News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

eAccelerator

Started by Scubasteve, June 10, 2006, 01:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scubasteve

I'm thinking about installing it on my servers so that i can offer it to my clients, but i am not familliar with it. Can someone who has used it tell me, does it really make a noticeable difference? Is it harder or easier on the server? Security risks?

The information i found over google is sketchy and spread out, i thank you guys in advance for the help.
If it aint broke, break it.

Ben_S

Shouldnt cause any other problems or security issues, although I'd use APC personally.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

MH-MINI

I use eAccelerator. It's quite good actually, it is effective on PHP sites, seeing it does bytecode caching and it doesn't have to generate the PHP code everytime, and it is easier on the server ;)

Mini

Ben_S

In the real world, APC works much better with SMF.

Skipdawg

Quote from: Ben_S on June 11, 2006, 08:31:19 AM
In the real world, APC works much better with SMF.

Thanks! Good to know if the need to use such arises down the road.  ;D ;)
Skipdawg's Community

Powered by SMF 1.1.3

Scubasteve

What type of security risks are we talking about by using a program like these? Thanks for the replies.

Ben_S

There shouldn't be any as long as you keep it upto date.

Scubasteve

Sounds good, i will have a look at APC. Thanks for all the information =)

emrys01

Quote from: MH-MINI on June 11, 2006, 08:00:53 AM
I use eAccelerator. It's quite good actually, it is effective on PHP sites, seeing it does bytecode caching and it doesn't have to generate the PHP code everytime, and it is easier on the server ;)

Mini

i've got eaccelerator installed on my machine...

[root@host src]# php -v
PHP 5.1.4 (cli) (built: May  8 2006 08:41:41)
Copyright (c) 1997-2006 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v2.1.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2006 Zend Technologies
    with eAccelerator v0.9.5-beta2, Copyright (c) 2004-2006 eAccelerator, by eAccelerator
[root@host src]#

...but i see the following on the caching admin settings page:

SMF has not been able to detect a compatible accelerator on your server.

anyone have any ideas?

Niteblade

Yeah, for some reason SMF doesn't see eA. I dunno why. But, all you have to do is go browse your cache directories to see some new content being populated to verify that eA is working correctly. Personally, I think it's SMF issue with eA.
affiliate blog

jyajay

Don't use 0.95, try 0.94 and SMF will detect it. Thats what I did.

If you think about the incompability of eA and PHP 5 then you proberbly should go back to PHP4 or use APC instead.

Advertisement: