odd guest 0.0.0.0?

Started by Aquilo, March 31, 2004, 12:28:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aquilo

[Unknown]

I've just messed with the IP detection code a lot more.

-[Unknown]

babylonking

I have 2 members from newzealand the IP of both of them show as 0.0.0.0  ::)

Aquilo

are these the new IPv6 being missreported?

Fizzy

Could it be an anonymizer?
I get plenty of IP addresses showing as "Unknown" - they get blocked.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

jack

Many proxies add an HTTP header (X-PROXIED-FOR or something - the name doesn't really matter). The purpose of this is to pass on the IP address of the computer talking to the proxy, otherwise the web server would only see the IP address of the proxy.

The problem with this is that it isn't inherently 'trustworthy' - it is a piece of data like anything else passed in the HTTP stream. Some proxies do fill this in correctly, others do odd things like 'unknown' or '0.0.0.0'. If someone ran their own proxy (or similar software) they could potentially set this to anything they wanted.

Using this field to show the origin of the user is not a good idea IMO, but - there again - in many situations, there's no better alternative :-\

Aquilo

does anyone here have there address as 0.0.0.0 or behind a proxie? if so does it get reported wrong here: http://ip.xtram.com ?

Homie

Someone on my Forum i look and it shows also his ip as 0.0.0.0 Why does it do that

[Unknown]

I've looked into different implementations and redone SMF's already...

-[Unknown]

Homie

So we should download the Update Again

[Unknown]

No, it's not important enough for a new release.

-[Unknown]

Homie

Ive ran update a few weeks ago. If i run the Update again will it get rid of more bugs or you havent updated the Update Package

Advertisement: