News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

"n" websites - 1 Server - 1 Forum

Started by thall89553, May 27, 2006, 09:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thall89553

I have a dedicated server on which I am setting up dozens and dozens of auto repair websites for a national organization. What I was hoping to be able to do was to have one forum facilitate ALL websites with each website owner being a designated moderator. Is it feasible to have the same forum on all sites at the same time? Is it just a matter of making the connection to the database on the server? Thanks so much.

Skipdawg

Just have a link on all sites to the one forum. Or are you wanting to morror the forum to each website domain?
Skipdawg's Community

Powered by SMF 1.1.3

thall89553

Ideally the forums would be moored to each website, such as www.domainname.com/forum, www.domainname2.com/forum, etc. All the sites would be on the same server. I would think it is just a matter of connecting to the database, no?

sawz

i am wondering if you set up the (one) forum.
you have a forum setup at another domain and point the mysql settings
to the (one) forum, would this not work using ip numbers?
keep smiling, they'll always wonder what your up too.....

sawz

you say the same server, is it an add on domain or a reseller environment.

i just made a forum in an add on domain using my forum database and it worked.

for instance:

my main forums are located at forums.mydomain.com
the next set up is at www.domain.com/forums

thall89553

I am not familiar wtih the term "add on domain". I have one server, I host websites for clients. Each time I set up a website I add it to the server. Is that an "add on domain"? All sites on the server have the same ip address. Take a look at this - www.atramember.com/directory_temp.asp  page. These are all domains on the same server with the same ip address. I'd like to tie all of them into one forum. Would I need to run a set up on all domains, or on one domain once then just copy the code from the one domain to all the other ones? This may be a bit above my head so please bear with me. THanks.

sawz

so i can assume all these domains are part of your document root?

thall89553

Thanks for hanging with me on this issue. Insofar as "document root" if I connect with my Godaddy dedicated server via Remote Desktop and I look at the hard drive via windows explores, the domains are all located in this path - c:\inetpup\vhosts    Does that answer your question?

sawz

i am not really familiar with windows hosting. however it appears that
all your domains are in the same path. perhaps a test is in order, like i did
this morning.

get a forum loaded up on one of those domains and get the install.php going.
enter in the mysql information for the forums you have already setup in your
main domain..database name user name and password and click install.

when it asks for an admin name and password, ignore that and proceed.
the forums will install and draw data from the original database. the reason
i say ignore the admin info is because the database already contains user
information which includes the admin.

i did this this morning. the example:
my smf forums are located at http://forums.sawz.com
i uploaded and installed forums at www.bangnjane.com/forums (don't click cause i removed them) bangnjane.com is in my document root. when i called up install.php
i entered the db info for the forums at sawz.com and it worked.

if all those domains you have are in your document root, then you should be able to do this :)

thall89553

Again my thanks for your persistence on this. I will try your suggestion in the next day or two and let you know.

Advertisement: