how is the 'users online' list ordered?

Started by Seph|roth, August 22, 2003, 04:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seph|roth

i can't find any logical order in it... ?

Grudge

I believe it is done but the users that have come online the most recent at the beginning. If not it's the opposite of this. Basically it's something to do with when they come online :D

Plus - I think YOU are always first (by which I mean the user and not you personally :p )
I'm only a half geek really...

Ben_S

There person who clicked something most recently is display first, usually this is you, going down to the person who clicked something longest ago being displayed last
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Seph|roth

Quote from: Grudge on August 22, 2003, 04:15:44 PM
Plus - I think YOU are always first (by which I mean the user and not you personally :p )
Well, I SHOULD be always first..  ;) :P

Seph|roth

Quote from: Ben_S on August 22, 2003, 04:21:47 PM
There person who clicked something most recently is display first, usually this is you, going down to the person who clicked something longest ago being displayed last
hmm like that... but what's the use of that? shouldn't it be like alphabetical of longest online or something like that?

Ben_S

Whats the point of alphabetical, it has no real meaning, this way you know if you post something that you want someone to see, you know if they have clicked recently or like coming upto 15 mins ago.

Jeff Lewis

Exactly, I want to know if someone I'm trying to contact is online or is fading off the users online list :)
Co-Founder of SMF

Jeff Lewis

But then again searching for a user is easier in alphabetical order - and can be done with the theme system ;)
Co-Founder of SMF

Wezz6400

The way it is is functional however almost nobody knows it. Therefore I think alfabetical order is better.

[Unknown]

Quote from: Wezz6400 on August 22, 2003, 06:29:36 PM
The way it is is functional however almost nobody knows it. Therefore I think alfabetical order is better.

I use it.

-[Unknown]

Amacythe

I like it the way it is... The knowledge of who is active is relevant to me

Seph|roth

you have to admit; he's got a very strong point..

Ben_S

Quote from: Seph|roth on August 22, 2003, 07:40:53 PM
you have to admit; he's got a very strong point..

I would say the people who dont know are in the minority so he doesnt, unless prehaps they are used to a different forum software that does it the WRONG way. Alphabetical order is totally illogical, by that argument why not order it by the amount of letters in the name?

Really annoys me on a phpbb etc forum and not knowing who is really online latest. But then it pisses me off that I open a forum and goto lunch come back and I have allegedly read everything.  ::)

[Unknown]

I knew how it worked the first time I looked at it... it was very logical.

-[Unknown]

Seph|roth

Quote from: [Unknown] on August 22, 2003, 07:44:27 PM
I knew how it worked the first time I looked at it... it was very logical.

-[Unknown]
probably because you coded it LOL  ;)

Jeff Lewis

Actually he didn't, it's been like that for a very long time :)
Co-Founder of SMF

Ben_S

Since at least YaBB 1 Gold Beta 5, probably long before but that was my first experience of the wonderfull board  ;D

Seph|roth

Quote from: Jeff Lewis on August 22, 2003, 07:58:35 PM
Actually he didn't, it's been like that for a very long time :)
That just makes Wezz's point stronger.
It's been like it for a long time, and still a lot of people (the majority) don't know about it...

i'll let it rest now, it's not really important anyway. ;D

Jeff Lewis

So if it WAS changed, how do you tell the other 50% that it's being changed from the way THEY like it? :)

That is why everything is so customizeable - so you can do it to your little hearts desire ;)
Co-Founder of SMF

Seph|roth

*sigh* alright, i'll give up - you win  ;D

happy now!?  :P

Advertisement: