News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

mods installed through admin panel - problem

Started by tapirul, June 15, 2006, 07:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tapirul

Hello everybody.
I've run into some problems with a number of mods, when I installed then directly from the admin panel (as opposed to downloading them on my computer and uploading them on the server). The problem is that the folders/files installed/modified by these mods do not have group/user owner (or have (?) - this is what appears, anyways, see below); this means that I cannot CHMOD, delete, move, etc the folders/files from the server anymore (which you can imagine is a pain in the neck, I can't even revert to the previous form usung the backup files).

I am not sure how to report this (as a bug?) - the only solution I see is to download manually the mods and upload them on the server. Now I have to figure out a way to delete those files.

PS so far it happened with TinyPortal and SMF Shop.

Elmacik

Actually this is nothing to do with SMF
Its your badly configured server.
When SMF saves a file, UID of that file automatically changes to 99
This value meant to point SMF. So the owner becomes SMF and if you dont have a user group by your name in your server, or if scripts are not included in internet user groups, your server will act to group you and in SMF as different users and othe server.
So you wont be again able to modify or delete that file. (The only way is to delete the parent folder as its owner still remains the same on you.)
Home of Elmacik

tapirul

Thanks.
I didn't mean to sound as is something wrong with SMF, just to point out a potential problem (I should have mentioned that it happened the same with a number of files installed by Gallery 2 - Photo Album Organizer).
It didn't happen with all files downloaded/manipulated through SMF, tha's why I as curious.

Advertisement: