After Upload and CCHMOD ???

Started by HK, March 31, 2004, 12:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HK

Hello All,
   I have been using YaBB, But now I have a true website I am hoping to build so I wanted a better looking forum. I have been looking for the tutorial on SM but can find one. I have uploaded my files to my site, now how do I go about installing and getting the board up and running?? Which File do I need to access from the internet? SSI.php? or install.php??  I have CCHMODed the files etc. I just can't access the install.php I get an "HTTP 404 - File not found" error. Am I just in the wrong place? I am quite sure I have the correct path/link ??? Besides CCHMOD are there any other things I need to set up before I try to access install.php?
        Thanks in advance 
"Once In A While You Get Shown The Light, In The Strangest Of Places If You Look At It Right" ~ Jerry Garcia ~

Chris Cromer

404 means you have the wrong url... so either you didn't upload install.php in the place you think it is... or you didn't upload it at all.
Chris Cromer

"I was here, here I was, was I here, sure I was" - The little voice in my head.

HK

Thanks,
    Thats what I had feared. My next Q? is when I use Cute FTP in front of my Domain I have     / . . ./ . . /mydomain.com why is that do i need to use the the complete path being home/hiddenword/mydomain.com/php/install.php ?
   I have my install.php in a php folder since I will have html and cgi on the same site I wanted to keep them seperate. So should I use
home/hiddenword/mydomain.com/php/install.php ?
or
mydomain.com/php/install.php ?

I should be able to access my install.php correct? since my CCHMOD is done, is there more to set up before I run setup?

Thanks
"Once In A While You Get Shown The Light, In The Strangest Of Places If You Look At It Right" ~ Jerry Garcia ~

Chris Cromer

mydomain.com/php/install.php is what you access.

And if it is chmoded properly then it should work.
Chris Cromer

HK

OK Thanks,
    I have only CCHMODed
The files you need to change the permissions for are Settings.php and Setting_bak.php. The permissions for these two files should be set to 666.

The directories you need to change the permissions for are attachments, Packages and Themes. The permissions for these three directories should be set to 777

Is that all to your knowledge? then I should be able to access the install.php??
       Thank you so Much
                   :D

Chris Cromer

install.php should be chmoded to 666 if I am not mistaken.

And as I have already said, 404 has nothing to do with chmod...  that means your typing in the wrong url most likely... or didn't upload the install.php file.
Chris Cromer

HK

Thanks,
      I understand I have the wrong path, I just wanted to make sure the rest was set up properly is all. For some reason I can't seem to access the install.php  :-[  I have it in my PHP folder and I can see it there and it has size and volume so it was uploaded properly. I set the CCHMOD as it was instructed in one of the help post as yo see. Are you sure the install need CCHMOD to 666 not 644 the original setting, the install post made no mention of the install.php needing any adjustments.
           Thanks for your help,Time,and patience
      ;D

Chris Cromer

Well not all installations require install.php to be chmoded... just weird servers do. :P

If it isn't in the installation post then don't worry about anything else.

Just try accessing the install.php file. If it is a 404 again like you say, then you must have the wrong url in your browser.
Chris Cromer

HK

Well Thank You,
        I appreciate the help, I knowI am just so close, I keep trying to access it but I get the same error. Thinking about it though maybe you can answer this? I just bought the domain yesturday and i just got FTP access this morning, any chance my site isn't really up or accessable? that makes no sence though if I get a construction page and I can access it with my CUTEFTP . Any Chance that is my problem, it seems so basic I have my domain name.com/php folder/ then the actual what I want to acess.php  I don't see how I can be in the wrong place?? That all seems correct right? this will be my last post, I wont bug any longer if needed I will see if becoming a charter member and having it installed for me is the way to go, although I really wanted to learn this.
           Thanks Again
                        :D

Chris Cromer

Can you send me the url via pm and I will take a look.
Chris Cromer

HK

I would love too, how can I find you on here with PM, iI don't see the option??
Thanks

Chris Cromer

Chris Cromer

HK

Ok,
   Will I get your reply in my Mail box? or an open Dialog?

Chris Cromer

At the top of this forum there is a link that tells you how many new messages you have. Whenever it says you have new messages click it and it will show you them.
Chris Cromer

Advertisement: