News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SMTP vs. Sendmail - Which one to use?

Started by DogmaRaider, June 09, 2006, 11:01:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it better to use SMTP or Sendmail?

SMTP
6 (40%)
Sendmail
9 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 15

DogmaRaider

SMF Version: SMF 1.0.7
Hello I'm new to SMF and I was wondering if its better to use SMTP to send e-mail and what are the pros and cons of each?  Right now I'm using sendmail which seems to work ok but I'm just curious what SMTP offers me.  Thanks in Advance.

DogmaRaider
------------------

Elmacik

If you are using a webmaster mail from your own domain, sendmail has a faster result with a faster server in my opinion.
On the other hand, sendmail always has a higher risk than SMTP to fall into spam (bulk) folders.
SMTP is good if you dont have limitations like time or per usage. Its a bit slower from my experiences but gives a better and certain result. Sendmail cant always send mails but if SMTP says it sent, it is really sent.

Well, these are personal opinions, I cant give you technical information since I dont know.
Home of Elmacik

Nikolas_00

I prefer sendmail.

It is faster and it doesn't need username and password to run

Elmacik

Quote from: Nikolas_00 on June 15, 2006, 02:46:33 PM
It is faster and it doesn't need username and password to run

Actually it doesnt require from you because your host has already configured the Sendmail to use a host name, a user name and if necessary a password.
Home of Elmacik

Nikolas_00

That's right.

If you have one site, then having SMTP is ok, because if you need to change the password, you will have to change it only to one site.

If you have more sites then Sendmail is better, because you wont need to add the new password to every site.

arreferee

I have tried using sendmail and SMTP and can get neither to work.  I talked to my host and didn't get bery far with them.  Where do I need to go from here? 

Thanks!

B Patterson

1.) Do you have an SMTP server?
a.) Does the SMTP server require a full email address as the username?
b.) Will it accept "@" or does it require "+" instead?
2.) Is the password correct?
3.) Is sendmail properly configured for your host?
a.) Can you send a test-mail to yourself using the mail() function?
b.) Does the sendmail server require authentication that you don't know about?

sawz

mine works either way and i don't have to supply any password info using SMTP
keep smiling, they'll always wonder what your up too.....

arreferee

Quote from: bpat1434 on August 04, 2006, 12:19:32 AM
1.) Do you have an SMTP server?
a.) Does the SMTP server require a full email address as the username?
b.) Will it accept "@" or does it require "+" instead?
2.) Is the password correct?
3.) Is sendmail properly configured for your host?
a.) Can you send a test-mail to yourself using the mail() function?
b.) Does the sendmail server require authentication that you don't know about?

Those are very good questions that, unfortunately, I can't answer.  :)  I'm going to have to get in touch with my host again and see if they can help me out.

Vellor

Hey everybody. i need aloot of help whit this! how do i get the sendmail work? Realy need your help.  :(

B Patterson

sendmail should be configured by your hosting company, or enabled in the php.ini file.  You should know what you're doing before you enable it though.  Once enabled, SMF should work fine.

Advertisement: