Create new users automatically based on input from somewhere else?

Started by Xinil, May 27, 2006, 03:50:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xinil

Okay, this is going to sound really weird, but basically, I have a website with users in it already. What I want to do is, when a user signs up on my site for my "AnimeList" area, I want to have a function that also signs them up on my forum and auto-registers them. Right now if they sign up on my animelist site, they also need to sign up on my forum. Two user names, two passwords, two login events, it's just a mess and not many people are using the forum. So I think by having it auto-create their accounts, it'll make the forum more popular.

I'm very experienced with PHP, so don't hold back in your explanations of how to do this.

I also want to make it so when the user logs into my site, it will log in to the forum too (I can probably figure this out on my own, so no worries here).

Thanks in advance. :)

Xinil
hxxp:www.myanimelist.net [nonactive] - Create your own Animelist.

Xinil

Damn, I didn't think it was going to be that easy. I suspected that I'd have to create a function that went with SMF's password algorithm. Apparently though, from your code, they only use md5 to encode passwords?

Thanks for the help. I'll try it out soon and let you know how I faired. :)
Xinil

Remaker

smf 1.0.7 < uses md5.

Smf 1.1 uses sha1. But you can use that function, because the passwords are automaticaly "morfed" when the users log-ins.
Remaker - My blog - Actualitate.net

Xinil

Well pretty that's spiffy. Wish I knew that weeks ago.

Thanks again!
Xinil

Xinil

Hmmm, apparently it's more difficult to automatically log in a user than I had originally thought.

ssi_login() just displays the login form. I actually want to log in the user without them doing anything. So basically, they register on my site, it automatically creates a forum account, and then it automatically logs them into their forum account. I've already set up the auto-registration, but not logining them in...

"sources/LogInOut.php" is what I'm looking at, but I can't figure out how to accurately call Login2(). Also how can I make it so it only autologs in the user for 30 minutes?

Thanks again in advance.
Xinil

Remaker

Remaker - My blog - Actualitate.net

Advertisement: