IPB 1.3 Conversion

Started by TurboDan, May 15, 2006, 08:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurboDan

Hi Folks,

I'm currently considering moving an IPB 1.3 forum to the current version of SMF.  The forum has 210,000 posts and about 300 members.  I have a few questions, and I'd greatly appreciate some help since this task is worrying the hell outta me!

First, what exactly does and does not get converted?  Will personal member-centric things like avatars, saved PMs in inboxes, etc. be brought over to the new board?  My board's members share alot of stuff via PM, and this has been brought up as a drawback if PMs can't be converted over. 

Secondly, my site is set up so that the /forums folder is read at http://forums.mysite.net.  This wasn't set by me, but it is automatic built into my hosting account.  After the conversion is done, can I delete IPB from the /forums folder and move SMF into that folder so that the subdomain works properly?

Thanks so much for any replies...

Oldiesmann

As far as I know, everything will get converted - PMs, members, avatars, etc. Your users won't even have to change their passwords (basically SMF checks for several other password hashing methods if the hashed version of what the user entered doesn't match what's in the database).

Yes, you can delete all of the IPB stuff from the /forums folder after you convert to SMF and move SMF into that folder. After you do this though you will need to run repair_settings.php (What is repair_settings.php?) to fix the URLs and paths.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: