News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Yabbse Forum hosting

Started by SMterminator, April 23, 2004, 10:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMterminator

I'd like to start a hosting company but i dont have a script or whatever to let people get a forum.

help?

Homie

Do you mean a sign up sheet? Do you have a host with someone and if you do is it off a Dedicated server or reseller plan?

SMterminator

I have got the server and stuff, but how do i get the sign up stuff

Homie

Look GO Here

http://www.google.com/
And Search

thats how you learn you have to do research because i was the same way at the beginning i was lazy  :P

Also whats your Server Info like how much disk space and bandwith did your host give you and who is your host is it free or paid, Is it a shared host, or a reseller host ,or a dedicated host.? ???

Homie

Also you have to at least Know HTML to do this DO YOU?  ???

SMterminator

I searched google and couldnt find anything.

I know html and php and all that stuff

nave

something tells me you arent even close to being ready. what kind of experience do you have with hosting? and how much do you know about the running of a board service?

SMterminator

I currently offer image hosting but i dont have a clue what to do with boad hosting, thats what i'm asking. What do i need?

nave

you will need a script that will, by the filling out of a form, set up a directory, install a board, set permissions, and create an admin account, and then email details to the user. good luck. if i knew of one i'd be using it.

Tony Reid

What you are planning to do should be thought out and planned very carefully.

Although what Nave has suggested above is a basic outline of what happens - the technicalities run much deeper.

To do it properly, modification of the forums source code will be required for the database side of things. You will need to consider the security and legal aspects as well(including licensing SMF).

Running a business as a web host is not that simple either, you need skilled people to manage/configure the server and support your users.

Its a very big job and and expensive one.

I sense that you need to spend more time thinking about before jumping in.

Tony Reid

SMterminator

nave

preferably you'd have webhostmanager... or something like it. and be a reseller. you'd have to have a great deal of knowledge of the programming language the board you are offering to install is written in. yes of course you'd have to have cpanel. otherwise how would you set up databases and such?

i have been hosting people for a year and a half, and currently have about 200 members of my hosting. i wouldnt even considering starting something like this. there are so many legal liabilities to consider. start out small with installing boards for people you know. in a year, when you know more of how it works and what are the drawbacks, reconsider what you are wanting to do righ tnow.

SMterminator

Peter Duggan

Quote from: Lil' Ash on April 26, 2004, 04:18:31 PM
If I may, I'd like to suggest a cheap, reliable host that I use.

Quote from: SMterminator on April 23, 2004, 10:18:54 PM
I have got the server and stuff, but how do i get the sign up stuff

Ash Severns

I was just saying, in case he didn't want to purchase WHM or cPanel. I think those licenses run around $1,000 each.

LiroyvH

LoL, I think cPanel is a bit expensive to start with...

If your company is gonna be non-profit first you could get cPanel for free  ::)
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

SMterminator

Trekkie101

Just as a question am i actually allowed to give boards out to my friends?

Advertisement: