News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Ultimate Shoutbox

Started by Grudge, March 28, 2004, 09:11:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Col

Quote from: ToyDozer on December 13, 2005, 11:29:27 PM
Thank you.. That was painfully obvious now that its been pointed out to me  ;D

Obvious when you know where to look! - I just happened to be looking at the same sction of code a few days ago for another reason. ;D

FBI

Thank You Col for the tips..
Shoutban right?

Col

Quote from: FBI on December 14, 2005, 08:54:00 PM
Thank You Col for the tips..
Shoutban right?

Yeah, I created a Member Group called "Shout Ban", and apply it as a hidden group. I also created one for baning PMs, one to restrict editing, and yet another that restricts a member to just reading, as this stops them from doing anything disruptive. I've hardly used these functions, but it comes in handy to have them set up in advance. If you you have a totally restricted the account like this, and you wish to keep some form of communication open, you can create an alternative ban (and membergroup), where they have no access to the usual boards, but have access to a board that only that group can see. There you can discuss their behaviour, and get them to promise to behave themselves, or whatever. All depends upon the nature of your forum. The permissions of SMF are its strongest feature, I feel.

frheimen

Hi.
Can somebody rewrite the templatecode for the shoutbox? As it do not validate at www.w3.org?

I have found a scroll-dhtml script that validates:
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex2/cmarquee2.htm

:)

Frode

Col

Hi frheimen,

I can't code, but I'm sure it ain't that simple. It would be nice to make it standards complient though. I'm guessing that it is "marquee" that is responsible for the shoutbox scrolling falling over in Netscape and Firefox too.

I would like to see the Shoutbox bugs fixed.

Grudge

Col,

I'm sorry, I've been so busy recently to check this topic. Can you let me know which bugs exist in the shoutbox?

Grudge
I'm only a half geek really...

Col

Oh, great Grudge,

I know you've been busy, so this is really appreciated.

When scrolling is enabled, there is no space at the end of the shouts in Netscape and Firefox. This doesn't sound like much, but it has the effect of the shouts appearing to jump, and worse, the lastest shout has only just made it into view, when the marquee starts over again. You should try it, it's pretty ugly.

I think there is something else, but I can't think what it is for the moment.

RoarinRow

Quote from: Grudge on December 31, 2005, 01:28:55 PM
Col,

I'm sorry, I've been so busy recently to check this topic. Can you let me know which bugs exist in the shoutbox?

Grudge

Would you know why when you delete a shout, that you get kicked back to the index page instead of the page that the shout box is at?  The shout box is in one thread where only a certain group members are allowed and the index page is in another theme where general users are.

SMF 2.0
TP 1.0 RC1.1
Wordpress 3.1.3

Col

Yes, getting kicked back to the index page when you delete a shout is a right royal pain in the butt. Also, the addition of checkboxes for multi-deletion would help a lot. - I guess that is more of an enhancement, but I think it's needed.

You'll wish you never asked, Grudge! ;D

tL0z

Hello,

I tried to install the shoutbox some time ago but I coudn't use it because my forum is in Portuguese. Can you please make a Portuguese version for the shoutbox? I really would like to have a shoutbox on my fórum :(

Thanks

Grudge

tLoz,

All you need to do is after install open Modifications.english.php, copy and paste the contents of that file, and paste them into Motidications.portuguese.php

Others,

I will update the shoutbox today...

Grudge

! Added checkboxes to archive page
! Cleaned up archive page
! Deleting shouts now redirects back to previous page.
! Fixed settings for RC2

File updated on the mod site, new version 1.32. Note if using shoutbox with SSI, the redirect stuff won't work unless using RC2.

Please report bugs :P

Col

Great, will do.

Also, what about refreshing the shoutbox (not the whole page)?

tL0z

Quote from: Grudge on January 01, 2006, 09:06:35 AM
tLoz,

All you need to do is after install open Modifications.english.php, copy and paste the contents of that file, and paste them into Motidications.portuguese.php

Others,

I will update the shoutbox today...

Where are those files?
I have SMF 1.05 can I install the new version of the shoutbox?
Can you please help me puting the shoutbox? I would like to put it above the Home, Ajuda etc menu. www.nintendogeeks.globalfree.net/forum/

Thanks

Grudge

Col, think that may be a bit too much for me right now, my todo list can't take any more ;D

tL0z, you can install the new version of the shoutbox, yes. When installed use your ftp client to go to your Themes/default/languages directory and download modifications.english.php and modifications.portuguese.php, copy the lines to do with the shoutbox from the english one to the portuguese then reupload.

As for positioning, please look through this topic - there are lots of pointers on that.

Col

Erm, forgive my ignorance, but do I uninstall the previous version, or will this go over the top of 1.3.1?

Also, I have tried uninstall, and I get the following errors:

3. Execute Modification ./Sources/ModSettings.php Failure
4. Execute Modification ./Themes/default/languages/Modifications.english.php Failure

I guess I will have to go through these by hand, but do I just uninstall anyway, and then go to the files, and use the original mod file to check what I need to remove/change?

I have done this stuff before with YaBB, but I've become accustomed, and spoilt, with the package manager. ::) :D

Grudge

You do need to uninstall yes.

Ah, you need to uninstall with the old version, then upload the new version.

tL0z

I'm trying to install but it seems to be an error here:

8.     Executar Modificação     ./Sources/ModSettings.php     Falha

Col

Quote from: Grudge on January 01, 2006, 10:58:54 AM
You do need to uninstall yes.

Ah, you need to uninstall with the old version, then upload the new version.

But can I uninstall, with errors, and change the two remaining files by hand? I've not tried uninstalling with errors before, so I am unsure of the consequences.

Grudge

You can uninstall with errors, but then manually fix the ones which had the errors in.

Advertisement: