News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

SMF Newsletter - 2

Started by Trekkie101, July 08, 2006, 08:45:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

H

QuoteTinyPortal has had an issue with its shoutbox causing a security hole, as the mod is widely installed it is often mistaken for an SMF issue, we assure it is not, the issue itself is not harmful and will not cause dataloss, but please do apply the patch that is now available from TinyPortal.

Are with for or against publicly supporting mods?

One moment we are against TP and the next we have it in the newsletters  :-\
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Aaron

I guess that's only logical, because some people blamed SMF making the exploits possible. Thus I do think it's not a bad thing to put it in the newsletter. :)

H

QuoteI guess that's only logical, because some people blamed SMF making the exploits possible. Thus I do think it's not a bad thing to put it in the newsletter.

I don't disagree with it being I just think we need to agree on a unified stance.

Offtopic: we should have a security portal with quick links to exploit fixes
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Trekkie101

Quote from: huwnet on July 10, 2006, 08:33:48 AM
QuoteI guess that's only logical, because some people blamed SMF making the exploits possible. Thus I do think it's not a bad thing to put it in the newsletter.

I don't disagree with it being I just think we need to agree on a unified stance.

Originally it had mention to the large user base of the mod, which was my reasoning for including it. If the arcade had a huge exploit that was harming SMF forums, id do the same for it.

bloc

Quote from: huwnet on July 10, 2006, 08:33:48 AM

A security portal? as in a news site/page for exploits in mods...?

Amacythe

I like the idea of a sticky topic/board/site.  I think we should only list the links to FIX mods that are known to have problems.  If we show there is another mod that hasn't been fixed, we are inviting everyone to abuse that flaw.

Trekkie101

Quote from: Amacythe on July 10, 2006, 11:08:26 PM
I like the idea of a sticky topic/board/site.  I think we should only list the links to FIX mods that are known to have problems.  If we show there is another mod that hasn't been fixed, we are inviting everyone to abuse that flaw.

I like that idea and would be willing to help :)

Although its not really our responsibility it would do a lot for our reputation. :)

Trekkie101

Any problems with the newsletter, could I hear about them now?

I'd like to launch it very soon, also ideas on where to put it?

Aaron

Quote from: Trekkie101 on July 12, 2006, 10:41:55 AM
Any problems with the newsletter, could I hear about them now?

I don't have any problems with it. :)

Quote from: Trekkie101 on July 12, 2006, 10:41:55 AM
I'd like to launch it very soon, also ideas on where to put it?

A sticky in Chit Chat, like the previous newsletter? That's where most people will look for it now. Perhaps mention its existence in the news bar?

Compuart

Hendrik Jan Visser
Former Lead Developer & Co-founder www.simplemachines.org
Personal Signature:
Realitynet.nl -> ExpeditieRobinson.net / PekingExpress.org / WieIsDeMol.Com

Amacythe

Post it. :)

and thanks for writing it.

H

Please put this in GD and Feedback not chit chat.

The whiners don't visit General Chat
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Thantos

Chit Chat is a better fit since thats where we've put the previous, the get to know topics, and other general info type of topics.

If someone doesn't want to visit it then they can't be linked or shut the heck up.

Trekkie101

Thantos

Advertisement: