News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Anti-spam mod request

Started by H, June 28, 2006, 12:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel15

Hmmm... I never thought of error handling in the Akismet class, as I thought it was controlled by the class I used (a freely-available Akismet PHP4 class). I'll look into implementing better error handling.

Thanks for reporting it :)
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.
Go to smfshop.com for SMFshop support, do NOT email or PM me!

Laibeus Lord

Cool.  All seems well with the new version :D

Glad to see it into fruition :D

Die spammers!!

Jacen

Quote from: Daniel15 on December 13, 2006, 03:57:59 AM
Hmmm... I never thought of error handling in the Akismet class, as I thought it was controlled by the class I used (a freely-available Akismet PHP4 class). I'll look into implementing better error handling.

Thanks for reporting it :)

I think I'll wait for this to be fixed before trying it :)
"I've always found that sticking your fingers in your ears and humming loudly solves a whole slew of problems."

Daniel Hofverberg

Same here. It's a great idea, but something needs to be done so that the forum still works if the Askismet server is down.

Daniel15

Yeah, very sorry about that guys, I'll fix it as soon as possible...
If the server's down (very rarely happens), should the posts just be marked as non-spam, and allowed to be posted? Or should they be marked as spam, and then it asks you to check them?
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.

Daniel Hofverberg

Personally, I think it makes most sense to mark messages as non-spam if the server can't be reached. After all, there are probably much more legitimate posts then spam, so it makes more sense to me.

Daniel15

Yeah, thanks for the suggestion Daniel, I'll do that then

QuoteAfter all, there are probably much more legitimate posts then spam
Yeah, I forgot it was a forum... My blog is completely different (about 400 spam comments, and about 10 legitimate :P)

Jacen

I have a couple of seperate ideas.

1: Fall back on the moderation system. Mark them as reported to a moderator.
2: Allow them tobe posted but mark them as need to be checked.
"I've always found that sticking your fingers in your ears and humming loudly solves a whole slew of problems."

Dannii

I'd borrow/remake some code from the visual warning mod and put those posts into a moderation queue.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Col

Using a queue or flags is a good idea for some, but if you have busy forum, and the Akismet server cannot be reached for some time, there will be an awful lot of posts to check. It might be better to have options to handle this, and maybe even a maximum number in the queue before they are allowed to be posted as usual. All configureable, of course.

Oh, how about this! What if when the Akismet server cannot be reached, the posts are allowed to be posted, flagged (visually, and with code), so that when Akismet is back up, the posts are then checked, and if need be, removed retrospectively. I'd suggest that there should be a delay between each post being checked, so that Akismet is not flooded from many SMF forums catching up with spam-filtering.

Advertisement: