Your session timed out while posting. Please go back and try again.

Started by jaws, May 07, 2004, 08:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaws

Your session timed out while posting. Please go back and try again.

Everytime I post on this forum I get that error message. :(  Why am I getting this? :-\

I dont get this on my other computer, just this one.

It took me about 5 tries to finally get this message posted. =|

Thanks.

[Unknown]

Well, it means you're having cookie issues.  I could explain how to bother your IE into *maybe* working if it feels like it... but why not...

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/why?

-[Unknown]

jaws

*Adopts a firefox*

Hmm, I'll Download this, and install it.  I dunno why I uninstalled Mozilla in the first place *slaps self on the forehead* :P

[Unknown]

No, don't worry, Firefox is better than Mozilla ;) :P.

-[Unknown]

nave

jaws

Quote from: nave on May 08, 2004, 02:33:14 AM
jaws, do you have the same problem on bi?

No, thats the weird thing!  I only have the problem here.  :-\

Anyway, with FireFox, I dont have the problem anymore. :)

Fizzy

So this is a problem with IE + Cookies ?

OK, do we have a solution for how to resolve it for our members?
I'm guessing that they wouldn't be too happy being asked to download a new browser just to allow them to be able to post without getting session timeouts on an SMF board.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

[Unknown]

No, he was saying it's happening *HERE*.

The solution is to clean out your cookies, which IE has decided to mangle because it was in a bad mood at the time.

-[Unknown]

sescoyote

I am getting this too, brand new install and this was my first post.   You mean I have to clean out my cookies and tell all my users to do the same?

sescoyote

[Unknown]

Sescoyote, again this is a question about it happening here.  By that, I mean at www.simplemachines.org.  Unless your forum is hosted on www.simplemachines.org, which is horribly unlikely, the things here may not help you.

Remember, some servers are not setup properly.  Being that this was for here, I could tell that wasn't the problem.

Please start a new topic with a link to the forum and a phpinfo.php file or at least the version information available in your admin center.

-[Unknown]

Jeff Lewis

We have this happening on tmlfans now, it only started with the upgrade to beta 5.
Co-Founder of SMF

ECCShaman

;) I keep my cache cleaned out on a regular basis, several times a day, so I have yet to encounter the session timed out problem. IE hates a loaded cache and problems are created within IE when the cache starts to load up. It as Unknown said - IE mangles cookies from time to time, and one of the best ways to prevent this, if one is using an IE browser, is to keep the cache cleaned out.

Keeping the cache cleaned out helps other browser functions as well.

Good housekeeping helps to keep the bugs away and at bay...

sescoyote

Quoteif one is using an IE browser
It's pretty much assumed that outside of development circles, most users use IE.  To have this kind of error on IE would greatly strain my resources to get people to use the forum, I would be spend all my time telling people "Hey IE is your problem, just clean out your cache.."   Imagine doin that to 1,000 users.

[Unknown]

The problem is that SMF uses cookies and IE doesn't work well with them.  Sorry, this is unavoidable.

As far as big sites, I have said this three times to you now, as sites grow more popular they are garbage collected more often causing more of these problems.  I strongly recommend you increase the value of session.gc_max_lifetime and make sure everyone having the problem completely clears out their old cookies and cache.  You may also wish to set the cookie stuff in php.ini, like the path and domain.

-[Unknown]

Ben_S

Quote from: Jeff Lewis on May 13, 2004, 11:48:41 AM
We have this happening on tmlfans now, it only started with the upgrade to beta 5.

This is probably because of the coverted template from an earlier version, it probably doesnt contain the work around that was put in.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

sescoyote

QuoteThe problem is that SMF uses cookies and IE doesn't work well with them.
hmm, I've never seen that problem with any other site I've had.  If that were the case then I'd be having problems with all kinds of sites. 

QuoteI strongly recommend you increase the value of session.gc_max_lifetime
I am using a shared host, I have no control over the settings.  I guess this won't work unless I have a dedicated box and can customize setting to get it to work.

[Unknown]

Quote from: Ben_S on May 13, 2004, 12:34:45 PM
Quote from: Jeff Lewis on May 13, 2004, 11:48:41 AM

This is probably because of the coverted template from an earlier version, it probably doesnt contain the work around that was put in.

That could also be a problem.

Sescoyote, I have responded in the other topic... please read it here:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=11050.new#new

-[Unknown]

sescoyote

charlottezweb

Just to bump this and provide a twist, I have made a few posts on coppermine's smf forum and have been getting that message.  Even after only taking a couple of minutes to type a post.  I've had the same issue on two different pcs, in both mozilla (firefox) and IE.  It shouldn't be browser related as all posts on multiple other SMF sites work without a hitch.  Is this a php issue on their end?

-Jason

Advertisement: