What to expect from integration of Mambo + SMF + Gallery?

Started by wiggliewoo, June 02, 2006, 05:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiggliewoo

Hi -

I've read that an integration between Mambo, SMF and Gallery 2 can be accomplished, my question is how does this work exactly?  

What are the exact steps to integrate Mambo, SMF and Gallery 2?

I've read that you bridge SMF to Mambo and Mambo's users are read by SMF.  Does that mean that all user management is handled by SMF?  If so, does that mean that users cannot login thru Mambo's login module and be logged into the site and the forum?

At the moment I have Community Builder installed and I like the way it handles profiles.  I don't need to keep it if it makes this integration difficult.  So if it doesn't pose a problem keeping it please tell me how to include it.  I however, it does present a problem can you give me an idea of what the user profile will be like with this integration?

How is visual integration handled?

Any help or comments or greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
DeAnna

PS- My site requires a universal login using Mambo that includes a forum (preferably SMF), a user Gallery (Gallery2) and a interactive calendar so that users can post events. ???

Orstio

QuoteI've read that you bridge SMF to Mambo and Mambo's users are read by SMF.  Does that mean that all user management is handled by SMF?  If so, does that mean that users cannot login thru Mambo's login module and be logged into the site and the forum?

Where did you read that?

When you install the bridge, it is important to understand that you then have three pieces of software:  Mambo, SMF, and the bridge.  SMF still handles SMF users.  Mambo still handles Mambo users.  The bridge handles both.

The bridge comes with its own login module that will log users into both at once.

QuoteAt the moment I have Community Builder installed and I like the way it handles profiles.  I don't need to keep it if it makes this integration difficult.  So if it doesn't pose a problem keeping it please tell me how to include it.  I however, it does present a problem can you give me an idea of what the user profile will be like with this integration?

The bridge handles changes to the profile by migrating the information from SMF to Mambo.  Because of this one-way information transfer, using the CB profile can result in a lot of confusion.

QuoteHow is visual integration handled?

There are two modes:  wrapped and unwrapped.  If set to wrapped, the forum is loaded into the Mambo template.  If unwrapped, the Mambo template is left out.

Kindred

well, I use all three together quite nicely...

and SMF has a nice calendar system along with modules to show it in the mambo framework
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

wiggliewoo

Orstio -

Thank You so much for clearing that up, what you said makes alot more sense.   :)  I'm not sure what forum I read that on, I was reading between Mambo, Gallery and This forum.  It was more than likely a Mambo thread.

Kindred -

Can you please tell me the steps to integrate Mambo, SMF, and Gallery2?

Thanks So Much,
DeAnna

Kindred

Actually, I just re-read stuff on the gallery bridge site...   the gallery2 bridge does not support mambo any more...  only joomla.

So..
Install joomla (1.0.8 or higher)
Install SMF (1.1RC2)
Install Gallery2 (2.11)

USE THE SAME ADMIN NAME AND PASSWORD FOR ALL THREE SOFTWARES!!!!!!!

Install the SMF bridge (com_smf) (1.1.4)
configure the SMF bridge, per the instructions (see the combined readme post in the mambo/joomla board here on smf)
Verify that the bridge is working properly
Install the Gallery2 bridge (2.0.13)
configure the gallery2 bridge.
Sync the users and usergroups for gallery2
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

wiggliewoo

Hi Kindred -

Thanks for the quick reply and information.  I'm getting started on it now.  However, I'm wondering if you know of a component or add-on that would allow me to customize user registration (I just need to add a few more fields) that will work well with this combination of software.  I assume I should know this before I start the bridging process.

Thanks Again,
DeAnna

Kindred

well, depends what you want to be the primary interface...

using the SMF registration option and the mod package (for smf) by Winrules that allows customized profile fields would work... (and would be my choice)

However, you can use the Community Builder joomla component registration aloing with Orstio's bridge...
Слaва
Украинi

wiggliewoo

Ortisio had made it sound like Community Builder would be confusing with data transfer.  Not sure exactly what that means.  All I truly need to do is add a few extra fields to be completed during registration as a way to verify potential users of my family site.  I believe I saw a registration component on this site possibly the one you mentioned.  I just wasn't sure it would work with everything being bridged.  I will try it.

Thanks,
DeAnna

wiggliewoo

Well, at this point I'm just blown away by this piece of software.  It is absolutely awesome!  It seems like the forum itself could serve all my needs except the gallery, meaning no need for Joomla.  Is there a way to just ingrate the user database for universal login between SMF and Gallery2?  Or do I need to wait for the beta bridge?

Advertisement: