to make it a little shorter overall. Any help with that?

Well I finally got it! Though I do have to re-figure out the layout on the archive view all page cause it kind of got fouled up in the fixing of the main shoutbox to make it more vertically compact. Figuring it out as I go...  Keeping my fingers crossed and my files backed up!!!

looks great!

Can you show me the file that you edited that the View All and message box appears in the same line?
Thanx!

Sven0

The problem with the Ultimate Shoutbox is that after each "Shout" Button click the page reload at the top and not where the Shoutbox is... which code is to change to solve that?

Col

Hi,

If you mean, just refresh the shoutbox, and not the whole page, you should be able to achieve this using an iframe. I might do it that way myself soon, as I've set up a test page porting out onto my HTML pages. I found though, when my forum went belly-up, yesterday, it also killed my test page. If I put the shoutbox in an iframe, only the iframe should be affected, and perhaps I can elbow a refresh button in there somehow. :-\

If someone here can tell me how to include a page refresh button into a page, that would be appreciated.

FBI

Sorry I am late to follow discussion here :) and already 46 pages..

Its possible to add code "anti spam" or "waiting next post for each user"?
Thank You.

Col

That would be nice, but pie in the sky I fear. The best thing to do is not allow guests to post, but if you are still having problems, only allow trusted groups to post. I also have 'shoutban' group for anyone that is otherwise a good member. ;)

ToyDozer

First off let me say this... I can be simple and I've learned to accept it so I hope you can too. Maybe even find it in your heart to try and help me out a bit...

I want to be able to type longer sentences in my shoutbox, longer then will fit on one line. Much like the "Character number to split long words at" which will split one lone word into two lines if it exceeds whatever number you define. I can fit roughly 100 characters of message text depending on the username and date info but how can I change the maximum input to something like 200 characters??

Thanks in advance...

Heres a link just incase you think it important.... [nofollow]
Jon Stensaa
www.wheelingadventures.com [nofollow]
[email protected]
Accelerator : The stomped out hole in the floarboard!!!!

Col

Hiya ToyDozer,

Open up shout.template.php, and search for:

echo '
<input type="text" value="', $txt['shoutbox_8'], '" name="message" size="16" maxlength="100" onfocus="if (this.value == \'', $txt['shoutbox_8'], '\')this.value=\'\'" /><br />
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="', $txt['shoutbox_9'], '" />
</form>
</center>';

Change the value in 'maxlength="100"' to whatever value you'd like.

ToyDozer

Thank you.. That was painfully obvious now that its been pointed out to me  ;D
Jon Stensaa
www.wheelingadventures.com [nofollow]
[email protected]
Accelerator : The stomped out hole in the floarboard!!!!

Advertisement: