News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

adding a table to the left of the main table..

Started by BrandonMiller, April 08, 2004, 04:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrandonMiller

here is my board
http://www.rivercityrockcrawlers.com/forum/index.php

I want to add a table to the left of the main tables in the gray area below the home etc buttons for navagation to the rest of the site.

I got my banner rotater added to the top and a small logo and I am happy with that, just want a table about the width of the one on this site to add links and stuff to the rest of my site. How do I modify my template to do this?

thanks  8)

Snuffy

I agree I would like to add a side bar on my test forum of SMF also.

You can click the link to my site at the bottom of my signature below of Golden Bears Den to see what I have up now under YaBB-SE, and I would like to maintain that when we switch over to SMF if at all possable, and be able to keep the linking Menu there to the Main site as well . . . .  8)

BrandonMiller

it automatically saves your current template but then you don't get the goodies of the new one. You can upgrade and use the "old template" as default till ya figure out the new one, which is quite cool..

Snuffy

Quote from: BrandonMiller on April 09, 2004, 06:41:11 PM
it automatically saves your current template but then you don't get the goodies of the new one. You can upgrade and use the "old template" as default till ya figure out the new one, which is quite cool..

Ok then what you are saying is that what it does then is it imports your old SE template into the SMF as a theams added to the list, and you can set it to use that theam but it will still look and act like YaBB-SE.

But you will still have to finger out how to make a SMF look like that with the template layout like you had on the YaBB-SE in a new theams you makeup as a SMF theam!?!?!

Is this more or less what you are saying then Brandon?

Snuffy . . . . . trying to finger this out!     8)

BrandonMiller

not exactly..

you do get all the bennies of SMF but the template will be like your old one, in other words you don't get the 3 boxes on top (obviously).

BUT the additional options is at the bottom, you have tons of options in your profile and the admin center is totally different. Only thing is the template you will be using will not have the 3 boxes on top basically, and it will have your old buttons on top. It DOES change your on/off buttons though, that was kind of a bummer. I don't use that template anymore though but it is a GREAT transition. At first I kept that as the default so my users could get kinda used to it then I just changed it over. Users have an option to go back to the old theme still, with bennies so to speak...

Snuffy

OK well looks like I just need to get to work on learning how to edit with php and an editor that I can do what I like to in an editor.

As I have always used Dreamweaver and with these php files in SMF it will not display in dreamweaver like the php files in SE did.

I not sure why unless it is the double extentions on these with a file called index.template.php maybe that is what is the problem and it won't let me see what I am working on in dreamweaver.

Have you amy insite on how I can do this in dreamweaver?!?!?

BrandonMiller

I use dreamweaver too, but for this I use.. notepad. Or the dreamweaver in code only.

Acf

find: template_menu();

replace with:

echo'<TABLE>
<TR>
   <TD>menu</TD>
   <TD>';template_menu(); echo'</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>';

some thing like that maybe? or trow the entire boardindex in tables..
Sigh...

Snuffy

Quote from: BrandonMiller on April 10, 2004, 12:53:33 AM
I use dreamweaver too, but for this I use.. notepad. Or the dreamweaver in code only.

Yep I have used DW for too long and have always used only the WYSIWUG portion and am not that up on the codeing in text part and that is where I am lacking and need some work on!   :) ;) :D ;D 8) ??? ??? ???

Snuffy

Quote from: (Acf) on April 10, 2004, 04:38:12 AM

replace with:

echo'<TABLE>
<TR>
   <TD>menu</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>';

OK Acf, I'll try playing with this and see if i can finger something out.

As I did try lastnight to do this:
I took my Template that I used for my site and my SE version also and put a full copy of the index.template.php into it in a table and also tried it just in the layer without being in a table and it did not show when I saved it as index.tamplate.php and uploaded it into my playing area.

As it showed ok BUT! it for some reason did not show the template part and just showed the index.template.php of the SMF just like it was out of the box and nothing of what it was inside of displayed at all?!?!? Weird I thought, but maybe did something wrong!?!?!?

I just need to finger out in the SMF templates where to and what to edit is all I think  . . . :(

Snuffy . .  ;)

PS here is a link to my playinmg with SMF right now:

http://www.goldenbearsden.com/smf/index.php

And this is what my SE looks like:

http://www.goldenbearsden.com/yabbse/index.php

I would like to keep the header / banner and the menu on the left of the SE you see there like that with the SMF inside it like the SE is . . .  ;)

[Unknown]

There's an option in upgrade.php to convert your template.php file, just copy it in...

-[Unknown]

Snuffy

[Unknown] , I used the update that I downloaded and set up the 4.1 pub version. Can I now use the UpGrade on that to convert it the Update to an upgraded version and it will import my SE info into the pub 4.1 version I am now running?

And will this not mess with my now running version of SE, except for put it in maint mode while doing this as I read in another post.

And this will not mess with my databases?
As  you see here the SE and SMF is on the same server only one is setup in a folder on a windows based server in yabbse and SMF is in ther same root only in a smf folder . .:

YaBB-SE up and running:
http://www.goldenbearsden.com/yabbse/index.php

SMF up and running:
http://www.goldenbearsden.com/smf/index.php

If so does this inport all my arreas and users and the like into the SMF from the SE?

Snuffy . . .  ???

BrandonMiller

Quote from: (Acf) on April 10, 2004, 04:38:12 AM

replace with:

echo'<TABLE>
<TR>
   <TD>menu</TD>
</TR>
</TABLE>';

if you do this you get scroll bars on all your posts and they are all only about an inch tall. Major bug and it sucks :(

ok so it only does it in IE but 99% of people use that..

[Unknown]

The update and upgrade packages use the same upgrade.php.

-[Unknown]

Advertisement: