News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

styling in the html why not all CSS

Started by bjraines, May 31, 2006, 07:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjraines

I have been trying to style a template. I then notice some of the padding etc is all in the php files. Is this according to author of the theme or is the how it should be done? Is their a completely fluid CSS style theme? This would really help me a lot.

kegobeer

No, currently there are no "tableless" themes that use CSS for all formatting.  CSS really isn't developed enough for this yet, IMO.  I'm sure someone will eventually release something, but right now SMF relies on tables to properly format tabular data.
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf
Posting and you (Click "WATCH THIS MOVIE")

bjraines

Oh believe me I concur. I use tables all the time especially to hold dynamically generated data and info. I should clarify. It sees a lot of the padding and margins are styled inline in the HTML which could be extracted to the stylesheet.

I would just like a barebones theme with the classes and ID in the stylesheet.

kegobeer

That should be something that's achievable, but it means that a theme designer can't use any of the "fallback" files (ie: the default theme files).  Every template would have to be created so that the in-line styling would be avoided.

Perhaps this should be moved into the themes board as a request for a theme designer.  I know you posted a nearly identical topic in there; I would just remove that one and replace it with this thread.
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf
Posting and you (Click "WATCH THIS MOVIE")

Advertisement: