News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

mark modified posts as new

Started by clownfish, September 15, 2006, 07:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clownfish

hi!
is there a mod or any other way to mark modified posts as new/unread?

it's because we use a simplemachins forum for note taking, there are more users which are admins. we collect notes and edit own and each others posts or add something to posts. so, there is content which is unread by other users, but cause it's no new post, just a modification, the thread is not marked as new/unread.

did a forum search and a search of the modifications page, no results. thx!

Artimidor

I would also desperately need such a feature or a Mod making it possible that editing a post makes it "new" again. When you have a Forum, where entries are worked on and they are constantly edited, there is no chance to tell the community automatically that the topic should be read again - unless you post a reply and tell them "read it again!" If you have a community based on such a system (which you've been used to from other Forum software) SMF makes it very hard for you to work efficiently.

I would assume that such a feature would only need a few lines of modification at the Forum code and could easily made a feature, or?

Any help would be greatly appreciated in this respect!
Artimidor

青山 素子

Items are marked as read per-user in a table. To "mark as new" for a specific topic, the system would need to go through and delete the entry in that table on each user it appears for.

I don't know of any current mods that will do this, but you might want to look through the mod site and post a request if you don't see anything that will help.

(I know this isn't a full solution, I'm just trying to jumpstart someone who wants to play with the code).
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Artimidor

I see... Well, it shouldn't be that much of a trouble to execute an SQL at the appropriate code line. Nothing is impossible I'd say. And I've talked to other people as well who miss such a thing at their Forums, so maybe someone has already thought of how to do it or can help here...

Thanks for the answer, Motoko-chan -I'll check out the Mod site and see if I can find a solution.
Artimidor

KGIII

Did you find a solution or did you ask in the mods section? If you did resolve this would you care to share how you managed to accomplish this?

My PC Support Forum
Please ask in-thread before PMing
                   SMF Help
                   Visit My Blog

How can we improve the support process?:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=163533.0

SMF vs. Godzilla? Who do you think will win?

automerge

for anyone else googling and getting stuck: here's the start of a solution (for SMF 2.0 RC4 although).

Artimidor

Sorry, didn't find a solution for the problem for SMF 1.1.x - still live without it and have survived. :)
Artimidor

automerge

but... but HOW?  :) 

Couldn't you use the code I posted to deduce the necessary code from it and port it to 1.1.x?

Kindred

just as a note: On a forum with over 2 millions messages and 32 thousand users...   doing that script could bog down the server forever...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

automerge

as I said... a dirty hack as a start of a solution. If there is any possibility to achieve this without bruteforceing like my so-called solution, I'll gladly welcome it.

Kindred

I can't think of a better/easier way....    it is likely to be slow and painful if you have an active forum... (or are on an overselling host)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: