Custom Board Sort

Started by codenaught, July 10, 2006, 07:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codenaught

Link to Mod

This mod allows you to go edit a board in Admin / Boards and set a custom sort order that is different from the default order when you view the board's message index. You can have particular boards be sorted by:

• Last post
  • Started by
  • Last post
  • Replies
  • Views
  • First post
  • Subject
and you can have it in ascending or descending order. Users can still change the sorting of the board just as they were before.
Dev Consultant
Former SMF Doc Coordinator

PrizeLive.com

Cool mod.. I'll check it out..

Just a few questions first..

How can a user set their personal default order? If they click "subject" to sort it by subject, will it always be that way for them until they sort it again?
Get Paid Instantly via PayPal (or other options) at PrizeLive.com!

qtime

thx for this great option.
you wrote 2 x last post
Last post
Started by
Last post
Replies
Views
First post

I am waiting a long time for this feature.

I have one request so far, is it possible to have an option to sort on the first post on a board on visiting?

Now we can click on:
Subject     Started by     Replies     Views     Last post
to sort, but not first post

PrizeLive.com

Can't you just click last post twice?

qtime

Yes it's working, thx for the tip, is this normal or due this mod???

PrizeLive.com

Quote from: qtime on July 10, 2006, 08:04:29 PM
Yes it's working, thx for the tip, is this normal or due this mod???

I believe it's normal...  ;)

codenaught

Quote from: SurfExcelerator.com on July 10, 2006, 07:09:27 PM
Cool mod.. I'll check it out..

Just a few questions first..

How can a user set their personal default order? If they click "subject" to sort it by subject, will it always be that way for them until they sort it again?

It will only sort it by subject for the time the user is viewing it that way. If they returned back to the board the board would be sorted by the custom sort order set for the board. So the user cannot view it in their own default order permanently, so they have to click the link to sort it the way they want each time they enter the board.
Dev Consultant

PrizeLive.com

Thanks for your reply..

WOuld it be hard to allow the user to set their own default?

Vinspire

codenaught

Okay, added a screenshot to the mod page, although not the best of screenshots. ;)

http://mods.simplemachines.org/index.php?action=download;mod=382;id=16927;image

The screenshot is when you are editing a board in the admin panel. You will see a dropdown that lets you select the sort method for that board and the order: ASC meaning ascending and DESC meaning Descending.
Dev Consultant

geekleader

Not sure why but the search order is not being remembered, and I'm getting error messages like:

hxxp:chuckie.bmdistros.co.uk/php/smf/index.php?action=manageboards;sa=board;ID_BOARD=31 [nonactive] 
8: Undefined index: sort_method
File: /home/default/public_html/php/smf_1-0-8/Themes/default/ManageBoards.template.php (eval?)
Line: 391

hxxp:chuckie.bmdistros.co.uk/php/smf/index.php?action=manageboards;sa=board;ID_BOARD=31 [nonactive] 
8: Undefined index: sort_method
File: /home/default/public_html/php/smf_1-0-8/Themes/default/ManageBoards.template.php (eval?)
Line: 395

8: Undefined index: sort_order
Line: 402

8: Undefined index: sort_order
Line: 403

If anyone could help with this I'd really appreciate it

codenaught

Unfortunately the mod wasn't designed for SMF 1.0 so I don't think it will work on versions below 1.1 RC2.
Dev Consultant

edchapman

Anyone have this working on their site? I would love to see it in action.

Krysia

For clarification purposes, this mod is specifically for boards only?

And not, say, custom sort of topics within the board?

codenaught

Not entirely sure of your question.

It sorts topics within a board's list of topics. Such as by last post, number of replies, number of views, etc. If you are asking if it sorts posts within a topic, then no it does not.
Dev Consultant

Krysia

QuoteIt sorts topics within a board's list of topics.
Would it do it alphabetically?

For example, if I want to make it so that the board's list of topics reads like follows:

Chapter 01
Chapter 02
Chapter 03
Chapter 04
Chapter ...

It will make it so?

codenaught

Yes you can sort it by subject in alphabetical order. I forgot to include "Subject" in the first post of this topic, so sorry if I caused any confusions. :)
Dev Consultant

Krysia

Oh, that is just kick ass:D

<off to go try it>

Krysia

This mod is so exceptionally kick freaking ass that I can't even believe it.

I've attached a screen cap of the mod in use.

This is FREAKING AWESOME!

I am sooooo happy right now: I have the 2 essential to message boarding, IMO mods in use:
This Custom Default Sort mod and the Show Signature mod...

Life. Is. Good.

THANK YOU!

<Snoopy dances offline>

Advertisement: