Backup large database

Started by Tom, July 23, 2004, 10:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

How would one go about backing up a large MySQL database? I've tried going about it through phpMyadmin, but apparently the DB is too large for that. What other methods are there?

Thanks.

Cypher7

what size is the DB? Is it over 4GB?

Tom

Oh, no not nearly that large.

Hmm, actually it seems odd that it's not working because the DB is only about 20MB. Maybe I'm having a problem not related to DB size?

Tony Reid

Tony Reid

Cypher7

PMA should be able to handle that ok...

have you tried it through your forum's Forum Maintenance?

Tom

Quote from: Cypher7 on July 23, 2004, 10:45:29 AM
PMA should be able to handle that ok...

have you tried it through your forum's Forum Maintenance?

Yes, it doesn't finish backing up everything and gives this error at the end of the file:
<b>Fatal error</b>:  Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted at (null):0 (tried to allocate 965 bytes) in <b>/home/virtual/site212/fst/var/www/html/yabbse/Sources/DumpDatabase.php</b> on line <b>213</b><br />

Cypher7

ah ok.. this is a thing with your host...

Your host has a limit on the size a script can run... which is 8mb (8388608 bytes)

What you have to do is get a copy of your php.ini file from your host, and modify it so that the line that specifies 8M or 8MB for the size is about 25 or what ever size you think your DB is...  Then what you then have to do is upload that custom php.ini file to home/virtual/site212/fst/var/www/html/yabbse/Sources/  and then run the backup again...

If you can't find your host's file... here is one that my host use... It may work.. Ive set the value to 25mb...

Tom

Cypher7

Tom

Just checking before I upload it (because I can't backup before doing this, heh.) If anything goes wrong, can I just delete that file and everything will go back to normal?

Thanks again.

Oldiesmann

Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: