News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

A bit different karma system

Started by Pedja, October 16, 2006, 03:38:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedja

User rating using Karma does not show good on long terms. It neds up that users assing positive carma to their friends and negative to their enemies and whenewer they can, so all Karma system becomes meaningless.

I have an idea how it could be improoved. Point is to limit number of Karma points user can give.

Here is what I thought of:

- user can give karma points only if he has positive karma points. When he gives point, his positive karma decreasses by that point. If he gives too much points, his karma goes down. This means, total ammount of karma points does not change when users give one another points.

- the only ways for user to get karma points are by registration, by getting them from other users, or as special prize from administrators. This means, total ammount of karma points available is limited.

- when user registers he gets predefined number of positive karma points, for an example he gets 100 positive karma points

- user can give karma point to other user, and declare it as positive or negative. Received positive points can be given away, but negative cannot. This means if user gets negative point, it stays with him, decreasing his carma for good. he cannot give away his own negative points.

Additional to this, it would be good if user is able to start topic and declare how much points he will give as an award for those who help him. When he gets answers he must give away those points. He can give them only to users who replied in his topic, and can choose if he will give all points to one user who helped him the most, or share points to several users according to level of help he got from them. But he must give away declared number of points. If user does not to that, admins can do it for him. Of course, user cannot declare giving away points he does not have or already declared as award in other topics.

This karma system is based on principle that karma point has value, and when user gives apoint he loses soem value. That would encourage him to spend points wisely, and also to do his best to earn them even more.

HecKel

I like it :)

Now, I don't use karma 'cuz users abuse..., but with this idea I think that should be more easy to control users :)

HecKel
Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on August 23, 2008, 04:10:10 PM
SMF 7 is where it gets good. That has time travel. You can go back and post before the guy who flamed you. :P

Advertisement: