News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

realName in profile?

Started by Aquilo, March 28, 2004, 05:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aquilo

Why is it at the top of member profile it shows realName not memberName? I always wondered why it was like that and why there are two settings so similar and since realName is used for logging in to the account why show it, shouldn't it be hidden since memberName is used everywhere as the users username?

I don't know how hard it would be to brut force an account on an SMF board but showing realName to the public makes it one step easer!

[Unknown]

You've got them backwards :P.

-[Unknown]

Ben_S

If it doesn't show the real name anywhere, it makes it impossible to work out who a users is when they keep on changing their name, please keep the username displayed in the profile.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Aquilo

Quote from: [Unknown] on March 28, 2004, 05:46:15 PM
You've got them backwards :P.

-[Unknown]
sorry about that you know what I mean! :D

Ben how hard is it to hack into the account Ben_s? easyer since I know the login word is Scotty_B! I know it would be time consuming trying to get into an account, if you piss someone off and ban them from your site at least they don't have to figure out the login word right now only the password!

I think admins and global moderaters should still have this info but not everyone!

Ben_S

True, but then on the other hand virtually every other forum software only has a username, not a display name as well.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Chris Cromer

That is kind of stupid because alot of people have the same realName and memberName. ;)

So no point in doing this.
Chris Cromer

"I was here, here I was, was I here, sure I was" - The little voice in my head.

orange

Yes, please don't do this. Having the member name visible is essential for tracking those pesky users who decide to change their display name once a week.

Advertisement: