Server Outage from June 22nd to June 23rd 2006

Started by Thantos, June 23, 2006, 06:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thantos

It is great to be back after such a long period of downtime. We would like to take a moment to let you know that we were not hacked, bought out, quit, or any other such rumour. We are currently investigating the reasons behind this extended period of downtime and are discussing measures to prevent it from happening again.

We apologize for any inconvenience our absence may have caused you and thank you for your continued support.

Additional information will be provided once we have it.

The Simple Machines team

Thantos

The cause of the outage was the result of a non-technical issue involving our service provider.  Failings happened on our both our part and their part.  We have resolved the issue and are taking steps to ensure it doesn't happen again.

While the idea of someone tripping over the server's power cord is humorous, it is quite infeasible in a modern datacenter and was defiantly not the cause of the outage.

We apologize again for the outage and thank you all for your continued support.

Daniel15

Well, glad to see we're back up... I was wondering what the problem was ;)

QuoteWhile the idea of someone tripping over the server's power cord is humorous, it is quite infeasible in a modern datacenter and was defiantly not the cause of the outage.
Yeah, it's not like there's power cords all over the floor... I'm quite sure that the cords would be inside the server racks...
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.
Go to smfshop.com for SMFshop support, do NOT email or PM me!

sbclansite.com

Quote from: Thantos on June 24, 2006, 12:23:56 AM

We apologize again for the outage and thank you all for your continued support.

For a second i thought it was my p2 not connecting to this site and when i used my faster p3 machine i saw site online but now i know it was not my p2's fault.
The Mod , Modifier :). For Mods/Scripts/GameServer Installations contact me via http://www.forums.sbclansite.com <<Free Image hosting, Free WebHosting and Free Featured Listing available also.
Webhosting @ 1.55$ : http://www.a1whs.com
Free Seo Friendly Directory : http://www.sbclansite.com

Elmacik

For a while I thought my internet life is over :P
Home of Elmacik

Isaac

Quote from: Elmacik on June 24, 2006, 01:42:38 AM
I'm going to stay on SMF 12 hours straight to make up for lost time.  :P

Elmacik

Quote from: Isaac on June 24, 2006, 03:08:33 AM
Quote from: Elmacik on June 24, 2006, 01:42:38 AM
I'm going to stay on SMF 12 hours straight to make up for lost time.  :P
Hell I stayed more than 24 :P I am honest.. :P
Home of Elmacik

Douglas

Quote from: daniel15 on June 24, 2006, 01:14:53 AMYeah, it's not like there's power cords all over the floor... I'm quite sure that the cords would be inside the server racks...
Actually, the cords are wired to the racks themselves, and then run under the floor to the routing points for electricity.  Same with the network cables.  I know, I work for the hosting company.  :P
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

Amacythe

So... next time there's an issue... everyone now knows who to pester ;)

* Amacythe hides

sbclansite.com

Quote from: Douglas on June 24, 2006, 05:05:30 PM
Quote from: daniel15 on June 24, 2006, 01:14:53 AMYeah, it's not like there's power cords all over the floor... I'm quite sure that the cords would be inside the server racks...
Actually, the cords are wired to the racks themselves, and then run under the floor to the routing points for electricity.  Same with the network cables.  I know, I work for the hosting company.  :P

What about someone by mistake toppling over the racks and racks falling would that not also interrupt services?
The Mod , Modifier :). For Mods/Scripts/GameServer Installations contact me via http://www.forums.sbclansite.com <<Free Image hosting, Free WebHosting and Free Featured Listing available also.
Webhosting @ 1.55$ : http://www.a1whs.com
Free Seo Friendly Directory : http://www.sbclansite.com

kegobeer

Quote from: sbclansite.com on June 24, 2006, 08:53:01 PM
What about someone by mistake toppling over the racks and racks falling would that not also interrupt services?

You're kidding, right?  Please tell me you're kidding.  Those racks are bolted to the floor.  There would never be a "domino effect" in a server farm.
"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - Norman Schwarzkopf
Posting and you (Click "WATCH THIS MOVIE")

Douglas

The only way they'd topple is if the building collapsed, which is not likely to happen.  Even through an earthquake, the racks and cabinates aren't going anywhere.
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

Daniel15

QuoteYou're kidding, right?  Please tell me you're kidding.  Those racks are bolted to the floor.  There would never be a "domino effect" in a server farm.
That would be quite funny to see every server rack fall over, and then the building collapse :P
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.
Go to smfshop.com for SMFshop support, do NOT email or PM me!

Dannii

Maybe some explosives should be used on the building... prehaps we could still even pass it off as an accident :P
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Harzem

If the cable was unplugged, that wouldn't take a whole day. If the rack had fallen, that would again not take a whole day.

If the building was collapsed, then that would not take *just* a day to reconstruct :P

Thantos

Advertisement: