News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

vBulletin

Started by JeremyS, April 09, 2004, 01:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeremyS

I just discovered SMF, and I REALLY like it, and I was wondering if there was a convertor from vBulletin Version 3.0.0 RC2 > SMF 1.0 Beta 4.1.

Sorry if this has been discussed, and I missed it.

[Unknown]

We have a converter written for vBulletin 2.x.  I'm not sure what changes will be neccessary for 3.x, because, well, I don't have a 3.x to see what has changed.

-[Unknown]

JeremyS

:( That sucks.

I guess I could try and find a way to downgrade my board to 2.x and then convert.  ::)

Seems like quite a task for me.  :-X

[Unknown]

Or, if you'd be willing to do a significant amount of beta testing, you could help me write one for 3.x or make the current work for 3.x.

-[Unknown]

JeremyS

I'm up for it...I have nothing better to do.  8)

Mike Bobbitt

Any update on this? I may be interested in testing it out if you have code... :)

Benjamin

Hey [Unknown],

Can you tell me what is exactly converted using this software (or probably, what isn't converted)?

[Unknown]

Well, attachments, polls, posts, members... are all converted.

I don't think permissions or moderators are converted... avatars may not be converted properly in some cases.  I needs more testing, but it converts most of the data.

-[Unknown]

Benjamin

Hi [Unknown],

That sounds great, and the only question I have is are you willing to help out in the conversion task?  The only reason you ask is 1) although the webmasters are familiar with boards, they aren't that familiar with MySQL and the like 2) You might see things that need to be done prior or post-installation 3) It's a really big board, and converting it might yield some bugs, in which you can see them first hand.

I don't think it will take much convincing to give you server access to achieve this.

Thanks,

--Benjamin

[Unknown]

I must say I made a mistake and I think the converter is not vBulletin 3 ready... are you running 2 or 3?

But, yes, I'm willing to help out as always.

-[Unknown]

Benjamin

3 :/

So I guess it won't work?

[Unknown]

Give me a week or so and I should have something worked out.

Sorry.

-[Unknown]

Mike Bobbitt

I'm now in a position to test a vBulletin 3.0.3 --> SMF conversion. Is the converter on the download page the one I should be using to test?

Will let you know my results...

Grudge

Please use this one instead!
I'm only a half geek really...

Mike Bobbitt

Awesome, thanks! Anything I should know before I get started? ;)

Grudge

Not that I'm aware of. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work but I've only tested the bare minimum of things - not sub forums and the like. But give it a whirl and feedback any problems :)
I'm only a half geek really...

Mike Bobbitt

Definitely. Thanks!

Mike Bobbitt

Hit a small snag... I had to grant my "SMF" MySQL user SELECT rights on the vBulletin database for it to work...

[Unknown]

Quote from: Mike Bobbitt on July 05, 2004, 04:22:49 PM
Hit a small snag... I had to grant my "SMF" MySQL user SELECT rights on the vBulletin database for it to work...

Actually, it tells you that you have to do that :P.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: