I have made an application which automatically downloads the SMF database at regular intervals (minimum 1 hour, maximum 72 hours).
For anyone's interested:
- Java based - runs on each platform where Java runs, and has a nice GUI for configuring the forums and downloads. It requires JDK 1.5 (Generics included).
- Supports multiple forums, for SMF lovers
- On Windows it can minimize itself to system tray, and will continue to run.
- I have tested it on Windows XP using Sun's JDK 1.5.0_07 and on a RedHat Linux 7.3 using the same version JDK but for Linux. I see no problem why it won't work on Mac too.
- SMF 1.0.8 and 1.1 RC3 were tested.
- HTTP Proxy support (no Socks yet).
Application should be considered beta so far.. I have tested only on my forums and it's a pretty straight forward configuration, for example I have not changed the default settings. But I can't figure out all the possible configurations out there in the wild, so please let me know if you have issues with the application. (There's also a Debug mode build it, it will generate a rather big file but I'll investigate it and provide a fix if i'll be able to understand what goes wrong).
For the latest update follow this link: http://hex.ro/wp/projects/java-smf-backup/
Screen Shots (using Liquid Look and Feel):
Forum Management Dialog:
PS: later edit -> updated Application URL, thanks SiNaN.
PS: later edit -> after discussions with ups, it may be that Java SMF Backup will not work on large forums with low PHP memory limits. PHP process creating the backup might run out of memory. It is not a limit of Java SMF Backup. For example, 128Mb memory limit for PHP process is low for a forum that has the raw SQL (mysql-dump of the database) of ~100Mb; I keep the memory limit to 256Mb and is OK without zip compression (but still fails if I enable _zip_ compression). In case you have low php memory limit which you can't modify, you might need to consider different backup solution. (March 22, 2011)
PS: I've disabled downloads for all versions which are older than 1.3.5 ... You will now be redirected on the project page where you can download version 1.4.0 (supporting latest SMF releases).(Oct 8, 2011)